The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Diplomat Aero - Long Term Review

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 QuarkVI

QuarkVI

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 23:19

Hi all,

Thought I would share my thoughts on the Diplomat Aero after owning and using it daily for ~2 years....

The Good

I originally bought the pen because it was beautiful and had decided I needed a cartridge pen with pull off cap for work. Cartridges because we don't have fixed desks so keeping a bottle of ink is difficult and filling a pen half way in a meeting doesn't work too well. Pull off cap because I would rather have people be interested in fountain pens and pick it up than try and make sure I supervise any contact.

As reported in other reviews the nib is simply superb - in my limited experience it is the smoothest and most pleasant nib I have used. I would love to have a slightly finer option but that doesn't inhibit the sheer joy of writing with this nib.

I don't molly coddle the pen but don't mistreat it either - it lives either in my shirt pocket or in my computer bag and is my regular user at work - so far no issues with the finish deteriorating or even the silver writing coming off.

The Ugly

As soon as I started using the pen I was having issues with the section coming loose and the feel/sound of the metal threads had a similar impact on me as fingernails on blackboard. So wrapped some teflon tape (plumbers tape) around the threads and that was fixed - in addition it meant the section didn't loosen in normal use either.

The Bad

and here is the big "but" .... when I received the pen the cap was quite tight - possibly too tight - but over time this has become very loose. To the point that I have often pulled the cap off and left the pen behind when pulling it out of my laptop bag. Also, per the photo, there is noticeable gap and wobble between the cap and body which you can feel and see when handling the pen. It destroys some of the beauty of the pen for me. I must admit this has resulted in me using the pen less often than I was as I can feel it every time I open the pen and have had the cap come off in my bag more than once know.

I have considered leaving it on my home desk as I still love looking at it and writing with it.

hope this is useful.

regards

Robin

Attached Images

• TeflonTape.jpg
  • Gap.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 23:42

U really like the style of your reviews. Very succinct. Say what needs to be said, very direct. Sounds like this has been a faithful workhorse that was a sprinter and not for the long run. Shame.
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#3 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 23:58

Thanks for sharing your experience!  An Aero has been in my queue of possible buys for a couple of years, but a short-lived snap cap knocks it way down at least, if not eliminating it.

Would you have a qualitative estimate of about how hard that cap has been worked over the last 2 years?

Edited by Tweel, 17 April 2018 - 00:06.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#4 QuarkVI

QuarkVI

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:07

Would you have a qualitative estimate of about how hard that cap has been worked over the last 2 years?

back of the envelope calculation ....

2 years = 500 work days

and say about 10 uses per day (which is probably on the high side for me since I just use it for note taking and most of the work is computer based)

we are still talking only 5000 cycles ...

In terms of cartridges in that period - I would guesstimate only 15-20 cartridges (large international)

so all in all I would say light to normal use.

#5 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:25

I recommend you contact Diplomat or their representatives and ask if they will replace the cap.  Knowing how good their service is, I bet they will.   Do mention that you love the nib and that you have been using it daily for 2 years and that you want to continue using it.

Let us know what they say.

Erick

Currently in Rotation:

Diplomat Excellence A "F" nib running Noodler's Cayenne

Visconti Rembrandt "F" nib running Montblanc Racing Green

Pelikan M120 "F" nib running PR Lake Placid Blue

#6 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:01

Those are great pens! I owned one, wrote a lot with it, enjoyed it. Indestructible, great nibs, wonderful design.

#7 CraigN

CraigN

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 23:02

Robin,

I too have a Diplomat Aero, having purchased it used in an online auction last November.  The pen is silver and has a very nice gold nib.  Not mentioned in the item description was the fact that the cap was very loose.  The cap was so loose that it would fall off the pen under its own weight, so it was about as loose as it can get.  The pen feels nice in my hand and the nib performs very well. 

I contacted the U.S. distributor, Points of Distinction, Inc., located in Staunton, Virginia.  Hillary couldn't be nicer to deal with and I agreed to send them the pen to address the cap issue.  Cost involved in this service/repair was $50. The pen was returned and I was able to retrieve it at the Baltimore Pen Show.  I am happy that the cap now fits very tightly, but have no idea how long this will last.  I'm not sure if anything else was done to the pen but they did replace the cap.  All is well for now.  As for the amount I have invested in the pen, I can say that I have a nice Aero with gold nib that still cost less than a new Aero with a steel nib.  I am pleased, but will be very happy if the cap continues to fit well in the coming years.

Good luck with your pen.

Regards,

Craig

#8 QuarkVI

QuarkVI

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:56

Thanks folks - I have dropped an email to Diplomat inquiring if spare cap liners are available or what other options I had. Will let you know the outcome.

cheers

Robin

#9 Kodiac136

Kodiac136

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 16:44

I've heard that the caps get loose before... this is the only reason I haven't bothered purchasing a Diplomat. Diplomat, take note!

Conid for business, Yard-O-Led for pleasure.

#10 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,953 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 17:02

Diplomat, take note!

Or bring the problem to their attention:

http://www.diplomat-pen.com/contact/

I just did.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#11 QuarkVI

QuarkVI

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 19:10

Good news...

Diplomat in Germany replied to my email saying that they have changed the design of the liner and since there is no distributor in New Zealand I could send them the pen (in order to colour match a replacement) and proof of purchase and they would replace the cap for for me.

So off to the post office this weekend .... will post more once I receive the new cap.

Very glad that the service has matched the pen!

cheers

Robin

Edited by QuarkVI, 19 April 2018 - 19:10.

#12 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 2,953 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 19:20

Good news...

Diplomat in Germany replied to my email saying that they have changed the design of the liner and since there is no distributor in New Zealand I could send them the pen (in order to colour match a replacement) and proof of purchase and they would replace the cap for for me.

So off to the post office this weekend .... will post more once I receive the new cap.

Very glad that the service has matched the pen!

cheers

Robin

I'll never understand why pen companies 'spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar' with these plastic snap cap liners. It's okay for a cheapy, but a nice pen like the Aero?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#13 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,953 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 16:37

Here's a part of my e-mail response from Diplomat, with a useful datum for anyone wanting to buy one (my bolding):

We are aware of the problem in the past, that the inner cap wears out.

So in the last year we deceided to make multiple changes and since this year we have a new inner cap -soft sliding click- for all Aero and Excellence models.

So if you purchase a new pen please make sure, that the store offers you the new one with new inner cap.

(The article no. for the new items begins with D4*)

We are in good mood that you will be satisfied with the new cap. In case you should have any problem, you have a 5 year warranty, except nibs.

Edited by Tweel, 20 April 2018 - 16:45.

-- John Purdue (1863)

#14 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,953 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 16:44

I'll never understand why pen companies 'spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar' with these plastic snap cap liners. It's okay for a cheapy, but a nice pen like the Aero?

I know -- I'm becoming reluctant to buy any more snap-cap pens.

-- John Purdue (1863)

#15 QuarkVI

QuarkVI

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 18:38

Hi All,

Just received my pen back from Diplomat with a new cap liner.

It is definitely a new design with a new "feel". In addition the liner is now black and hence not as visible in the cap.

The original cap had a snap on/off kind of "feel" whereas the new one feels like it slides smoothly off from a wedge and when you put the cap back on you feel the slide back on to the wedge before there is a definite click to seat it. A much nicer experience than the original cap.

And it seems absence makes the heart grow fonder - I had forgotten how much I liked this pen and very glad to have it back in hand. Will write away and see how the new liner lasts long term.

A big thank you to Diplomat for their great service - has added to the intangible value of the pen for me.

cheers

Robin

#16 zap210

zap210

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 23:22

I had the same cap problem. It eventually loosened up until it rattled. I sent Hillary a note, and after a few weeks they sent a new pen with the redesigned cap. Unusually, I did have to touch up the nib since it was more of a F than M and was a bit toothy. No problems so far. Its definitely an artsy pen and heavy but it writes extremely well and will probably outlast me. Its on my EDC list. Diplomat pens seem to always get high marks but one does not hear about them often. Diplomat customer service is really excellent, as good as Parker or Sheaffer in the 60's.

Sponsored Content

|