Twsbi Precision

countrydirt

A first impressions review

I recently received a TWSBI Precision fountain pen. It has been in my hot little hands for 4 days as I write. I ordered mine from TWSBI and chose the 1.1 mm italic style nib, so my cost was $85. The pen was ordered on April 18 in the evening and I received it on April 23 in the daily mail.

Packaging was in the brown cardboard coffin inside of a padded mailer. Opening the box revealed the clear box with the hidden compartment containing a vial of silicone grease and a wrench. So far so good.

I was not quite sure what to expect from this pen, even though I have ordered, used and watched crack and repaired 3 Diamond 540 pens and now have 2 Diamond 580s (One is my wife’s) with the reinforced metal areas where my previous ones cracked before so have an overall concern about the longevity of this brand's offerings.

First off, it is a little smaller in all dimensions than the 540 or 580. To my unscientific hand held measuring, it feels slightly heavier than the previous models. I did put the pen and some others on a scale to get an accurate weight. I don’t know enough about pens to make a definitive statement about the Precision being a heavyweight pen, but this is what I found.

Precision capped – 31 grams

Precision uncapped – 20 grams

580 capped – 32 grams

580 uncapped – 18 grams

X750 capped – 36 grams

X750 uncapped – 23 grams

FC Collegia capped – 41 grams

FC Collegia uncapped – 21 grams

I attached a photo to show the relative size of the pen compared to others. Left to right – Esterbrook J, Precision, Pilot Elabo, FC Collegia, TWSBI 580, Jinhao X750, Wing Sung 3008 and Lamy Al Star.

fpn_1524830726__20180427_054924.jpg

I never post any fountain pens, so despite the fact that TWSBI put 2 o-rings on the tail of the pen to allow for posting, I will not use it. When I do post it, it make the pen feel tail heavy and too long for my hand, but that impression may be how all pens posted feel.

The italic nib I received is very good. It is smooth and provides for great line variation with my writing.

fpn_1524830749__20180427_055013.jpg

Some have mentioned the dramatic "step" from the barrel to the grip. It is there, but my fingers don't even notice it.

fpn_1524830784__20180427_055059.jpg

Pro's - Small body, middle weight, fantastic nib in mine, decent price, newer style, different than any of my other pens, functional utility for posting cap and not opening the filling knob(although I won't use this function at all, ever)

Con's - perceived dramatic step down from barrel to grip, longevity (only time will tell if the cracking concerns of previous models is solved), facets on pen body don't line up with facets on cap when the pen is screwed together, length when posted.

Bottom line - I'm pleased so far with this purchase.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• countrydirt

• Lamyrada

• Driften

• JanKafka

In your last picture the metal sections does not seem to be flush with the ring on the end next to the nib. Is it just the picture? The facets not lining up also seems just wrong. I would have thought the o-ring would make the cap secure where it lined up.

Other then that it seems like a good pen.

Not sure what you are seeing Driften. Must be the picture. As near as I can tell, the o-ring behind the threads is snugged up where it should be.

The cap turns about 1/8th of a turn past when the facets are lined up. To me it is a minor detail and not a deal breaker at all. Since I use my pens and don't spend my day staring at them, its a non issue. If I'm not writing with it, its tucked away in a pocket or in my briefcase.

Edited by countrydirt

• 1 month later...

Would a Pendleton BLS improve the nib? I saw that on EBAY just now.

Good to know. Excellent review. I liked it. Thank you. I have several TWSBI, mini and ECO and love their nibs, although I try to soften or sharpen them myself a little bit and then, I am satisified. I was wondering if a BLS treatment by Pendleton would make a BIG difference. I really like them as they come.

Edited by Lamyrada

• 10 months later...

Con's - perceived dramatic step down from barrel to grip, longevity (only time will tell if the cracking concerns of previous models is solved)

You're worried about the possibility of a metal pen cracking WHY?

Very nice looking pen! Probably not the metal part that would be of concern but the ink window.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I hadn't actually thought about the facets not lining up when capped. That kind of a huge con now.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 3 weeks later...

My TWSBI precision's facets line up perfectly, so that must be a factory flaw. I too don't notice the step down when holding the pen, but I love that the grip is pretty thin but the barrel thick. So I wouldn't see the step as a flaw, because it would have been worse if it was tapered. I don't worry about the ink window cracking, but that could be because my pen is from November 2018 and the plastic seems to be very tough and thick. Good review though!

-A young enthousiast

Edited by Autiflip

Have had the Precision inked up for approx 1 month...and I like it a lot.

I don't see how the ink window could crack as there is NO pressure on it of any kind...no threads, nothing screws to it etc.

Regarding the facets lining up, I have no problem with mine, but I am careful not to over or under tighten it. There is a rubber O-ring that the cap butts up against. The O ring provides a decent amount of play....The user pretty much determines if the facets line up or not....if you over tighten or under tighten the cap (which the O ring will allow you to do) the facets will not line up...All determined by the user.

I have the stub nib and I am very pleased with it.

I find the Precision to be a very well designed Fountain Pen.

Bill P.