The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Re-Tightening Of Converter?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ww2golfer

ww2golfer

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:00

Just got a new Franklin- Christoph that I like a lot. First gold nib for me and it feels wonderful. I am having an issue though with eventual skipping. Writes nice and wet for 4 or 5 lines, then less wet, then a little skipping. I then tighten the converter piston and it writes great again but follows the same pattern after a handful of lines. I've never seen this. Any suggestions to try before I give them a call?

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:20

I would give them a call. It might possibly be an air lock in the converter, but it's not normal.  :(

flying-letter-exc.png

#3 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 15:27

Yes, there seems to be some problems with the converter.
Khan

#4 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:06

Have you tried using a cartridge, to see if you experience the same problem?

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#5 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 23:41

If you have another converter on hand, try it. If the problem persists, call them. They will take care of you.
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#6 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:32

Sounds pretty normal.  I am betting that by "tighten the converter piston" you mean you turn the piston handle.  What is likely happening is an air bubble is blocking the ink.  This is caused by a coefficient of friction issue; so here are the steps towards a cure.

Switch to a cartridge while we clean the converter and see if the problem goes away.

In the mean time; add a drop of dish detergent to a glass of water (don't put detergent in then add water, we don't need bubbles) and manually fill the converter with the mixture.  Let it sit in the converter for about 15 minutes, then repeat the processes changing to fill/empty cycles.

If the problem continued with the cartridge then the issue is in the pen itself.  If the problem went away then the issue is with the converter.

If the problem went away your converter should be fine now and you can go back to it.  If the problem did not go away then put the converter in the pen and follow the steps above to flush out any left over oils in the pen.

This should fix the problem but if it does not then contact Franklin Christoph.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#7 FountainPenGuru

FountainPenGuru

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 13:45

How much did the Franklin Christoph fountain pen cost?

#8 ww2golfer

ww2golfer

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 15:09

How much did the Franklin Christoph fountain pen cost?

First off, it was definitely user error. I think I was just lazy in how I started the converter. I emptied, and re-inked it. This time I pointed nib up, tightened piston till I saw some ink, then turned it nib down and tightened till 3 drops came out. Historical I only did it nib down and stopped the second I saw any ink. Seems to have fixed it in this case.

As for the price, I got the model 28 in standard gold nib for 179. I love everything about it but the nib is a bit broad for my taste. They are doing a nib exchange for me right now down to extra fine. Awesome service.

Sponsored Content

|