Mb Ballpoint & Rollerball Users -- Please Help

adim

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but since I'm exclusively interested in Montblanc pens, I thought I'd write here. Sorry if it doesn't belong to this subforum.

So, long story short, I'm thinking about complementing my Montblanc fountain pens with a ballpoint and a rollerball and I'm tempted by the LeGrand series. Therefore, I have some questions both regarding these particular models and the general line of MB's ballpoints and rollerballs (especially regarding refills):

1. Do they write (almost) under their own weight? We all love fountain pens for the lack of pressure required to write with. I know I have tried some rollerballs and even ballpoints at some point that were so wet and smooth that they did write almost effortlessly. Is it the case with the LeGrand series and standard MB refills? Or if you haven't tried the LeGrand series, maybe some similar models in size and weight?

2. How long do the refills last? I know there are tricks and replacements, but speaking strictly about the MB standard refills for both the ballpoint and the rollerball, approximately how many A4 pages could you write with one?

3. Could any of you share some pictures of writing samples for both the ballpoint and the rollerball, maybe with different inks? Either I'm searching in the wrong places, or the resources on the Internet are scarce for this.

Thank you for your time and attention!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adim

• Cyrille81

• A1979

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't say that these BP's write under their own weight but the RB's do. I prefer my Classic BP to the Le Grand version that I once owned. The Le Grand BP was a bit too big.

Montblanc Le Grand refills last longer than standard ones but don't come in as many different colours. Standard BP refills last plenty long enough though.

I wouldn't say that these BP's write under their own weight but the RB's do. I prefer my Classic BP to the Le Grand version that I once owned. The Le Grand BP was a bit too big.

Montblanc Le Grand refills last longer than standard ones but don't come in as many different colours. Standard BP refills last plenty long enough though.

As far as I can tell, the LeGrand versions are almost identical in size with the regular 146 FP, which I totally love, so I would definitely consider the LeGrand line over the Classic or even Midsize.

Could you share an estimation of what you mean by "long" and "long enough"? I know it is dependent on the tip (ball) width, as with nib sizes, but I would be very curious to get a good estimation.

I would also be interested in the uniformity of the line that a MB BP writes under normal to no pressure, hence the request for a small writing sample.

Edited by adim

As far as I can tell, the LeGrand versions are almost identical in size with the regular 146 FP, which I totally love, so I would definitely consider the LeGrand line over the Classic or even Midsize.

Could you share an estimation of what you mean by "long" and "long enough"? I know it is dependent on the tip (ball) width, as with nib sizes, but I would be very curious to get a good estimation.

I would also be interested in the uniformity of the line that a MB BP writes under normal to no pressure, hence the request for a small writing sample.

I have a Classic BP and all of my FP's are 146, WE, or 149 size. I don't use it much and can't remember ever needing to replace the refill. I use the same sort of refill in a Starwalker BP and that has lasted for ages too. I'm not 100% sure but I think BP refills are all the same size, and only RB refills are Le Grand or Classic. :)

My Le Grand BP rattled when I wrote with it, and I was advised this was the "Pix" rattle. I didn't like it so I sold it. -_-

The only matching pair that I still have is the Bernstein FP and BP. That FP is a 146 size and the BP is definitely a Classic size.

Hi,

If you want to have an idea of the size of the pen you can find here on my photo:

39347772612_8feaa783cc_b.jpg

So the 2 gold pen at the left are the mechanical point LeGrand and the BP LeGrand and the pen just next to them in platinum it is the highlighter and in the middle next to the Leonardo you have a 149 to have a comparaison. I don't use them too much but in BP you can choose the LeGrand without any issue because the refills are the same than standard size but for RB except if you are sure you want only write in blue or black I advise you to buy a pen using standard RB refill because you have lot of color that are really nice (UNICEF, Beatles psychedelic purple, etc.) you don't have in LeGrand. For the lifespan I don't know exactly because I don't have change them yet. I have started a Psychedelic purple the 1st February and writing several page daily with it and still working normally and I really like the finish on the paper, really close from the FP ink of the same color.

Hello,

I have a MontBlanc Donation Pen ballpoint and the Heritage 1912 Capless rollerball. I have had the ballpoint since September and I have gone through two refills and I'm on my third now. I do a lot of writing, and the ballpoint refills last a very long time from my experience. I tend to write fairly heavily when I use the ballpoint (But that is just me) but it doesn't need that much pressure for it to write, it's very smooth and pleasant to write with. I just recently got the rollerball and I love it. It writes very easily with very little pressure. However, in my experience rollerballs don't last as long as a ballpoint but I do find them a lot nicer to write with. If you want a pen to write with all day on any kind of paper I would recommend the ballpoint, rollerballs are great to write with but the refills are expensive and don't last as long as a ballpoint refill does in my experience.

Field Marshal

Thank you all for the replies and special thanks to Cyrille for the pictures and writing sample!

Now I'm thinking that, since I mainly use a fountain pen, a rollerball could be superfluous. I can't think of any advantages it would have over writing with a fountain pen than maybe some added safety for ink spills when traveling and also fewer concerns on nib maintenance or damage. And yes, I don't think I could settle with only blue and black inks but neither can I buy a Classique, as it's too thin.

It's good to know that ballpoint refills fit all sizes so maybe I could buy a ballpoint first and then see whether I still need a rollerball. I'm thinking that a fountain pen for most cases and a ballpoint to lend or to scribble something fast regardless of the quality of the paper could be a wise choice at the moment.

Thank you all for the replies and special thanks to Cyrille for the pictures and writing sample!

Now I'm thinking that, since I mainly use a fountain pen, a rollerball could be superfluous. I can't think of any advantages it would have over writing with a fountain pen than maybe some added safety for ink spills when traveling and also fewer concerns on nib maintenance or damage. And yes, I don't think I could settle with only blue and black inks but neither can I buy a Classique, as it's too thin.

It's good to know that ballpoint refills fit all sizes so maybe I could buy a ballpoint first and then see whether I still need a rollerball. I'm thinking that a fountain pen for most cases and a ballpoint to lend or to scribble something fast regardless of the quality of the paper could be a wise choice at the moment.

Yes at work I use mainly BP or RB to write fast and on low quality paper and at home I use different FP with all the choice of colors available. For the ballpoint depending of your budget you have lot of models available at MB: Meisterstück, Starwalker, great characters and writers editions in their special edition have ballpoint but more expensive.

Edited by Cyrille

I do not care for roller ball refills at all. They do not last very long. MB BROAD Ball point refills are are smooth, require very little pressure and last much longer.

I have enjoyed the big Meister BP for over two decades.

The refill, 90% of the time B (broad/bold) has never let me down or dried out prematurely. I don't know how many pages it writes but it seems to keep going for months for me at work and home.

The MB B and the C'D Goliath are easily the two best refills for upper-shelf pens I have used.

I keep a Burgundy set of Ballpoint, RB, and Pencil in a case ready to travel as companions to my 146. They have been in that case for a couple years now, and admittedly get only minimal use. All of mine are of the classique style.

The only one that has had to be replaced periodically was the Fine RB refill, as it dried out. I keep two RB pens in the case, one with standard Fine RB refill and the other with a fineliner refill.

I’ve come to prefer the fineliner for quick notes. The feel on paper is closest to a FP. Enjoy having more choices in colors. Refills have lasted me as much as 1 1/2 yrs.

I use a broad ballpoint refill. Seems to Write effortlessly whenever called on. Still on original refill.

I use MB bps everyday. I have both legrand and classique sizes. I would highly recommend the bold refills. I do not have to use much pressure and the refills last for months.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

No BPs here. But I have found that MB roller ball refills lack endurance.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Thank you for pointing out fineliners as well. As far as I can see, they are only available in the StarWalker (and one M) series, which I'm not a big fan of. But I do know the feel of writing with a fineliner and I agree, it's better than a rollerball and maybe second best after the fountain pen.

I'll be thinking more about my options, taking into consideration all your replies and also the availability here, in Romania. I'll pay a visit to the local boutique sometime soon as well.

Thanks again, to all, for your replies!

Thank you for pointing out fineliners as well. As far as I can see, they are only available in the StarWalker (and one M) series, which I'm not a big fan of. But I do know the feel of writing with a fineliner and I agree, it's better than a rollerball and maybe second best after the fountain pen.

I'll be thinking more about my options, taking into consideration all your replies and also the availability here, in Romania. I'll pay a visit to the local boutique sometime soon as well.

Thanks again, to all, for your replies!

No you can use fineliner refill in all RB pen using standard size of refill so not compatible with LeGrand models but compatible with almost RB models available.

No you can use fineliner refill in all RB pen using standard size of refill so not compatible with LeGrand models but compatible with almost RB models available.

Yes, thank you, I have noticed that.

I'm more and more tempted towards a ballpoint, at least for now and unless I find a rollerball that is thick enough to be comparable to the LeGrand and also in the same price range.

I will see, it's not something urgent, but I have learned quite a lot from your replies and for that, I thank you once again!

I use and enjoy the Le Grand Platinum Rollerball, with the fineliner refill. Very pleasant to use.

No BPs here. But I have found that MB roller ball refills lack endurance.

If i can't see the ink flow level I'm sure I'm getting ripped off....