Parker Duofold Id?

surprise123

I just got my Parker Duofold Lady in the mail, but I was shocked by the size of it. Compared to some other pens I've seen, it's absolutely TINY! It's around 12 centimeters, and I read on Penography that the Senior is ~13 centimeters. Were all Parker pens that small? Not to criticize Parker pens, but if they made all their pens this small, I wouldn't know what to say.

post-135788-0-89557300-1524168924_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• surprise123

• pen lady

• Charles Rice

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was designed for a lady's smaller hand, back it the day when it wasn't politically incorrect to make things specifically sized for women.

Tiny? A Pelican 200 is ~12cm, too. If you want big, a MB149 is only 2.5cm longer.

What would it take to go into the Parker website and find out for oneself the sizes of the literally thousands of Parker pen models over the last century. Or to realize that women-sized pens were fairly common, issued by most major pen companies.

Ans: a little research, and a little common sense.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

Huh. I guess I just oversized the pen in my mind. I thought it was going to be one of those fat, long wet noodle eyedropper-sized pens where the thing was twice the length of your hand uncapped and unposted.

It was designed for a lady's smaller hand, back it the day when it wasn't politically incorrect to make things specifically sized for women.

It is socially correct at my school to have large things for girls, where all the girls got hit twice or thrice with puberty and look like they're halfway through high school. No joke, my friend is 5 foot 5. Her hands and feet are MASSIVE.

One swallow doesn't make a Summer, even if you do live over the rainbow! Pen manufacturers designed ladies pens for the majority of women, and given that they all did it, there must have been a market for these smaller pens.

Tiny? A Pelican 200 is ~12cm, too. If you want big, a MB149 is only 2.5cm longer.

Conway Stewart Dinkie is only 10.2cm, so that one is huge. :)

Peter

I just read on Richard Binder's website that some Parker nibs are duo-point nibs, with the intention of being used upside down.

+1 and also 12cm is not a bad size, especially for a ring-top.

This Dinkie 526 is a mere 9.3cm, dwarfed against the (sad looking) Lucky Curve Senior which stretches out at 14.2cm (capped)

fpn_1524380678__dsc08543.jpg

Edited by chunya

In the old Wahl catalogs, small ring-tops and such were referred to as ladies size (ladies' favorite) and vest pocket size (for men). Some of the small sizes for had no rings or clips and were for vest pockets. The ones with rings were to be used with a watch chain or ribbon. Once you get past the small-sized pens and pencils there isn't any indication as to who would use the larger sizes.

Both Ever-Rite and Grieshaber made pens 7 cm long. The Ever-Rite is a functional lever filler and the Grieshaber a dropper filler. Both were vest pocket pens.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi