Unexpected Parker Duofold Bid Snipe

surprise123

One thing to remember - don't keep that pen in any kind of airtight storage (e.g. wrapped in plastic, sealed in a tight case, etc.)

As old celluloid ages, it can give off tiny amounts of nitric acid. If the pen is kept in a ventilated environment this will evaporate harmlessly, but in a sealed environment the acidic fumes can concentrate and corrode the metal trim of the pen over time. If you use the pen regularly this should be of no concern, as your pen would be exposed to plenty of fresh air. Just don't chuck it into a pen case and forget about it for a few years.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• surprise123

• Tweel

• FarmBoy

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll check to see if the seller replaced the sac with a rubber sac, or a clear latex one.

I think the rubber and latex sacs are the same. The clear ones are silicone sacs.

Khan M. Ilyas

Also:

Are all duofold nibs interchangeable? Because I want to find a duofold jr to put the nib in. It looks gorgeous.

Don't do that. Nib removal in a vintage pen like this is not a straightforward job of pulling out the nib and feed like you might on a modern Pilot Metro. You would need some specialized tools - a nib knockout block of the appropriate size, section pliers, some means of applying very precise amounts of heat (remember the flammability of celluloid!), etc...

Nib pulling in a vintage pen should not be done without good cause. Wanting to swap nibs just for the heck of it seldom qualifies as "good cause".

I really hope it has a flex nib...

Unlikely, as the vast majority of Duofolds have stiff nibs (as do most Parkers, then and now). If it does have one, though, you'd have gotten the deal of the millenium! :lol:

And last but not least - congratulations on getting a great deal on this gorgeous pen! (FPN really needs a "sumgai" emoticon, hmm... :D )

Also:

Don't do that. Nib removal in a vintage pen like this is not a straightforward job of pulling out the nib and feed like you might on a modern Pilot Metro. You would need some specialized tools - a nib knockout block of the appropriate size, section pliers, some means of applying very precise amounts of heat (remember the flammability of celluloid!), etc...

Nib pulling in a vintage pen should not be done without good cause. Wanting to swap nibs just for the heck of it seldom qualifies as "good cause".

Unlikely, as the vast majority of Duofolds have stiff nibs (as do most Parkers, then and now). If it does have one, though, you'd have gotten the deal of the millenium! :lol:

And last but not least - congratulations on getting a great deal on this gorgeous pen! (FPN really needs a "sumgai" emoticon, hmm... :D )

Oh. Oh my. Ok. I was planning on trying to take it out when I got it. Thanks for the heads up!

One thing to remember - don't keep that pen in any kind of airtight storage (e.g. wrapped in plastic, sealed in a tight case, etc.)

As old celluloid ages, it can give off tiny amounts of nitric acid. If the pen is kept in a ventilated environment this will evaporate harmlessly, but in a sealed environment the acidic fumes can concentrate and corrode the metal trim of the pen over time. If you use the pen regularly this should be of no concern, as your pen would be exposed to plenty of fresh air. Just don't chuck it into a pen case and forget about it for a few years.

Don't let poisonous gas emanating from a pen collect. Check.

The deal with cellulose nitrate is this: don't over heat it. Open flame is just dangerous and temperatures above 155 F start getting dicey. The problem with the old cellulose nitrate based plastics is that you don't know how stable they are or are not. Maybe they will be OK at 170 degrees, maybe they won't. And when they are too hot, they are too hot very quickly, with surprising results. Also, don't use hot water as a heat source as it will cloud celluloid.

The other thing I might wonder about is the advisability to using a silicone sac in a button filling pen that you are planning to use as a functional pen. The sac may be too stiff for the filler. Someone with more experience with this pen and silicone sacs will have to chime in. I'm also not sure there is a problem with modern latex sacs in terms of discoloration. Again, an expert voice would be in order.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I think that, since the pen is already discolored, I don't care too much for aesthetics. I wanted that nib.

Heck, if I wanted to, I could take a washbin and stain the entire pen black. Am I going to do that? No.

The other thing I might wonder about is the advisability to using a silicone sac in a button filling pen that you are planning to use as a functional pen. The sac may be too stiff for the filler. Someone with more experience with this pen and silicone sacs will have to chime in.

I already did ;) . It's fine.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

And if this pen has a Lucky Curve feed, it's more complex than that -- you can't just knock it out.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

See, this is why I came here. Everyone tells me precisely what to do and what not to do, thus saving me from worry and trepidation.

Yes... 28 green beans for something that went for 150 green beans on Peyton's. I was bound to find one of these sooner or later since everyone was using bid snipe bots.

Take a deep breath and slow down.

The pen you linked to on ebay sold for 26.88 plus 8.75 shipping, not 28 beans and is 'as is'. The pen you link to on PSP is listed at 115 not 150 and comes with a warranty.

Not that you got a bad deal at all but details are important if you want standing.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sorry, didn't mean to do that. But I wanted that nib. If the sac is ossified, fine! But I can use it at home as a dip pen. That nib looks gorgeous.

It's your pen now, of course, so this is just a suggestion: before you blow it up, rip it apart, or dunk it in vats of black dye... try the pen first. Your future self might thank your present self for the restraint.

-- John Purdue (1863)

I already did ;) . It's fine.

Actually, I am questioning whether the silicone sac is right for this pen. Button fillers, by design, put a lot of stress on the pressure bar and using a silicone, that is less elastic than a latex sac, seems like asking for trouble. The pen is already discolored so using a latex sac poses less problem. The pen will also fill better with a latex sac.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

It's your pen now, of course, so this is just a suggestion: before you blow it up, rip it apart, or dunk it in vats of black dye... try the pen first. Your future self might thank your present self for the restraint.

And, it is really not all that hard to re-sac this pen. Just do your research and when you know how to take the pen apart safely, proceed ahead. These old Duofolds can be great writing pens.

Kelly, are you possibly thinking of PVC sacs, à la Woodbin? Silicone sacs aren't stiff, do fill, and in the case of my Duofold, don't cause flooding of the feed by gas diffusion (I left it, filled, capped and point-down, for a couple of days as a test).

-- John Purdue (1863)

I am again a fan of the standard latex sac. No implants or vinyl for me.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sorry, didn't mean to do that. But I wanted that nib. If the sac is ossified, fine! But I can use it at home as a dip pen. That nib looks gorgeous.

Glad you like the nib. As far as I can tell it is a standard Lady Duofold nib. I'd be interested in knowing what I'm missing.

Since it already has a new black latex sac, and the barrel is heavily discolored already, I won't see any difference in using a silicone one, which, as aforementioned, is tougher on the button filler bar.