The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What To Do If Your Varsity's Feed/collector Breaks

repair varsity nib feed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 leewm

leewm

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:43

All is not lost!  Find a nib that is attached to the feed assembly, like that of Lamy's, wrap some plumber's tape around it until it forms an air tight fit when inserted into the body.  The only air exchange should happen only through the feed assembly and not around the edges.

Do note that all feeds assemblies are not equal!  The Varsity body is huge and when the ink is almost finished, heat from your hand will cause the air inside to expand and overwhelm the collector fins; causing burping.  Reduce the air capacity by stuffing beads or small foam blocks into the body.

The video here explains how to replace the nib/feed assembly and refill it from then onwards.

Remember to save the nib!  It can be used by other Varsity or Pilot Petit1.

Sponsored Content

#2 leewm

leewm

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:51

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that Lamy-like nib/feed assembly can be purchased from Aliexpress.com for a couple of cents.  The search keyword is "nib plastic".  I have been using it for some months now and it has been most satisfactory.

My repaired Varsity still writes immediately after sitting upright in the pen cup for months.

#3 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 17:52

Sorry, I don't see the point.  It is a disposable pen.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#4 leewm

leewm

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:32

Sorry, I don't see the point.  It is a disposable pen.

Yes, it was was designed as a disposable pen but it's such a waste to throw away a good pen when it can be easily repaired to make it work as good as new again.  Just my little effort to help reduce our plastic foot print.

I've found that the pen cap / body seal of the Varsity is extremely well designed and the amount of ink it can hold is a lot for such a low cost pen.  The pen can go for months untouched and when it is uncapped, it writes immediately.

#5 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:03

One way to reduce your plastic footprint is not to buy a disposable pen in the first place. Good luck with the repair. As a bit of frivolity I made an eye-dropper aided by a generous supply of gaffer tape. It did not last long, of course.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#6 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 19:03

I wouldn't bother to repair the Varsity. I have always more urgent chores to deal with. :)
Khan

Sponsored Content

|