Organics Studio Nitrogen - Lord Of All Sheen

Honeybadgers

I don't know how they do this. Organics studio makes the hardest sheening inks on earth. period. NOTHING in the history of inks has ever sheened harder than Ralph Waldo Emerson "twilight blue", "Henry David Thoreau", and "nitrogen."

I've got all three and they are freaking magic. They sheen. Everywhere. All the time. ON COPY PAPER. I think twilight blue sheens even harder, but it's hard to tell, these inks are beyond insane. I'd argue that their base color IS the sheen. And they do it with reasonably fast dry times, with good feathering and bleed resistance, and an absolute refusal to smudge.

Writing sample is with a medium flowing wing sung 698 14k gold soft fine nib.

fpn_1523936333__20180416_202601.jpg

fpn_1523936354__20180416_202610.jpg

I liked twilight blue a lot, but it was a bit too dark of a royal blue. Nitrogen might be my favorite, because on the face, it's a deep, saturated blue, but under any light whatsoever it FLASHES to an absolutely psychotic purple metallic sheen. I've only ever been complimented on one ink (platinum citrus black) but I get people in class routinely saying "dude that looks insane"

fpn_1523936380__20180416_202911.jpg

It's not much in the way of water resistance, flow is medium-wet, saturation is super high, but for such a crazy effect, this ink is absolutely usable in everyday writing. It's definitely a blue ink, but it stands out on the page, and I guarantee you have never used an ink like any of these three from O.S.

fpn_1523936402__20180416_202931.jpg

price is $13/55mL and it comes in a fairly uninteresting brown cardboard box and decent plastic bottle (a little bit nicer than robert oster but I still don't like plastic bottles) so the ink's bottle isn't much of a looker, but you can definitely see where your money goes. This ink is bananas.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• southpaw

• chromantic

• Intensity

I really like this ink (Nitrogen,) but good luck ever getting it completely out of your pen. You can flush for DAYS!

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I haven't had any issues with it, but I never let my pens dry out at all.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Beautiful Ink, it even sheens on Post It Notes! However I've had some troubles with it:

1. Hard starts! Use your pen every day or it will dry out in the nib.

2. Smudge city. I found that it smudged a lot when dry. At least on Tomoe River paper.

A good alternative is Krishna Moonview. It sheens almost as much (a slightly duller sheen, less foil-like) but has the same color, similar properties, and is more resistant to hard starts and smudges. My wife uses her pen once a week and it always starts right up with Moonview.

I really like this ink (Nitrogen,) but good luck ever getting it completely out of your pen. You can flush for DAYS!

greg

That's what soaking dipped into a glass of water (with periodic flushing and refilling with clean water) is for :) I flush my pens for up to 2 days depending on how much I've let ink dry out in a pen--some inks are situational for me and sit in pens for a few weeks. No problems flushing any ink that way.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Beautiful Ink, it even sheens on Post It Notes! However I've had some troubles with it:

1. Hard starts! Use your pen every day or it will dry out in the nib.

2. Smudge city. I found that it smudged a lot when dry. At least on Tomoe River paper.

1) not my experience at all. This ink has never dried out in my 3008, even after two weeks of non-use.

2) yes, somewhat. But partly this is the TR effect (least absorbent paper)

I purchased some Organics Studios when it was first slowing down production from a local pen shop.

The couple bottles I had all had gunk or something floating in them and I vigorously cleaned any pen I'd used near it. I just can't imagine the 3 bottles I got all having something nasty in them was a fluke as they were all different colors.

Nitrogen was a pretty ink the 10 seconds I did use it.

I have this ink and really like it as well! The sheen is beyond description. Amazing! As to cleaning? Dunno. Never going to take it out (and the two pens it's in are EDs, one with a stub and the other a flex nib).

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

​A monster sheener, indeed! I was so flabbergasted by the Nitrogen I immediately ordered two more bottles just so I'd never run out.

I did have a real problem with it drying out in the pen but discovered the problem was worse when I had the pen upright in my shirt pocket - when the pen is laying down (so the ink stays in contact with the feed), it almost always starts right up. This is with both a snap cap Pelikano P450 and a screw-cap Sport. Will still dry on the nib while writing if I pause too long to think.

I would be somewhat hesitant to use it in a really nice pen, however. I had a devil of a time getting Inspired Blue out of a Sheaffer Craftsman, not so much flushing the sac as soaking it off the feed - that took several days.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I would be somewhat hesitant to use it in a really nice pen, however. I had a devil of a time getting Inspired Blue out of a Sheaffer Craftsman, not so much flushing the sac as soaking it off the feed - that took several days.

Did you try an ultrasonic cleaner?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Did you try an ultrasonic cleaner?

​No, I really didn't think of that mainly, I think, because while I don't hesitate to unscrew my Pelikan nibs for a thorough clean/soak, I've never tried doing that with my vintage Sheaffers. I did try to remove an Esterbrook nib to replace it with a better one I'd bought but it was locked in tight and wouldn't budge and I didn't want to force it.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I wouldn't on an inlaid nib, but an open nib, shouldn't be a problem. Many restores use them.

My bottle of this is not the heavy sheener I expected it to be. It certainly doesn't behave like this.

That doesn't sound like good news, especially as you're in the UK. :mellow: Please may I ask where you bought it? It's an ink I've been considering buying but have not yet done so. -_-

I bought a bottle of Oster Fire & Ice then never opened it. :unsure:

I bought all 3 as well. The amount of sheen is immense. Colors like Twilight Blue are basically 95% sheen and 5% actual ink color.

However, while I love all 3 colors, every time I open the bottle = flecks everywhere. Flecks of difficult to spot and super concentrated dried ink that, despite my best attempts to clean or compartmentalize, always appear later upon getting wet. Even several days later, I've noticed a super concentrated blotch of blue somewhere it shouldn't be - sometimes where it should've been impossible to be! On my kitchen and bathroom sinks, my skin, my work table, my floor, even on one of my cat's paws. I've even switched it to different bottles, still the same problem. It's been a few weeks at least since I last filled a pen, and yesterday blue streaks appeared on my wet faucet. It's the ink that haunts you forever!

I bought all 3 as well. The amount of sheen is immense. Colors like Twilight Blue are basically 95% sheen and 5% actual ink color.

However, while I love all 3 colors, every time I open the bottle = flecks everywhere. Flecks of difficult to spot and super concentrated dried ink that, despite my best attempts to clean or compartmentalize, always appear later upon getting wet. Even several days later, I've noticed a super concentrated blotch of blue somewhere it shouldn't be - sometimes where it should've been impossible to be! On my kitchen and bathroom sinks, my skin, my work table, my floor, even on one of my cat's paws. I've even switched it to different bottles, still the same problem. It's been a few weeks at least since I last filled a pen, and yesterday blue streaks appeared on my wet faucet. It's the ink that haunts you forever!

yikes

this might be attacking your house:

fpn_1524080279__the_blob_poster.jpg

That doesn't sound like good news, especially as you're in the UK. :mellow: Please may I ask where you bought it? It's an ink I've been considering buying but have not yet done so. -_-

I bought a bottle of Oster Fire & Ice then never opened it. :unsure:

I haven't had it long, got it from The Writing Desk. It may be that I haven't found the right pen/paper combination. Do you want me to send you a sample?

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a bottle from Bertram's Inkwell http://www.bertramsinkwell.com

On Rhodia and Tomoe River it has amazing sheen! WOW!

I've used it in my Rotring Artpen 1.5mm, 1.1 mm and a Speedball crow's quill.

On copy paper and regular envelopes it doesn't sheen, but has a bit of blue-red shading instead. Still interesting.

Can be a bit finicky to start writing, but wiping the nib with a cloth or paper towel and a few strokes on scrap paper gets it going.

Not going to use it for daily but will make a nice companion to my J. Herbin 1670 shimmer inks for special occasions like for holiday/birthday and the like envelopes and cards.

​No, I really didn't think of that mainly, I think, because while I don't hesitate to unscrew my Pelikan nibs for a thorough clean/soak, I've never tried doing that with my vintage Sheaffers. I did try to remove an Esterbrook nib to replace it with a better one I'd bought but it was locked in tight and wouldn't budge and I didn't want to force it.

You unscrew the nib/feed together with esties.

My esterbrook J with a posting nib was very easy to clean. This does require more flushing than usual, but it's not difficult at all.