The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Unexpected Parker Duofold Bid Snipe

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:05

So I got a gift card from a visiting relative a few days ago, and I've been bidding one at a time, on restored pens that I expected to go for more than 100 dollars. Well, apparently no one was paying attention because I accidentally bid and won a jade celluloid Parker Duofold Lady Ringtop. For $25. What now? What should I do with it when it gets here? What are the do's and don'ts of a celluloid pen? (I heard they could explode???)

Sponsored Content

#2 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:14

If it is restored, ink it and use it. And expect the best. It wouldn't explode unless the time for its explosion has arrived. :)

Edited by mitto, 16 April 2018 - 13:33.

Khan

#3 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:21

I saw a random clip of an exploding fp when it got dunked in some random liquid, and it looked like *cringe* a duofold.

#4 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:34

Okay. So I searched it up and found out that billiard balls made from celluloid was very common back then, and that the exploding sound they made were an everyday thing. Okay then...

#5 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:35

Celluloid was made using GUN COTTON???

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 9,373 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:42

I believe there are some unstable Noodlers inks, such as dragon napalm, that when put in the wrong pen can result in the undesired as described.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#7 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:43

https://m.ebay.com/i..._app-cvip-panel

Peytons: Exact same type

http://www.peytonstr...e-restored.html

Edited by surprise123, 16 April 2018 - 14:04.

#8 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:43

I believe there are some unstable Noodlers inks, such as dragon napalm, that when put in the wrong pen can result in the undesired as described.

I think the name gave it away.

#9 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:45

Whatcha think about the pen? Was it worth the money? I've seen Duofolds with flexible nibs go for 150 green beans.

#10 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:56

Nitrocellulose? Pyroxylin? Flash paper? Gun cotton? This pen is a ticking bomb!

#11 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:21

Whatcha think about the pen? Was it worth the money? I've seen Duofolds with flexible nibs go for 150 green beans.

I think it is superb, my favorite era of Parker pen manufacturing. The nib looks very good and the pen has a new sac and works.

You got a real bargain.

She is never one to let humility get in the way of a confrontation.

#12 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 13:35

+1
Khan

#13 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 13:35

Nice find!  If you are not used to vintage pens, take the time to read up about filling systems.  This one is a button filler, don't be surprised if there is only a little movement when you press the button.  I think your pen is an early Duofold, (it doesn't look streamlined to me) so is over 90 years old, the material is stable, unlike some Waterman and Wahl early plastics, but, given it's age, I'd treat it with care and respect.

#14 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 13:59

I think it is superb, my favorite era of Parker pen manufacturing. The nib looks very good and the pen has a new sac and works.

You got a real bargain.

Yes... 28 green beans for something that went for 150 green beans on Peyton's. I was bound to find one of these sooner or later since everyone was using bid snipe bots.

#15 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 14:03

Nice find!  If you are not used to vintage pens, take the time to read up about filling systems.  This one is a button filler, don't be surprised if there is only a little movement when you press the button.  I think your pen is an early Duofold, (it doesn't look streamlined to me) so is over 90 years old, the material is stable, unlike some Waterman and Wahl early plastics, but, given it's age, I'd treat it with care and respect.

Should I put in on Classifieds (I'm typing this at school right now) because I can't use it at school? Even my Pilot Metro has sustained casualties. And I read about the button filler on Richard Binder's website. I'm rotating a Parker 51 and a 21 right now, so I can't say I've gotten into those really old, fragile BCHR eyedroppers with wet noodles yet.

#16 Kodiac136

Kodiac136

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 14:17

Should I put in on Classifieds (I'm typing this at school right now) because I can't use it at school? Even my Pilot Metro has sustained casualties. And I read about the button filler on Richard Binder's website. I'm rotating a Parker 51 and a 21 right now, so I can't say I've gotten into those really old, fragile BCHR eyedroppers with wet noodles yet.

Get a pen pouch and there's no reason you can't carry it (as long is it has been restored of course).

Conid for business, Yard-O-Led for pleasure.

#17 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 14:49

I have a leather pen pouch, but I'm more afraid about crushing the pen than I am of scratching it. I'll carry it in a hard pen case, in a pen slip. Does anyone know the function of the ring? Does it turn the cap or is it just there to hang on a lanyard?

#18 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 15:29

I have a leather pen pouch, but I'm more afraid about crushing the pen than I am of scratching it. I'll carry it in a hard pen case, in a pen slip. Does anyone know the function of the ring? Does it turn the cap or is it just there to hang on a lanyard?

Lanyard isnt quite the write word, its a for a chatelaine which is a decorative chain or necklace.

Perhaps just use it as it is.

We all have our own opinions on how much  treatment a pen should be given, for me, this would be a stay at home pen

She is never one to let humility get in the way of a confrontation.

#19 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 16:13

Congratulations Surprise on the deal of the century! :thumbup:

If I were you, I would take Parkette's advice and keep it at home.

Yes... the ring on the cap is for a necklace chain... these pens were designed for ladies back in the day... even in my day... and in the schools I went to,... you would have been chased out of the school if you wore that on a chain around your neck... :D ...but these days,... there do not seem to be any gender standards left.

Enjoy your new pen... but for the sake of its age, condition and growing scarcity... I'd keep it at home. ;)

Be well. :)

- Anthony
With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#20 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 18:59

Congratulations Surprise on the deal of the century! :thumbup:

If I were you, I would take Parkette's advice and keep it at home.

Yes... the ring on the cap is for a necklace chain... these pens were designed for ladies back in the day... even in my day... and in the schools I went to,... you would have been chased out of the school if you wore that on a chain around your neck... :D ...but these days,... there do not seem to be any gender standards left.

Enjoy your new pen... but for the sake of its age, condition and growing scarcity... I'd keep it at home. ;)

Be well. :)

- Anthony

I was grinning like an idiot and I was at a potluck... and yeah, no way am I going to take this to school. I walk by an elderly home after school, and I already got seen with a 51.

Edited by surprise123, 16 April 2018 - 19:02.

Sponsored Content

|