• pajaro

• mitto

• chromantic

• AidenMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Montegrappa chaos, hands down.

:D

Really though, pens with the classic cigar shape look pretty classy.

"Oh deer."

Assuming classiest means good taste, a design that will stand the test of time... Which is of course subjective.

Modern: Faber Castell Ambition in pearwood... Lamy Studio...

For something more traditional: Pelikans with rhodium trim.

The m205 in clear blue manages to make a classic design look ultra modern.

I've never seen one in person but the Parker 75 in Ciselé or Milleraies also looks like a timeless design.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

In the vintage form I would highly agree. My other would be the Parker 51 vac in Buckskin Beige with corresponding gold cap.

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

I would understand classy being judged to mean good taste, build and style to stand challenge of time and style come and gone, and generally quality on display , with functionality build and even better shown in good taste ( see below ). Workmanship that inspire confidence, and material that do so similarly; well you know what I mean ....

By that I do not favor any particular model, and I do not favor expensive pen either, many economy priced pen old and new are classy themselves too. what I would seek is

• basic and time proven colors, the black, white, brown, midnight / royal blue, maroon / burgundy, just any hue and color that do not burn the eye
  • no weird shape; a cylindrical flat top or rounded off cigar or any variation of such; trim is Ok so long its not overdone
  • no gaudy display of mechanism ; sorry demonstrator, or Sailor King Eagle out of the league; they are show off , not classy

And let's not forget; the pen only half of the story at best, then there's the ink, a classy pen need equally classy ink to made a statement, Having a Montblanc inked with Lamy Vibrant Pink is almost a guarantee that yo are going to ruin the reputation ( when situation demand ).

Do I have some candidate, sure I do, the usual suspects but also some that are probably not so common, say Cross Century ( old and standard ) Medalist or their gold filled model; Hero 100 custom gold fill ( a vintage model ); Parker UK Duofold Slimfold for its understated display of good taste; a Pelikan M200 Café Crème probably the best show of blend of showing off while still retain being classy ( to me )

MB 146 - classic design that has endured about 70 years. Not too big, Not to small. Excellent finish. Minimalist in design.

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I always found the Sheaffer PFM with the inlaid nib and stout shape always classy. The modern Sheaffer Legacy Heritage too.

The cigar shaped Montblanc 149 also has a timeless classy appeal I can't get enough of.

I also find the slim Cross Century 2 classy looking like an artists paint brush.

The sterling silver Yard O Led Viceroy Grand Victorian can't go unmentioned for classy appeal.

Vintage Sheaffer's Balance, full size or oversize, in the color of your choice. One of my first vintage pens was an oversize White Dot Balance in basic black. I was impressed with the basic line of the pen, the way everything seemed in perfect proportion. The same model in red striated would be a close second.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Everyone has an opinion, with no necessary concensus. Parker 51 aerometric.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

When you say "classy" do you mean "stylish and sophisticated" per the dictionary or something else?

On the other hand "Classic"

judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

• of a garment or design) of a simple elegant style not greatly subject to changes in fashion.
    Given one of the above, classy could easily fall into the meaning of Classic. Given that, many pens would fit the description.
    Any pen with a classic shape. Doesn't have to be black with gold trim either.
    A Parker 51 (or 45 for that matter) has a classic shape. Is it classy? To some it may be, to others it may not be. Or only certain variations on the theme. (75 Ciselle for example)
    The Platinum 3776 Century pens are a classic shape - whether they are the Borgogne, Chartres Blue or Black colorations.
    Any of my Pelikans.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Have you heard of the Rotring Core?

I'd say the MB 149, Pelikan 805 Stresemann or the Parker 51 in black and gold.

Parker 51 arrometric would be at the top of (my) list. Others may include:

MB 149 and 146 vintage

Pelikan 400NN

Sheaffer PFM IV and V

Waterman 52

CS 60 Executive cracked ice pattern.

And there can be many many more vintage pens.

Not attracted by moden pens, though.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Parker Duofold Centennial Pearl and Black (+1 to Herrjaeger)

Parker 75 Cisele

Parker "51" Aerometric

Why? Can take them anywhere, stand out in any crowd, perform beautifully, graceful in hand, aesthetically superior style, shape, proportion, in my collection.

It must be black lacquer (preferably from an Urushi tree) on brass.

27739518438_0652981927_k.jpg

41527682242_3498c8b82a_k.jpg

Or this:

40861633731_1829fae1d5_b.jpg

There is a nuanced difference between classic and classiest, even though they are in the same ballpark.

Something about "Look at my classiest plastic pen" doesn't sound right.

"This is my classiest Asian Urushi lacquer on brass pen" has a classier ring to it.

Edited by Tseg

Just about all of them are classy compared to ballpoints. :)

+1 to the comments above: I think that anything with what I will call a traditional shape (Cigar, flattop), conservative colors (black w/whodium or gold trim, silver, maroon and gold, etc.) will bring more than sufficient class to wear in your jacket pocket for the men or with an evening dress for the ladies.

Out of my pens, my Pilot Custom Heritage 91 best fits that bill.

~AK

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

I keep saying I'm going to photograph the clip, there are two simple curved lines on it that help make this the classiest pen I have. :happyberet:

Thin medium large semi-flex inlaid nibbed Geha 725, mid-'60s-72 Geha's Flagship of the time. When the P-75 cost $22 whole expensive dollars :o in 1971-2 (one of the worlds classiest pens)...The Geha 725 was made to stomp MB into the ground, which I think it did, cost DM360 or $90. :yikes:Same as the top of the line MB.@ 4 X what a P-75 cost.....and that in low paid Germany back in the day when the Dollar was Almighty. :rolleyes:

The Geha 725 has rolled gold trim, has a great balance.....back when I was newer; only 20 pens and more OCD, My top three balanced pens was the standard sized slightly larger girthed, MB 234 1/2 Deluxe (52-55) KOB semi-flex, brass piston guts so just beautifully back heavy, all posted of course. The elegant thin medium-large 725 and the light for metal/silver standard P-75. Each pen is different and rests slightly different.

Don't have the rolled gold cap 735....sigh.3IrbiNa.jpg

This picture with permission of Penboard De....they make a much better picture than me.

WNJEM93.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.