The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Plunger Filler Repair Tool

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 14:14

Anyone who has tried their hand at repairing Sheaffer plunger fillers figures out pretty quickly that getting the 0-ring and the retaining washer down in the barrel  is a pain in the tush, especially if you have any kind of adhesive on the washer.  How in the world do you get that thing straight down the barrel and into the hole you've drilled?  About 12 years and thousands of pens ago, I ran in to the same problem and came up with a simple tool.  After reading comments from people here on FPN, I concluded that the average amateur needed the tool, but I had no desire to make them to sell.  So at the 2017 Chicago show  I suggested that Dale Beebee to come over to my table and bring his calipers with him.  A couple of months ago Dale released the tool that is a copy of my original that he as labeled  the "RZ."   Let me be clear that I have received, and will receive, nothing from Dale for the tool.   Consider it a gift to the pen community. 

The tool is simple - a piece of stainless rod with the ends machined, one to hold the 0-ring, one to hold the retaining washer.  The pins are big enough to hold the pieces while inserting them, but loose enough that the 0-ring or washer are left in the barrel when the tool is removed. Put the 0-ring on the end, guide it down the barrel and into the hole you've drilled to remove the old packing unit and press it home.  The same for the retaining washer, but  you put your solvent or adhesive on the edge of the washer first, then press it snug in the hole on top of the 0-ring, and you're done.    Its made out of stainless so that  you can bump the end with a rawhide hammer to drive the retaining washer home if you need too.

For more information, visit Dale's website Pentooling.com

This is the tool:

PT1.jpg

The narrow end holds the 0-ring

PT2.jpg

The wider end the retaining washer.

PT3.jpg

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sponsored Content

#2 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 20:23

Now that is a cool tool.  Thanks Ron & Dale!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#3 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 21:19

That looks like a really great tool. :)  Thank you Ron and Dale.  :)  I might be tempted to add it to my list of wanted items from Dale  ;)

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 22:46

That looks like a really great tool. :)  Thank you Ron and Dale.  :)  I might be tempted to add it to my list of wanted items from Dale  ;)

Dale seems to have a lot of tools that have made it to my "need" list. 

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 EBUCKTHORN

EBUCKTHORN

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2018 - 14:18

Thanks Ron for your generosity in sharing the design with the pen community via Dale.

Barry

#6 adyf

adyf

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2018 - 16:55

Thanks for the info Ron, I'd emailed Dale a couple of times about this but it wasn't ready.

#7 miwishi63

miwishi63

AZPenGuy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2018 - 00:08

Thanks for the information - I just ordered what I needed to restore two pens!

-Mike

#8 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:05

Very nice!

#9 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,791 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:44

Way too go, Ron and Dale! You two are just too much for the pen industry.............

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

#10 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Digger

• Member - Gold

• 2,710 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2019 - 19:03

I bought one of these tools a couple months ago - it's an excellent tool to have if you are working on Sheaffer vac fillers. It takes the guesswork out of re-filling the packing unit with the necessary o-ring and cover washer.

Sponsored Content

|