Diamine Brilliant Red is a mid-red dye based ink that could be viewed as a “standard daily red.” It’s neither too pink nor too orange and is from Diamine Inks standard range.
Diamine Brilliant Red isn’t a heavily saturated red, it’s less saturated than Diamine Poppy Red and Sheaffer Skrip Red, but it’s that type of bright red.
I found it flowed well in the pens I used it with and I saw some shading particularly with the finer nibs. It looked more saturated with my Lamy B nib. Lubrication was good, and it felt smooth writing across all of the papers I used.
- Flow Rate: Good. Not really wet and dries quickly.
- Lubrication: Good. Smooth across the paper.
- Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
- Start-up: Immediate.
- Saturation: Not heavily saturated ink.
- Shading Potential: Some shading seen.
- Sheen: None seen.
- Rhodia Dot Pad - just a little
- Tomoe River 52gsm
- Silvine lined pad
- Generic lined pad
- Field Notes
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not seen.
- Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after over 1 week in the pen
- Staining (pen): Not seen after several days in the pen - easy clean-up with water.
- Staining (hands): Easy clean-up with bar soap.
- Clogging: Not seen. Seems unlikely.
- Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof and has no water resistance.
- Availability: Available in 80ml glass bottles, 30ml plastic bottles and cartridges from Diamine Inks web-site and many other outlets.