Lamy 2000 Replacement Nib - Hopelessly Searching...

Damon

I dropped my pen and transformed my nib (EF) into a crecent shaped mess. I repaired it to a functioning state again, but it's just not the same. There's a slight grind that I can't get rid of. This is a pen that now carries tremendous sentimental value (90%+ graduate exams taken with it, children's birth papers, etc. - I used it for everything!).

Yes, I've contacted Lamy and will wait on their verdict.

No, I haven't taken it to someone more adept than myself to work on it.

Yes, I've scoured the internet for a replacement and found old posts related to the subject (most from 5+ years ago with dead links).

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a nib that will work on L2K???

Thanks for your help,

Damon

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marlinspike

• RMN

• nunez

• Damon

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, Lamy has never offered any 2000 replacement nibs at retail. Hopefully the company will respond to you and offer you some options for repair or replacement. If you're looking for nibgrinder services, there's plenty of recommendations around the forum.

I think that there were some older replacement nibs. The name Karl Brandt rings a bell, but I may have got the last name slightly wrong, apologies to Karl.

Maybe worth giving him a shout.

I would love to exchange my fine nib for a medium but am stuck in a similar situation of not being able to find a source for medium or bold nibs.

Good luck.

My understanding is that Lamy will not sell you a nib directly, but, they will replace the nib for you when you send them the pen.

I saw reference to an auction site in Europe (in a 5 year old post) that apparently had nibs from time to time, but I did not pursue that. Just send Lamy the pen.

Lamy 2000 nibs are available for sale (Google is your friend) but are generally so expensive that it's better to buy a new pen.

You could also buy a vintage Lamy with a compatible steel or 14k nib (there are many models). I bought some of these from Karl some years ago but I believe he doesn't have any more. I suggest you contact him.

I have also seen Lamy 2000 nibs for sale but you can get a complete pen from missing-pens.de for about the same price. It's just not worth it.

Thank you all for the feedback! I'm hoping Lamy will come through with a nib swap. In the meantime, I'll probably try and find this Karl some of you are referring to. Thanks again

If you're in the USA, the cost of the nib swap is $123.50, so you might as well buy a new pen (at least that's what they told me when someone dropped my Black Amber).

Have you considered just purchasing a new Lamy 2000, removing its nib, installing it in the sentimental value Lamy 2000 you have, and selling the body of the new one? There is a strong demand for Lamy 2000s on ebay and I'm sure someone out there would be very interested in buying an incomplete Lamy 2000 to harvest its parts.

I had previously a similar scanario-post it to heidelberg with an explanatory letter

they will fix it- with me they did not charge (not even postage to return my pen)!!

Tony

I just got an EF nib for a vintage Edition 2000 (which had a super broad M nib) from Rolf Thiel at missingpens for under 100$. Send him an email.

I don't like buying a pen to "harvest" its nib. But sending it to Lamy sounds like an excellent idea!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Thank you all for the feedback! I'm hoping Lamy will come through with a nib swap. In the meantime, I'll probably try and find this Karl some of you are referring to. Thanks again

Damon,

If you are sentimental about the patina on your pen, please keep in mind: if you send your pen to Lamy for a nib swap, even free of charge, you should request they do NOTHING to the body of the pen. I sent mine in for a nib swap for the same exact reason and they swapped the whole body for some reason and re-finished the cap (because the pen body was new and the cap had that polished patina). The problem is, their refinishing job was quite different than how a new Lamy comes and I was royally angry. It looked more like someone hit it with sandpaper, and unevenly at that. I reached out to them and got nothing in the way of substantive reply and literally zero effort to resolve it to my satisfaction. They replied once to say they would look into what happened and what could be done and never replied again, despite my follow up calls and emails. I just gave up. This was Lamy USA, btw.

I ended up selling it at a loss and buying a whole new Lamy 2000. I wasn't so sentimental as I was particular and a little amazed that they would do something like that without asking first. Not to mention they shouldn't have needed to swap anything but the nib...anyway, just something to be aware of before you send it in. Make SURE you tell them if it is sentimental, etc...

Good heavens, after so much gyrations and waiting, why don't you package it off to a nib meister like Mark Bacas or Dan Smith? You'd have gotten the pen back good as new in the time you'd have waited for advice or replies. You'd be poorer $50 but will be VERY HAPPY that your pen is back in good form.

Karl no longer sells Lamy nibs. His website is only semifunctional.

However, it looks like MartiniAuctions.com in Germany has Lamy nibs for 70 euros.

It seems that most people have ignored your post! I have purchased Lamy 2000 nibs from Regina Martini and she offers excellent service. (Payment via PayPal.) Several L2K replacement nibs are listed on the site now.

/Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

Robert,

I'm glad you noticed it. And like you, I can vouchsafe for Regina Martini's service. Cheers.

Edited by wasteland

Karl no longer sells Lamy nibs. His website is only semifunctional.

However, it looks like MartiniAuctions.com in Germany has Lamy nibs for 70 euros.

Its nice to add that site to my source list. For ~$30 more then the price of the nib you can get the full pen. It seems better to get the full pen.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that most people have ignored your post! I have purchased Lamy 2000 nibs from Regina Martini and she offers excellent service. (Payment via PayPal.) Several L2K replacement nibs are listed on the site now.

/Robert

+1 ... also http://www.missing-pen.com/site-in-english

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang