The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Plating Issues On Platinum 3776 Century

plating issue platinum 3776

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Glemnoir

Glemnoir

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 17:46

I've had my burgundy 3776 with gold plating for three years.  It's in constant use and there have been no issues with the plating.

I envy you. How I wish mine was as good as yours.

Sponsored Content

#22 Nyea

Nyea

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 17:54

Ain't we all brought too many pens.
+1 on rhodium trim, at least it won't be so obvious if it happens to deteriorate. :)

looking forward to my cheap wing sung 3008 pens i ordered yesterday from china, wont have to worry about any of this as they where £2.48 each, ah the joys of cheap pens do not have to worry about the finish as much as they are so cheap!

#23 RSVP

RSVP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2018 - 13:28

I complained to them over this and got nothing helpful by reply despite my other Platinums not having the problem. :wacko:  Probably the last time I buy.

#24 minddance

minddance

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 17:47

As much as I do not enjoy Platinum 3776 nibs, the platings are intact on mine. I have just examined the plating under a loupe but it is intact after 2-3 years. I must add that they are not frequently used and never been out of the house because I dislike writing with them. They are always inked, that's because they preserve inks really well.

I am not doubting/arguing with your experience and I think Platinum must address this problem and provide a solution - repair/exchange - to make things right.

If Platinum does not offer aftersales service, then I think it is meaningless to buy more expensive pens, or any pen for that matter, from Platinum.

#25 Brianm-14-FRMS

Brianm-14-FRMS

Write like no one is watching

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:45

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Other than turning to Platinum for customer service help, you might try regularly cleaning the plated sufaces with a mild detergent and rinsing well. Don't use soap, as it can have a pH that may futher disturb the plating. Dry gently with a soft cloth. Then wipe with a plain wax, that is, one free from any abrasives as are often found in automotive waxes. Some metal waxes, including those intended for chrome on automobiles/motorcycles, are free from abrasives, and the package will state this. Buff the wax to leave a thin, protective coating.

Hopefully, a light wax coating will retard further damage.

Re-plating is certainly another option.

Craig Laboratories De-Oxit products (check Amazon or electronics supply houses) are used to clean and protect gold contacts on electronic equipment, and these products work extremely well. (They are expensive, but you can use the surplus on your computer contacts. If you do, you will never be without this stuff!)
Brian

#26 pararis

pararis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:27

I have several Platinums with gold trim. After several years, all platings are pristine. I use them all the time -- and never "clean" them. I clean them out internally if I change ink, but never do anything to the exterior. Maybe your cleaning isn't helping!

#27 TeeTee

TeeTee

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:44

I bought my gold plating Bourgogne (F nib) for nearly 9 months, and find no issue like yours regarding corrosion. I bought directly from Japan. Still pristine.

#28 Nyea

Nyea

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2018 - 15:03

Had some more of the plating wear off recently but still mostly intact, i have just ordered a chartres blue in the rhodium now so will be intresting to have a harder wearing plating on the pen, i was originally annoyed with the gold plating wearing off but i have come to terms with it now as it shows that i have been using my pen to the fullest!

Attached Images

• 3776 2.jpg
  • 3776.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plating issue, platinum 3776

Sponsored Content

|