Sheaffer Crest: Barrel Insert Problem

jah1138

Hi FPNers,

I recently purchased a modern Sheaffer Crest with an opalite (celluloid) barrel, which came without a converter. I ordered a Sheaffer squeeze converter from PSP, and when I received it I was surprised to find that it didn't insert far enough into the barrel. This was unexpected, as the squeeze converter is original equipment for this pen.

After investigation, I found that a weight was inserted into the barrel that takes up the last 1.25" of its length, and doesn't leave quite enough room for the converter. The insert looks like a very nicely machined/turned bit of aluminum and it fits perfectly; it doesn't look like a home-brew job.

I can't find any specific references to a barrel weight being added to the the opalite Crest, but I did find references to Sheaffer adding a barrel weight to the No Nonsense LeBlack, so there's some institutional precedent for it. Also, at the excellent PenHero page on the modern Crest, Jim M. noted "The Opalite pen, though made from celluloid, surprisingly, feels just as heavy as the metal pens. It could be the insert for the metal threads for the cap that adds the weight." The metal threads are not particularly massive, so it's quite possible Jim was noticing the weight of a barrel insert.

However, if Sheaffer did add a barrel weight, it still should have fit the converter. So, was my pen a manufacturing defect? Could the celluloid have shrunk in length by 1/4" without impacting the fit or finish in any other way? Or did a rogue machinist / pen fan manufacture his own barrel weight?

My questions to you:

1. Does anyone know anything about Sheaffer barrel weights, celluloid shrinkage, or any other info that might shed some light on the source of this weight?
  2. Can someone tell me if the Sheaffer piston converter is shorter than the squeeze converter by at least 1/8", or can it be made so? If so, it could work.
  3. Alternatively, is there perhaps another, shorther, converter that's compatible with Sheaffer pens?

If all other options fail, cartridges work. I'm not a cartridge fan, so that would be somewhat disappointing. But it's a delightful pen in all other respects, and a pleasure to write with.

Thanks in advance for any contributions!

Alex

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jah1138

• 3rdlakerobert

• ink-syringe

• Sarj

Shrinkage is really common on the opalite models.

The best solution is to try and find a Sheaffer Targa slim converter.

These fit fine (reduced ink capacity of course)

They used to be generally available online but I haven't seen many for sale recently.

If you don't have one, try Sam Fiorella at Pendemonium she should be able to point you in the right direction.

Sarj

I think you could remove some of the knob on the end of a Sheaffer twist converter, maybe with a file. I would think a 1/4" could be removed without a problem.

Edited by Robert111

Thanks much for the input!

Sarj, even though the Targa slim converter isn't readily available, it was a valuable lead. While looking up the Targa I saw that the Kaweco squeeze converter had been recommended as a substitute. I tried a Kaweco cartridge in the Crest and it works well, so I'm thinking the Kaweco mini-pump converter might be a good solution.

Robert, I had the same thought as you. I'd checked a couple of my other (non-Sheaffer) piston converters to see if they could be shortened at all, and those examples didn't have any extra margin when the piston was retracted. If the Sheaffer does have room to be shortened, I could still have a full-size converter. I'll give it a try!

However, I might end up with $25 sunk into Sheaffer converters and no use for them. I suppose I would then be forced to buy a couple more pens. Darn the luck! :-)

Alex

Edited by jah1138

You know, even if the Sheaffer converter doesn't turn out to have enough free room to be shortened, I could still shorten the handle and the spindle. I wouldn't be able to retract the spindle fully, but if I only need to reclaim 1/8" or so I would only lose a fraction of its capacity. All right, I have all sorts of options! Now I'm happier. :-)

These fountain pen people are wickedly clever! :lol:

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thanks much for the input!

Sarj, even though the Targa slim converter isn't readily available, it was a valuable lead. While looking up the Targa I saw that the Kaweco squeeze converter had been recommended as a substitute. I tried a Kaweco cartridge in the Crest and it works well, so I'm thinking the Kaweco mini-pump converter might be a good solution.

Robert, I had the same thought as you. I'd checked a couple of my other (non-Sheaffer) piston converters to see if they could be shortened at all, and those examples didn't have any extra margin when the piston was retracted. If the Sheaffer does have room to be shortened, I could still have a full-size converter. I'll give it a try!

However, I might end up with $25 sunk into Sheaffer converters and no use for them. I suppose I would then be forced to buy a couple more pens. Darn the luck! :-)

Alex

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but you seem to be concerned that the overall length of the converter changes as the piston is advanced or retracted, which is not the case. The overall length remains unchanged no matter where the piston is in its travel, so I think you could shorten it.

My opalite crest shrunk & deformed so bad I couldn't even if the squeeze converter in there anymore. I bought another barrel and now all is fine.

YMMV.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but you seem to be concerned that the overall length of the converter changes as the piston is advanced or retracted, which is not the case. The overall length remains unchanged no matter where the piston is in its travel, so I think you could shorten it.

Hi Robert,

The length of the converter doesn't change under normal conditions, but if the twist handle is shortened then that would no longer be true. The piston spindle travels up into the twist handle when the piston is retracted, so, even when the handle is shortened, retracting the piston fully would still extend the converter to its original length.

I found that the standard Sheaffer twist converter didn't work -- it's much longer than the squeeze converter. However, the Kaweco mini pump converter works great! It fits the Sheaffer more snugly than the Kaweco cartridges, and no clearance issues in the barrel. I'm pleased!

http://www.malcontent.info/photos/crest_with_kaweco_conv.jpg

I found that the standard Sheaffer twist converter didn't work -- it's much longer than the squeeze converter. However, the Kaweco mini pump converter works great! It fits the Sheaffer more snugly than the Kaweco cartridges, and no clearance issues in the barrel. I'm pleased!

I am not Robert but

1. I have several of these Crests. The Standard Sheaffer Twist converter works in these pens. That it doesn't in yours is an indication that something is wrong with your pen. As I noted if yours is an opalite barrel, these shrink and distort. A real shame as these were pretty colors and these pens are overlooked (imo).

2. The Kaweco is not meant to fit at all. That it does is something of a coincidence and *may* cause problems down the road.

3. If you break off that little feed thingabob that feeds into the converter your pen is toast.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Thanks for the info, ink-syringe!

Yeah, it is a bit puzzling that Kaweco's cartridges and converters fit in the Crest. They're nominally international standard, and yet other international standard converters I own don't fit. However, I did find a number of reports of the Kaweco squeeze converter being a working substitute in the Sheaffer Targa, so it looks like others have had success mating Kaweco converters with Sheaffer pens. Maybe they're just a touch larger than the standard?

Whatever the reason, it fits. I'm not too worried about damage; it's just a tube that fits over another tube. But, if I do toast the pen down the road as a result of egregious tube-mismatching, so be it.

I really do love the pen. It's gorgeous (mine's the golden brown version), it writes well, and the opalite barrel has a wonderful feel -- it's soft. Now I understand why people have a fondness for the material.

Thanks!

Alex