Mb Ballpoint & Rollerball Users -- Please Help

adim

May I ask which kind of ballpoint refill did you choose (bold or medium)? I have three MB Starwalkers, all fitted with a medium BP refill. I’m considering buying the Le Grand platinum BP (I already own the rollerball) and use it with a different refill.

The pen came with a bold refill and I bought a few extra in medium (blue and purple). What's happened, though, is that I barely used the medium ones and as soon as I finished the black, broad refill that came with the pen, I immediately ordered some more broads. Of course, it all depends on preferences and paper, but since I tend to like paper that's a bit feedbacky (e.g. I dislike Rhodia and love Leuchtturm), the broad is perfect for me.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adim

• Cyrille81

• A1979

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The pen came with a bold refill and I bought a few extra in medium (blue and purple). What's happened, though, is that I barely used the medium ones and as soon as I finished the black, broad refill that came with the pen, I immediately ordered some more broads. Of course, it all depends on preferences and paper, but since I tend to like paper that's a bit feedbacky (e.g. I dislike Rhodia and love Leuchtturm), the broad is perfect for me.

Thank you for your quick and detailed answer!

Ive bought the pen yesterday, exactly with the same starting pack. Beautiful, classic look. And the B refill writes smoothly. Only one minor downsize: despite its size, the pen is extremely light, feels almost cheap if compared (for example) to my two metal Starwalkers. Well, in the future I will have to buy also the Martelé version :) . Thanks again for your help.

Edited by A1979

Ive bought the pen yesterday, exactly with the same starting pack. Beautiful, classic look. And the B refill writes smoothly. Only one minor downsize: despite its size, the pen is extremely light, feels almost cheap if compared (for example) to my two metal Starwalkers. Well, in the future I will have to buy also the Martelé version :) . Thanks again for your help.

I don't find the Le Grand light at all, on the contrary, to be honest. The Starwalkers are differently balanced, though. I've tried a couple and they have that heavy "grip bulge", whereas the Le Grand is back-heavier. At least that's what I think.

I have no idea how a Martele will feel, I've tried a Tolstoy and a Beatles once and found them too heavy for my use.

Anyway, enjoy! Glad I could help! Too bad not more refills are offered in broad. They do flow smoothly, that you almost forget you're using a ballpoint.

I don't find the Le Grand light at all, on the contrary, to be honest. The Starwalkers are differently balanced, though. I've tried a couple and they have that heavy "grip bulge", whereas the Le Grand is back-heavier. At least that's what I think.

I have no idea how a Martele will feel, I've tried a Tolstoy and a Beatles once and found them too heavy for my use.

Anyway, enjoy! Glad I could help! Too bad not more refills are offered in broad. They do flow smoothly, that you almost forget you're using a ballpoint.

You're right, there is always a certain amount of subjectivity when it comes to weight preferences. I checked the difference between the Starwalker mentioned above and the LeGrand: the latter is actually only 10g lighter (30g vs 42g). My first impression may have been influenced by the fact that I like heavy pens (Hitchcock: 82g!, Yard-o-led Viceroy 65g, etc.).

Refills: I completely agree with you. It is also a pity that MB only offers the LeGrand Fineliner refills (by far my favourite) in Black and Blue.

It is also a pity that MB only offers the LeGrand Fineliner refills (by far my favourite) in Black and Blue.

I agree. That's why my only rollerball/fineliner is the Brahms, which takes regular (not Le Grand) refills. It was really a deciding factor when I bought it, the diversity of refill colours. But I don't regret it, I wanted the pen to be special, so I didn't settle with one in the regular line, like the Le Grand, as in the case of the ballpoint. Thankfully, all of the SE/LE rollerballs take regular (not Le Grand) refills.

By the way, according to La Couronne du Comte, the 2019 Starwalker brings also fineliner refills, in gray.

Broad ballpoint refills are my favourite.

I like the thick assertive line they produce.

Edited by meiers

I prefer the broad ballpoint as well, which was one of the reasons I got the MB pen, when Sheaffer dropped their broad refills.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a few MB ballpoints and roller balls more than 15 years ago (Bohéme and Classique). Initially I took one along whenever I travelled. But they haven't seen any use in the last 5-6 years, as I use only Fps now. I always have a disposable plastic pen in my bag, in case I run out of ink. I just won't spend any money on non-Fps any more.

• 5 weeks later...

Seeing as no pictures are yet to be posted..

L-R

RB Classique (my very first MB, a gift from my father for completing my university degree!)

BP Classique

RB Legrand

BP Legrand

BP JFK LE

:)

post-122824-0-51703600-1563171576_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nathanb

Reading this thread seems to have solved a little mystery: As I hardly ever use my MB Rollerballs and Ballpoints, I was a little puzzled why my MB Boméme Rollball would need refill almost every time I used it, which is very infrequent, a couple of times a year max if even that. It seems that I am not the only one who experienced the lack of endurance of MB RB refills. Though I still don't know if the refill was dried out or actually used up (even more mysterious as I hardly use it). No problems with Ballpoint refills.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been using my 161 Le Grand BP for 7 years and absolutely love writing on it, currently on amethyst purple and have a new set of Le Petit Prince at home. 3 years later I purchased the 1912 Heritage FP and since been using both at work, currently on toffee brown and have the UNICEF on standby.

Yes I agree writing on FP is heavenly and a very different writing experience as compared to BP/RB. I chose BP over RB as BPs are more ‘universal’ on multiple writing medium and since RBs mainly use liquid ink, might as well go FP for the full experience.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

• 1 month later...

I love my Le Grand rollerball. It's my daily writer. It comes in a broad point which writes a bit wetter than some other pens. My fountain pens are used for letter writing or more formal things.

• 6 months later...

Interesting. I have a Pix Rb and it writes with no pressure a beautiful black line. But Le Grand RB refills seem a little bit smoother. For ballpoints, i had the impression that le grand ones write bolder than normal sized ones of equal tip,but yes with slow start too ; even the M point is quite smooth, but i would really like to try the bold! The one you tried wrote very dark too? Always surprising for a ballpoint

• 3 weeks later...

Might have to try that Broad refill on my RB that jmcf mentioned above.

I too find the my three montblanc RB's are always drying out.

I was curious if anyone knew if it was possible to swap in a Ballpoint refill as to add some variety into my collection.

I refill my Starwalker RB with MB inks and a syringe. Boom, never dry again and i have so many choice of colors.