The Biggest Smallest Pen

sdbruder

When the biggest pen on your group of pens is a TWSBI Mini AL, you know that you are on competition for the biggest smallest pen!

post-139386-0-36495200-1524120229_thumb.jpg

Photo#1, top to bottom:

• TWSBI Mini AL LE Gold
  • Kicute Mini or Wing Sung 3007, depending on whom you ask
  • Delike Classic Alpha
  • Muji Aluminum Pocket
  • Moonman Wancai

All of them write wonderfully for Fine or Extra Fine nibs (The only outlier is the Mini with a Medium), Kicute and Moonman went under some brass flossing and the TWSBI and the Muji are the only pristine ones. Delike I never inked until now.

I like the Muji one very much, it is a great little pen. The Kicute and the Moonman are new for me, so I didnt formed an opinion yet.

Which mini pen do you prefer?

post-139386-0-26224900-1524120244_thumb.jpg

post-139386-0-18650100-1524120253_thumb.jpg

post-139386-0-87519500-1524120264_thumb.jpg

Edited by sdbruder

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sdbruder

• Runnin_Ute

• Barkingpig

• sidthecat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had to go to my Physician today to have prescriptions renewed; I hadn't seen him for over a year & knew there would be assuredly new "profiles," papers of some sort that would need to be filled out, so I dropped one of my newest & THE smallest pen I have in my pocket, a Kaweco copper Liliput. I ordered it after noticing the topic about the new "fire branded" pens, of which I had first noticed the steel Liliput, which had been "torched." I found a new one on Ebay for only a bit over $50.00 & after switching the nib to a 1.5 italic, it has been indeed, a "mighty," if indeed small pen. I enjoyed using it this morning for the papers that needed filling in & as I felt in in my pocket, afterwards, the weight of such a small pen was quite reassuring.

Having made an Edison Collier & Delta Dolce Vita my first "new" pen additions after a 40+ year return to interest in pens, it is amusing to see in merely a few years, I have embraced that "nice" pens come in ALL sizes.

Edited by Barkingpig

I have a couple of tiny ringtops, a Wahl and a Mabie Todd, that have flexy little dip pen nibs. They’re a lot of fun to write with, but they keep getting mistaken for whistles.

I believe my smallest is a Kaweco Ice Sport, followed by an Esterbrook SJ

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

My favorite big little pen is the Stipula Passaporto. It looks a lot like the Moonman Wancai pictured above. One of mine is eyedroppered and upgraded to a #5 JoWo nib with oblique grind. For a long time this was my EDC pen in the watch pocket of my jeans, until I switched to Levi's jeans and the watch pocket no longer securely holds the pen.

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

I love my black aluminium Kaweco Liliput even though it's just too small and slippery for me.

I have a Loclen Tiny; it's about the same size as the Liliput, the grip is much less slippery (it's textured, and also the raw brass might be grippier than the coated aluminium of the Liliput), but the design isn't as nice and I didn't like the balance. Plus I found the cap tends to get stuck such that the section unscrews from the barrel instead of the cap unscrewing from the section. The first time this happened I had to use a piece of rubber (the "Goulet Grip", which I never really thought I would actually need!) to help me unscrew it. I've never bothered to try to use it since then.

I love mini pens! Right now my smallest ones are a Pilot Stargazer and JP Lepine Indigo.

The Stargazer is awesome just the way it is. The Indigo came with a very boring medium nib that I will try to grind down to a fine or extra-fine.

Someday I would like to get an Aurora Optima mini or Pelikan M300.

I think I need to substitute some of these small pens to at least a medium nib, preferably to broad ones.

I think I will be able to use them more comfortably with wider nibs.

I use them when I need to carry a pen with me, so I leave my full size ones at home and use these small ones while out. Keep missing the broader ones (my broader pen now is a Knox OBB, it leaves a patch of ink :P)

Edited by sdbruder