Unexpected Parker Duofold Bid Snipe

surprise123

So I got a gift card from a visiting relative a few days ago, and I've been bidding one at a time, on restored pens that I expected to go for more than 100 dollars. Well, apparently no one was paying attention because I accidentally bid and won a jade celluloid Parker Duofold Lady Ringtop. For $25. What now? What should I do with it when it gets here? What are the do's and don'ts of a celluloid pen? (I heard they could explode???)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• surprise123

• Tweel

• FarmBoy

• ParkerDuofold

If it is restored, ink it and use it. And expect the best. It wouldn't explode unless the time for its explosion has arrived. :)

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I saw a random clip of an exploding fp when it got dunked in some random liquid, and it looked like *cringe* a duofold.

Okay. So I searched it up and found out that billiard balls made from celluloid was very common back then, and that the exploding sound they made were an everyday thing. Okay then...

I believe there are some unstable Noodlers inks, such as dragon napalm, that when put in the wrong pen can result in the undesired as described.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I believe there are some unstable Noodlers inks, such as dragon napalm, that when put in the wrong pen can result in the undesired as described.

I think the name gave it away.

Whatcha think about the pen? Was it worth the money? I've seen Duofolds with flexible nibs go for 150 green beans.

Whatcha think about the pen? Was it worth the money? I've seen Duofolds with flexible nibs go for 150 green beans.

I think it is superb, my favorite era of Parker pen manufacturing. The nib looks very good and the pen has a new sac and works.

You got a real bargain.

Nice find! If you are not used to vintage pens, take the time to read up about filling systems. This one is a button filler, don't be surprised if there is only a little movement when you press the button. I think your pen is an early Duofold, (it doesn't look streamlined to me) so is over 90 years old, the material is stable, unlike some Waterman and Wahl early plastics, but, given it's age, I'd treat it with care and respect.

I think it is superb, my favorite era of Parker pen manufacturing. The nib looks very good and the pen has a new sac and works.

You got a real bargain.

Yes... 28 green beans for something that went for 150 green beans on Peyton's. I was bound to find one of these sooner or later since everyone was using bid snipe bots.

Nice find! If you are not used to vintage pens, take the time to read up about filling systems. This one is a button filler, don't be surprised if there is only a little movement when you press the button. I think your pen is an early Duofold, (it doesn't look streamlined to me) so is over 90 years old, the material is stable, unlike some Waterman and Wahl early plastics, but, given it's age, I'd treat it with care and respect.

Should I put in on Classifieds (I'm typing this at school right now) because I can't use it at school? Even my Pilot Metro has sustained casualties. And I read about the button filler on Richard Binder's website. I'm rotating a Parker 51 and a 21 right now, so I can't say I've gotten into those really old, fragile BCHR eyedroppers with wet noodles yet.

Should I put in on Classifieds (I'm typing this at school right now) because I can't use it at school? Even my Pilot Metro has sustained casualties. And I read about the button filler on Richard Binder's website. I'm rotating a Parker 51 and a 21 right now, so I can't say I've gotten into those really old, fragile BCHR eyedroppers with wet noodles yet.

Get a pen pouch and there's no reason you can't carry it (as long is it has been restored of course).

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

I have a leather pen pouch, but I'm more afraid about crushing the pen than I am of scratching it. I'll carry it in a hard pen case, in a pen slip. Does anyone know the function of the ring? Does it turn the cap or is it just there to hang on a lanyard?

I have a leather pen pouch, but I'm more afraid about crushing the pen than I am of scratching it. I'll carry it in a hard pen case, in a pen slip. Does anyone know the function of the ring? Does it turn the cap or is it just there to hang on a lanyard?

Lanyard isnt quite the write word, its a for a chatelaine which is a decorative chain or necklace.

Perhaps just use it as it is.

We all have our own opinions on how much treatment a pen should be given, for me, this would be a stay at home pen

Congratulations Surprise on the deal of the century! :thumbup:

If I were you, I would take Parkette's advice and keep it at home.

Yes... the ring on the cap is for a necklace chain... these pens were designed for ladies back in the day... even in my day... and in the schools I went to,... you would have been chased out of the school if you wore that on a chain around your neck... :D ...but these days,... there do not seem to be any gender standards left.

Enjoy your new pen... but for the sake of its age, condition and growing scarcity... I'd keep it at home. ;)

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Congratulations Surprise on the deal of the century! :thumbup:

If I were you, I would take Parkette's advice and keep it at home.

Yes... the ring on the cap is for a necklace chain... these pens were designed for ladies back in the day... even in my day... and in the schools I went to,... you would have been chased out of the school if you wore that on a chain around your neck... :D ...but these days,... there do not seem to be any gender standards left.

Enjoy your new pen... but for the sake of its age, condition and growing scarcity... I'd keep it at home. ;)

Be well. :)

- Anthony

I was grinning like an idiot and I was at a potluck... and yeah, no way am I going to take this to school. I walk by an elderly home after school, and I already got seen with a 51. Edited by surprise123