2018 Best Modern Flex Pen?

Beginnersmind0

attachicon.gif IMG_0817.JPG

Desiderata w/ Hunt 101 nib & KWZ Red #3

The Pilot FA nib is quite smooth and practical as an every day normal writer, which is one benefit. The Hunt 101 in my Speedball dip holder is quite the wet noodle and needle like, and for normal writing is not the smoothest nor the the most pleasant. Nevertheless it looks like true vintage flex in you Desiderata. I think we can agree though, there are some good modern flex options available whichever route you go.

Nice hand writing BTW. Makes mine look a little chicken scratchy in comparison.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beginnersmind0

• ReadyFireAim

• max dog

• tgeorgo

... is not the smoothest nor the the most pleasant...

No kidding :)

The Hunt 101 is my least favorite nib but I force myself to use it once a week because I think it makes me a better flex pen user.

The Zebra-G is still my daily driver although I'm now able to go almost full speed with the Leonardt-G.

The Brause Rose is still a slow pen but not sharp like the Leonardt Principal or Hunt 101.

BTW...I can pull the nib/feed and clean them in less time than it takes me to wait for one traffic light.

(If I upend the pen and cork the hole)

I have the following options when I get up in the morning for the Desiderata.

Brause Rose

Leonardt-G

Zebra-G

Hunt 101

Leonardt Principal EF

Noodler's Creaper (Yes I did make a feed for it to fit in the desiderata nib unit holder and it works great)

I think this is the new direction for the evolution of flex.

Easily replaceable nib units that offer a variety of flexing experiences depending on if you want. hairlines, flex, snap or any combination.

Gold just can't compete and no one is bothering to try and remake the Ford Pinto.

Edited by Nail-Bender

+1 on the Pilot FA nib 😊

I've only tried 3 flex nibs (technically 2): a Noodler's flex pen (1 stock nib, 1 with an ease my flex mod) and a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with FA nib. I never encountered any of the issues people reported about the Pilot FA nib (skipping, railroading); I found it to be a smooth, juicy, and easily flexible nib. The modified Noodler's nib is actually quite nice, but a little to wet and doesn't snap back as fast as the Pilot nib.

The FA isn't a wet noodle, but it is very responsive; the flex is more brush-like than dip nib though (if you get what I mean). With a light touch, it can also be an everyday writer (my sister says it's too soft for fast note taking 😑).

As others have said, there is no modern FLEX nib. Even the Wahl-Eversharp Decoband (pricey) doesn't compare to vintage flex nibs (close enough though). So if you want vintage flex, buy a vintage pen. Otherwise, stick with dip nibs (which can be fitted into a Jinhao X750/450 or other #6 nibbed pens), or the budget-friendly(ish) Pilot pens with FA nibs.

But that's just my 2 cents 😉

P.s.

Another alternative is the Pilot Falcon (pen, not nib). It comes in Soft extra-fine for more line variation and you can choose between the resin and metal bodied ones. Haven't tried one though so I can't compare it to the FA nib. Hope that helps 😅

I, somehow, have no interest in modern pens. As far as flex nibs are concerned, I have quite a few Swans, Waterman 52s, Conclins, Osmias and vintage Pelikans with flexy nibs.

Khan M. Ilyas

I always find references to the Namiki Falcon (not the fa) confusing. I tried one at Fountain Pen Hospital when they first came out. The pen was very flexible but the times did not separate. They just bent while staying parallel. Maybe that was a bad one, maybe they have changed since then?

I always find references to the Namiki Falcon (not the fa) confusing. I tried one at Fountain Pen Hospital when they first came out. The pen was very flexible but the times did not separate. They just bent while staying parallel. Maybe that was a bad one, maybe they have changed since then?

Strange my Falcon (not FA) the tines spread easily as well as the nib bending away from the feed. It can be a little hard to see since ink fills the gap when it does it. Mine is a SM and goes from 0.5mm to 0.8mm very easy. I have not tried to push it wider. It makes for a pleasant writing experience. It does go though a lot of ink and with the resin model like mine can't use a con-70 converter.

More juicy news! Thanks for all your input! I also wanted to mention, I saw something about putting Zebra G type comic nibs in a Jinhao pen. I havent had a chance to try that yet. I have the parts coming in the mail.

I've tried that hack, and it **can** work, but you really have to jam the nib in there, you have to clean the nib, you NEED to pick the ink carefully, the flow is dodgy at best if you don't want to spend time modding the feed, and once you're done it's damn near impossible to get the nib back out. If you buy Desiderata, the process is about as smooth as you can get. Take advantage of my work!

attachicon.gif IMG_0817.JPG

Desiderata w/ Hunt 101 nib & KWZ Red #3

Damn! That's strong language! I think I might have to start using that. Gold is dead.

Buy Desiderata!

Hacking a dip nib into a fountain pen is not for everyone, and although maybe one option of many, certainly isnt the only option for the future of flex if there is going to be one. Pilot are on the right track with the FA. Just needs to provide a more robust feed for the west. And I wish Aurora and Conklin all the success with their efforts.

Edited by max dog

It's honestly a decent option when you remember most flex writing isn't done with fountain pens. That's why they still make dip pens a century after the buggy-whip disappeared.

I think a good, decent modular pen with a lot of inexpensive nib choices would have a good chance of displacing this ancient product though.

Edited by Corona688

Id like to try the Desiderata pens but only the Daedalus eye dropper is available? Do they make any pens that take converters?

Id like to try the Desiderata pens but only the Daedalus eye dropper is available? Do they make any pens that take converters?

Sac pens are the best for flex and generally the thinner/longer the sac = better (interesting reason but long explanation)

Eyedroppers are 2nd.

Converters & piston fillers are generally not good but there are exceptions.

Wait for Pierre to make some more Icarus pens and get one of those.

You can get some gold plated Zebra-G nibs and practice until then.

Buy a cheap plastic holder and have fun.

Ink?

Ink is called KWZ Red #3 Iron Gall.

It starts out a very nice red but then darkens as Iron Gall inks tend to do.

I started using them because they don't seem to smudge like standard ink & seem to flow well in flex pens.

They also appear to be more consistent in flow characteristics so I can switch between them without readjusting the feed & nib much.

Edited by Nail-Bender

So I got The Jinhao pen, and the Zebra comic g nibs today. I was disappointed to find that the diameter of the feed on the Jinhao does not match the zebra nibs. The Zebra nibs want a slightly smaller diameter feed than the Jinhao 450

Ok, update on the Jinhao/Zebra frankenpen. I was a jeweler so I have a few tools around for doing delicate metal work. I took the Zebra nib to my ring mandrel and gave it a few carefully considered taps with a rawhide mallet to SLIGHTLY open up the curve of the nib. It seems to be working very nicely in the Jinhao x450. We will see how well this works over the next few days...

So I got The Jinhao pen, and the Zebra comic g nibs today. I was disappointed to find that the diameter of the feed on the Jinhao does not match the zebra nibs. The Zebra nibs want a slightly smaller diameter feed than the Jinhao 450

Yes the x750/x450 Zebra G nib hack is terrible. And I hate whenever I see people on youtube talk about it, like its so easy. It is not, you literally have to jam the nib and try and heatset a plastic feed, almost impossible. This same "heatset" hack can be attempted with a Noodlers Ahab with ebonite feed and a Zebra G nib as well. Both are very hard to pull off succesfully. With that said, I use Zebra G nibs with a Jinhao 992. It's a hack, but there is no modifications to do. But the parts are difficult to easily purchase See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/71mafb/gold_992_zebrag_ackerman_trifecta/

The Zebra G nibs are really a good if not the best modern way to flex (of course this is subjective and based on what the user expects from flexing - there is a high learning curve and compromises). The issue with them is nib corrosion. Depending on the inks PH balance, the nib can corrode in a week. Luckily they are cheap. I do have pens that have lasted a ling time tho with out any corrosion, it all depends on the ink.

One of my next purchases is a Desiderata. (Pierre, will there ever be a full demonstrator?)

So I finally get the Jinhao x450/Zebra G combo working, and then I find that someone in China is listing them already assembled on eBay! Sheesh!

I'm enjoying my Conklin Duraflex.

+1

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

FPNibs Semiflex/Fullflex nibs. I'm currently using a #8 semiflex from them and aside from some railroading (only when I start writing, after not doing so for a long time), it performs very well. I'm also using it with a cartridge converter rather than eyedroppered

• 8 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I noticed this in a search as I periodically look to see if any good new flex nibs hit the market. Years ago I went on a quixotic search for the best best flexible nib pen that I could safely carry and use. I have lots of vintage pens that I use at my desk and love some of the old Waterman pens, Eversharp, and several others. The best by far after literally trying and selling on hundreds of pens is a 50s Mont Blanc flexible nib as was in the 146 meisterstuck pens and sacrilege of sacrileges I put it in a modern 146 pen. I now have the best of both worlds with a great modern piston filler that doesnt leak with the most amazing flex from all the pens Ive tried over the years. I still have a collection of vintage pens that I play with but the 50s era MB nibs just cant be beat IMHO.

Edited by tgeorgo

Hero's are not created, they are cornered.