The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How To Get A Good Deal In Ebay - Patience

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 14:18

https://www.ebay.com...=p2471758.m4704

This was the result of many days of scrolling through eBay and putting light bids on pens I expected to explode in price. As you can see, no one was looking at this pen, at that day, at that hour. I fully expect the seller to be lying and to find myself an ossified sac. However, this pen was not on the primary list feed when you search up "Parker Duofold" until the last 30 minutes. Before then, you found it under the "similar items" category at the bottom of the list. These niche corner pens that slip through the algorithm cracks are the deals you can routinely find, with patience. This seller also has some other pens on the low side of the algorithm you might want to try your luck at. 

seller:

lovecollectibles

Similar item on Peyton's: 

http://www.peytonstr...e-restored.html

Edited by surprise123, 16 April 2018 - 14:18.

Sponsored Content

#2 colbydgonzalez

colbydgonzalez

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 15:10

Congratulations on your victory! Let me know how it writes as my experience with Parker Duofolds hasn't been all too great. Mine seem to write on the dry side. 

~Colby Gonzalez

#3 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 15:13

Well done, hope it turns out to be what you think it will be.

#4 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 21:14

Congratulations on your victory! Let me know how it writes as my experience with Parker Duofolds hasn't been all too great. Mine seem to write on the dry side. 

I tried a neat little trick I found on Reddit: Go and buy some brass sheets from Goulet Pens, sandwich 2 together, and gently floss the tines for a wet and crazy writing experience. I went from half a sheet to one sheet, and then to 2 sheets. It worked on my Parker 51. A PARKER 51!

Make sure you start with ONE SHEET. Shoving two into the slit will kill your pen, regardless of how stiff the nib is. If you're hesitant, practice on a cheap pen (platinum preppy) first. 

#5 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 21:16

Well done, hope it turns out to be what you think it will be.

Doesn't matter, I have duofold sacs, a blind cap/button/press bar for ringtops, talc, and extra shellac. And mylar. And brass flossing sheets. I am prepared for the worst. But seeing as this seller has 100% good feedback on over 50 items, I am fairly confident.

#6 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 16:07

Doesn't matter, I have duofold sacs, a blind cap/button/press bar for ringtops, talc, and extra shellac. And mylar. And brass flossing sheets. I am prepared for the worst. But seeing as this seller has 100% good feedback on over 50 items, I am fairly confident.

Too much going on here, glad you are happy with your deal....

#7 RetiredAdman

RetiredAdman

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 18:20

Great catch. Patience is a virtue. Thanks for the info, I will try to put it to good use.

Regards,

Ed

#8 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:09

Patience works, as does knowing a bit more than the seller. I won a wonderful Waterman obscurity recently for the starting price because I knew what it was and the seller didn’t. Nor did anyone else on the Internet because the pictures didn’t do justice to the pen.
I’ll pay through the nose for the next one, just to even out my karma.

#9 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:43

Patience works, as does knowing a bit more than the seller. I won a wonderful Waterman obscurity recently for the starting price because I knew what it was and the seller didn’t. Nor did anyone else on the Internet because the pictures didn’t do justice to the pen.
I’ll pay through the nose for the next one, just to even out my karma.

That too. I have a detailed list of sellers who came across insane things (I saw a low tier seller auction off a Saint Gaudens coin for 2,000 dollars that he got from an estate sale. 3 weeks later, he showed up with the Parker 51 Aero that now resides in my top-5 leather pen case.) This includes the sellers out there who regularly restore and sell pens, with huge reputations.

#10 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:22

I have engaged patience with a couple of pens that regularly show up as BIN just a bit too high for my taste. One is still showing up regularly - I think it's been about a year now... the other saw a 20 euro price reduction, on which I jumped.

Patience is a virtue. It's also money in the bank :-)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#11 drewart

drewart

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2018 - 21:36

There is a Eversharp Coronet gold filled pen and pencil set...no monogram on ebay. How do I determine the value of such a rare gem, I have always wanted one of these sets. :)

Sponsored Content

|