The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot Custom 92 Vs Twsbi 580?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Xeros

Xeros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 14:29

I purchased a Pilot CH 92 on impulse from eBay that I'm waiting to be shipped to me.

I'm not sure if it was really worth it though, would you guys consider it a considerable upgrade over my current twsbi 580?

They seem pretty similar besides the gold vs steel nibs

Sponsored Content

#2 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 14:50

I have the "92" and love it!  C. S. 

#3 iruciperi

iruciperi

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 15:08

Being an upgrade or not depends on your taste, but I think CH912 is quite different from TWSBI 580. 

In my experience, TWSBI nibs give a bit of feedback, but Pilot gold nibs are smooth and wet. They are also softer than other gold nibs with similar size, while TWSBI nibs are firm. So you don't have to worry about buying a similar pen. And in my taste, CH912 is much better pen thatn TWSBI 580 except for Pilot converters.

#4 Driften

Driften

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 16:25

The custom 92 is a nice pen. It's a little bit thinner and smaller then a 580. The nib with will run thinner then the 580 nibs. I would expect it to write good. I like both pens.

#5 biancitwo

biancitwo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 16:52

I recently got two Pilot Custom 92s. I really like the shape and feel. One has a music nib, The other has a BB. I like the pens, except for the converter, a con 70. The converter is awkward to use, and more so to clean. I will refill cartridges. The BB nib is wet and smooth, with no skips, or hard starts. I will send it to Pendleton Brown for one of his wonderful italics. I have a 580. I don't use it. The 580's stub nib writes fairly well, but has always skipped a little. The pen feels big and hard. I prefer the 580's piston filler over the c/c of the Pilot.

#6 CAG_1787

CAG_1787

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 16:54

I recently got two Pilot Custom 92s. I really like the shape and feel. One has a music nib, The other has a BB. I like the pens, except for the converter, a con 70. The converter is awkward to use, and more so to clean. I will refill cartridges. The BB nib is wet and smooth, with no skips, or hard starts. I will send it to Pendleton Brown for one of his wonderful italics. I have a 580. I don't use it. The 580's stub nib writes fairly well, but has always skipped a little. The pen feels big and hard. I prefer the 580's piston filler over the c/c of the Pilot.

The 92 is a piston filler - the "equivalent" Pilot with a converter is the 74. 

“You cultivate the essential virtues: high purpose, intelligence, decency, humility, fear of the Lord, and the passion for freedom.” - William F. Buckley, Jr.

#7 voltron

voltron

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 18:29

He might be confusing it with Pilot CH91 which is also a C/C pen.

#8 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 21:27

I have a 580 but not the 92. But that being said, I would say the 92 is an upgrade over the 580. When was the last time you heard about a cracked barrel or cap on a 92? I have been on these boards now for over 5 years and don't recall one ever. I have heard about a number of 580's with the same issue.

And that is just the one issue. Don't get me wrong, my 580 is rarely not inked and gets used regularly. Right now it has KWZI El Dorado in it. I bought it with a B and had it stubbed. Great nib.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#9 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 21:34

How much did you pay for the CH 92? 

This question of yours is like comparing a Mercedes to a Honda. They can look similar in some ways, but the tier of each is far from each other. It all comes down to preference. I, personally, would buy the TWSBI just because I am a middle school (nearly high school!) student who has to constantly be on guard against thievery. The gold, fancy nib of the Pilot would be a dead giveaway.

#10 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:34

The CH 92 would certainly be an upgrade.
Khan

#11 biancitwo

biancitwo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:22

I misspoke. Mine are 912s. They are definitely converter filled.

Edited by biancitwo, 17 April 2018 - 17:09.

Sponsored Content

|