Appelboom Payment Methods (Paypal Fees)

AGiulius

For those of you that ordered from Appelboom, what payment method did you use? I'm only using paypal for my only shopping, but Appelboom is charging what looks like 4% paypal fees. This seems too much. Did/would you pay with your credit/debit card?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mew

• praxim

• AGiulius

• doublechocolate

4% is right. That's exactly what PayPal deducts as charges from whatever payment you send to a vendor.

Pay via card if you think that 4% shouldn't be levied.

I bought from them multiple times and used my credit card directly due to pay pal fees. I trust Joost, he has always given me wonderful service. But I cannot say for sure that their back end is secure and credit card information will not be exposed if there is a hack. I try my best to use only paypal, but 4% adds upto a lot of money when buying visconti's :-) So i take the risk :-)

I bought from them multiple times and used my credit card directly due to pay pal fees. I trust Joost, he has always given me wonderful service. But I cannot say for sure that their back end is secure and credit card information will not be exposed if there is a hack. I try my best to use only paypal, but 4% adds upto a lot of money when buying visconti's :-) So i take the risk :-)

Shalom, pchand2!

It's the first time I encounter an online retailer charging paypal fees, a practice more common among private sellers.

PayPal is horrible. I read somewhere that if you take the total of what charges buyer pays and what charges the seller pays, it'll be around 10% of the total value of the transaction.

PayPal is horrible. I read somewhere that if you take the total of what charges buyer pays and what charges the seller pays, it'll be around 10% of the total value of the transaction.

+1 Charges buyer when transfer money from paypal acount to your bank account also... :wallbash:

Edited by Mr.Rene

Do you mean ebay+paypal? In that case it is even more.

I pay via credit card on Paypal, having no money in the Paypal account and refusing auto-withdrawal from my own account. It is cheaper on exchange rates. Something like Transferwise is much cheaper for all, but I know of no sellers who exploit it. It is an international money transfer mechanism, coming with zero protections regarding any goods involved.

Regarding the charge, it is probably similar in EU to here (or vice versa), that a seller can differentiate pricing in accord with the reasonable cost of the transaction method.

X

I know that Paypal is charging a hefty percentage when one is transferring funds to the bank account, I was not aware of other charges since I was only on the buyer side. And because of that I was assuming that the seller would keep the funds in his/her Paypal account and use them to make purchases.

​Only extra charge I experienced was when paypal handled the euro to $ conversion themselves, instead of the merchant accepting dollars (at least that's how PP explained the extra $10). PP is just like any middleman, they make their money from transaction fees. This is usually included in the price rather than being added on as a separate charge. and, as loremaster says, might be against PP rules.

Years ago, merchants in California added a service charge to cover C/C fees but then the state made that illegal; you could, however, offer a discount to buyers paying cash.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Paypal policy has zero relevance against law within a country.

I have in the past advertised on ebay offering within the text a discount for other locally available payment methods. Another ebay member wrote to me that this was against ebay policy (ebay then owned paypal). I advised them as above. Whether or not they sought to report it, I have no idea, except that I heard nothing more, and continue to offer the option where it is merely a local sale. Parenthetically, I do not normally offer it for items I think could be interesting to overseas buyers, because it tends to frighten the horses, and if I were them I would pay an unknown user via Paypal for its protections anyway.

You may wish to check clause 11.2( c ) of the Paypal User Agreement. Clause 7.4(d) also has some, though lesser, relevance. In this country, those clauses are compliant with local law.

edit: stop ( c ) looking like ©

Edited by praxim

X

+1 Charges buyer when transfer money from paypal acount to your bank account also... :wallbash:

Ridiculous. I wish a better payment system appears sooner than later. Until then I'll continue to use my credit card.

Do you mean ebay+paypal? In that case it is even more.

I pay via credit card on Paypal, having no money in the Paypal account and refusing auto-withdrawal from my own account. It is cheaper on exchange rates. Something like Transferwise is much cheaper for all, but I know of no sellers who exploit it. It is an international money transfer mechanism, coming with zero protections regarding any goods involved.

Regarding the charge, it is probably similar in EU to here (or vice versa), that a seller can differentiate pricing in accord with the reasonable cost of the transaction method.

The 10% I am talking about is via direct PayPal payment. No eBay. I have no idea what is the charge on eBay as I haven't used it in the past 3 years.

Transferwise is mainly for transferring amounts to your own bank account in another country or to transfer to your relatives.

You can use Transferwise for any purpose where the other party is willing. The problem for transactions is not its purpose but its buyer protections (nil).

X

Copied and pasted from the PayPal web-site:

"There’s no fee to use PayPal to purchase goods or services. However, if you receive money for goods or services (such as from selling an item on eBay), there is a fee for each transaction amount you receive."

"The fee for receiving money for goods or services is 3.4% plus 20p (20c)"

For cross-border transactions there is an additional .4 or .5% fee depending on the Countries involved.

ebay fees are completely separate.

"There’s no fee to use PayPal to purchase goods or services. However, if you receive money for goods or services (such as from selling an item on eBay), there is a fee for each transaction amount you receive."

"The fee for receiving money for goods or services is 3.4% plus 20p (20c)"

For cross-border transactions there is an additional .4 or .5% fee depending on the Countries involved.

This is exactly against what I have railed in other threads on this topic. Paypal quietly makes the seller pay the buyer's insurance. It is for this reason that one should be able to (and can) offer a discount for payments not protected by a third party, so that the buyer consciously pays for their own protection.

ebay fees are completely separate.

As was said, so to get over 10% for a transaction one presumably is adding the ebay fees. Ebay sold Paypal a little while ago, so far as I know, so they are (or should be) distinct in reality as well as in marketing.

X

Shalom, pchand2!

It's the first time I encounter an online retailer charging paypal fees, a practice more common among private sellers.

Shalom :-)

Among other online retailers i have purchased from (Cultpens, Goulet, Corsani, Anderson pens etc...Appelboom is the only one charging for paypal.

But i over look it for amazing support Joost provides + Free shipping (via Fedex) for purchase above 200 euro + 10% with FRIEND coupon code for everything

Other places you donot pay paypal fees, but they charge you for international shipping :-)

^didn't know that he gave free FedEx shipping over 200 euros. If he does then worth it. Also, have heard that among all NL online retailers who keep several brands, he is the fastest to ship. Only heard, not verified.

You can use Transferwise for any purpose where the other party is willing. The problem for transactions is not its purpose but its buyer protections (nil).

Yep. But if you trust the seller then it should be okay.

As for PayPal charges, from my understanding these are the charges:

For buyer:

4% currency conversion charges.

For seller:

4% transaction charges plus fixed charge of $0.5

If he has to convert the payment into his own currency, add another 4%.

If you are dealing on eBay (this is from 3-4 years ago, not sure what is the case now), the seller has to pay about 3.4% transaction charge instead of 4%, but there are other charges like listing fee on eBay.

These percentage are on different amounts and when you calculate taking the base as the outflow from the buyer, these charges would make up about 10% of that outflow.

It's easy to use, but the service it provides does not commensurate with what it charges for that service. Not to mention that it is extremely biased towards the buyer.

Edited by Mew

I've never had to pay a currency conversion fee as a buyer with paypal. Lord knows I have bought enough pens from overseas in the last few months, I would have noticed this.

We should also remember that credit cards companies charge the charge fees to the seller as well. I don't know the structure, but not too long ago many credit card fees were 3%. I know that is what the company I work for has to pay.

-Brian

West-Central Indiana, USA

I've never had to pay a currency conversion fee as a buyer with paypal. Lord knows I have bought enough pens from overseas in the last few months, I would have noticed this.

I have also not paid a currency conversion fee when I bought via PayPal from Cult pens or missing-pen.de.