Got My Pelikan M805 Ocean Swirl. Boy Am I Disappointed!

sub_bluesy

My 200 brown marbled has two areas where it is light and two larger areas where it is darker, but if one moves it though the light the darker sections have lighter swirls....not that it has much to do with this 800, but how much does moving it through and twisting in a light source change things.

For me part of the charm.....but if the 800 don't light swirl then one could have a complaint.

If there was light swirl....if not 'matched' then one could call it....two toned light swirl. :)

IMO the cap should have been better matched.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• praxim

• BeckonRay

• sub_bluesy

I recieved an M600 Brilliant Green about a year ago and it too has bright and darker areas. At first I have to admit I was a bit 'concerned', but the more I looked at it I realized this is the beauty of the pen. Each variation compliments the other. I guess we are so used to Pelikans with absolutely no variation in their execution that when Pelikan offers a pen with variation (perceived as not perfect) we view it as a defect. I think this is entirely intentional on the part of Pelikan. Cap your Ocean Swirl and twist it about in direct daylight and look at all the nuances of color. If this does not satisfy and delight you then by all means send it back. I have an Aurora 88 Sole and it has a very uniform pattern and is as beautiful as the Pelikan. The Pelikan however has character.

Hi BoBo, I think I understand what you mean.

But, at my Ocean Swirl has Swirl in the dark areas, and it all depends on the light, as you said.

Here are some quick and dirty cell phone pics of it.

Dark area in good indoors light

fpn_1524434008__osdark.jpg

Dark area in sunlight:

fpn_1524434028__osdarksun.jpg

Bright area in good indoors light:

fpn_1524434084__oslight.jpg

Bright area in the sun:

fpn_1524434048__oslightsun.jpg

For what is worth, mine does not align between cap and body. But, I knew it was a possibility and it doesn't bother me (although, I'd probably have a slight preference for one that did align).

Yes, this pen looks different from one lighting to another, and from one room to another. Dull sometimes, and at others, Wowza! I have come to appreciate its complexity and the subdued elegance. I suspect it will only grow in popularity with time.

post-10173-0-83646000-1516745803_thumb.jpg

Some of these fotos show shocking amounts of variance and lack of balance. I would send this pen back in a heartbeat. I also have not ever spent anywhere near that kind of money on a pen. But this makes my position all the clearer. For this kind of money I would expect to be enormously satisfied with every millimeter of this pen.

Some of these fotos show shocking amounts of variance and lack of balance.

Mmmm, variation, asymmetry,

....swoon....

For this kind of money I would expect to be enormously satisfied with every millimeter of this pen.

and I am. :thumbup:

X

Mmmm, variation, asymmetry,

....swoon....

and I am. :thumbup:

excellent

so you didn't send the pen back

but if a >$500 pen seems aesthetically mismatched in its most basic visual component (material of cap and barrel), I think that it is a well-justified return motivation. This is a luxury item, sold often to a very discerning and picky clientele. Get it "right," or take it back.

but if a >$500 pen seems aesthetically mismatched in its most basic visual component ....

... to whom?

The point I am endeavouring to make is that your perception of "right" is not needfully shared, so your comments apply to your perceptions, with the pen serving as a McGuffin; as do mine, at this stage of the thread.

I also have not ever spent anywhere near that kind of money on a pen.

Fair enough. I do, on occasion. I have had a good idea of what I like in both art and function for a long time. Every one of us has price boundaries somewhere. :)

X

... to whom?

The point I am endeavouring to make is that your perception of "right" is not needfully shared, so your comments apply to your perceptions, with the pen serving as a McGuffin; as do mine, at this stage of the thread.

Fair enough. I do, on occasion. I have had a good idea of what I like in both art and function for a long time. Every one of us has price boundaries somewhere. :)

I have to ask. Would you pay more or select a pen that was mismatched on purpose if you had the choice? If so I have a pen to sell you.

Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........

I hoped for a good amount of patterning, which I got. I was indifferent to matching, not expecting it in any of the Ocean Swirls. Thus the question entails an assumption or criteriion I lacked so I can not answer either way.

As for the pen, I have one, thanks :) so I fear my offer for a second may not meet your fair expectations. ;)

edit: word added for clarity

Edited by praxim

X

Sorry for the op and I think people are being a little harsh on him for what the topic is worth. I would be as upset as him in such a situation that's why I passed this pen when I saw the mismatches in photos shared by early birds. The material is wonderful and I really enjoy the special editions Pelikan delivers with the 80x range, I wish they spread the love a little to the 100x range as well :D. Anyhow, I think sending back the pen is the right choice as from what I observed from my behavior ocd on these type of stuff rarely regresses and usually progresses. (I literally can not cap my Paragon until it's perfectly aligned) :) there are some other very nice finishes on m80x range as I said that op can have a look if he wants to try another Pelikan. Grand place(palace? Whatever) stands to be my favorite but Renaissance or vibrant blue are very nice and still available in some stores afaik. Again, I feel your pity op and wish you don't cast aside Pelikan in a heartbeat, when they nail it their pens are truly wonderful

Grand place(palace? :puddle: :drool:...one of my grail pens from the second someone showed one off here on the com.

But my wallet has had me in court for 'wallet abuse' for much of the decade. :(

I can see the disappointment that an expensive pen, is not better matched.

Well, write Pelikan at Hanover and ask to send the pen back ....to them, for a better match of parts. That is the last resort.

Don't expect perfection of match, but do ask for a better match.

All you have to lose is ten minutes of writing a complaint to the manufacturer. No reason to meddle with middlemen who can't do anything anyway.

The worst they can say is no.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

... to whom?

To anyone who feels like the OP feels, obviously. If others feel satisfied, of course they will proceed differently.

Well, write Pelikan at Hanover and ask to send the pen back ....to them, for a better match of parts. That is the last resort.

My Dad was always sending complaint letters to CEOs for various purchase issues. Invariably they all got resolved. I only did it once when I purchased a high end camera from Sony and there was dust inside the non-removable lens. They made me send it in for 'repairs', but since it was a new model they sat on it a month because they had no replacement parts. I then located the email address for the Sony CEO and explained my displeasure. Within 24 hours an assistant contacted me, within 48 hours I had a new camera + a nice complementary camera bag for my troubles. I still buy Sony Cameras.

:thumbup:

Aren't Bosses Secretary's just tops? :happyberet:

Grand place(palace? :puddle: :drool:...one of my grail pens from the second someone showed one off here on the com.

But my wallet has had me in court for 'wallet abuse' for much of the decade. :(

I can see the disappointment that an expensive pen, is not better matched.

Don't expect perfection of match, but do ask for a better match.

All you have to lose is ten minutes of writing a complaint to the manufacturer. No reason to meddle with middlemen who can't do anything anyway.

The worst they can say is no.

I see that you're a man of culture as well 😎

I got a very fast reply from Pelikan regarding another issue with one of their standard pens but as this is a limited edition I can see how they could not be able to help. However I don't see a reason for the retailer or Pelikan not to accept an uninked pen for return in this case

Edited by Fatalpotato

TSherbs, on 22 Apr 2018 - 18:58, said:snapback.png

I also have not ever spent anywhere near that kind of money on a pen.

From your original post, apparently there is no firsthand experience with this pen. So discussing quality control issues over several posts is rather difficult.

TSherbs, on 22 Apr 2018 - 18:58, said:snapback.png

Some of these fotos show shocking amounts of variance and lack of balance.

As an owner, with actual hands-on experience, and not just a keyboard, let me chime in! :)

I have seen several copies of this pen in person, bought one, wrote a review here on FPN with multiple pictures in different lighting, and I can say in no uncertain terms, while there is minor variation, the various copies are fairly similar and not diametrically different. OCD folks can pick and quibble over details, but it is unlikely you will beat the intended general design.

If the alternating bright and darker banding doesn’t appeal to you, no single copy will satisfy you, because they all have that general design! This is why I suggested to the original poster to return it as this may not be for him.

But I did not say this is a quality issue!

In an effort to squash misinformation by those who have never owned or held this pen, it is worth repeating, the “variance” in pictures by users is not 'overwhelming' copy-to-copy variance; rather, a single pen in different lighting can look different, as the poster Lam1 shows above very nicely, and as I and many other reviewers have repeatedly confirmed. When the tone or angle of lighting changes, the same pen, the very same patch of material, changes color from dull to fluorescent. It is greenish teal in some lighting, and more blue-turquoise in others.

This is the beauty of the material and the appeal for some.

Most copies I saw before getting mine at the DC shops are now long gone, so Pelikan is doing just fine. I am not an apologist for Pelikan, as I have my own long list of issues with Pelikan’s general approach to marketing, but certainly the M805 Ocean Swirl’s looks, fluorescence depth, or novelty of the material is not one of those gripes. Love it!

Edited by BeckonRay

This is a weird thread.

All I did was support the OP who said that he/she was very disappointed with the look of a pen. Several posters came in and suggested that he/she should accept the variance and not return the item. I thought it was strange that anyone should tell others what variance that they should be happy with, so I chimed in to say that I am equally unaccepting of variance, and at much lower prices (in my purchasing range). One does not have to own any particular pen to comment generally (and from pictures) on the topic of returning pens when dissatisfied. This is exactly what I did. And then I stated that luxury pens might be subject to even higher standards or expectations. Hardly a radical or upsetting notion.

This whole thread seems like it might be based on animus or some hidden brand loyalty agenda. I really don't get it. This is not even posted in a Pelikan sub-forum. There is a weird group-speak going on here.

Can someone explain?