Question About The Desk Pen

Waukegan

I use 2 Estie Js at work more than any other pen I possess (The other being a TWSBI Eco with a stub). I love them! I have NOT purchased any pens in months since my first question is always.... "To get into my rotation this pen has to replace one of my Js. Will that honestly happen?"

However, I sit at a desk and make copious notes during the day. This has resulted in me using a ballpoint a good amount of time. Taking the caps off one of my Js and putting it back on over and over is just not something I relish a great deal. I will occasionally, even if only to enjoy the feel and writing I can get only from a fountain pen.

I realize I could benefit from a desk pen. I have an opportunity to buy one with a 112 base. My question is "How well does the base prevent drying out?" I see no point in investing in a solid performer of a desk pen if I'm going to have to spend precious time getting it to start if I happen to not use it for an hour or two. Is it that good? Do these things work the vast majority of the time? or is it case by case?

I would be willing to get the pen if I had a decent shot of finding a suitable base (if the first one doesn't pan out); but how likely is it I'll be able to find a suitable one?

I remember desk pens from visits to the bank when I was quite young, but they were either the dip pen ink well variety (once) or a ball point, so I have no personal experience of a fountain pen in a base. At least not an ink filled working one, which is a shame. I would be over the moon to be able to let the ballpoint gather lint in my pocket until I need it to write on plastic bags. Do I have a viable dream?

John

Between my finger and my thumb

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

-- excerpt from "Digging" by Seamus Heaney

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waukegan

• FarmBoy

• AAAndrew

• gweimer1

In my experience if you use a desk pen it will not dry out. It will run out of ink but generally it will not dry out.

Be different, get a 7-ball.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Be different get a speedball..you'll feel better....Then we'll mosey on over to Spinelli's to play some 8 ball.....

I'll spot you..................blah blah..............................

Fred

Lazy Mary...............Lou Monte............................................

Be different get a speedball..you'll feel better....Then we'll mosey on over to Spinelli's to play some 8 ball.....

I'll spot you..................blah blah..............................

Fred

Lazy Mary...............Lou Monte............................................

cue ball?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I've decided to ink mine up and do a short experiment for this. It's probably you I'm doing it for, too. I find that after a couple hours, it does take a few seconds to prime the nib again, but that's really it. Not really much longer than it takes to click open that ballpoint. I'll see how it does in the morning after sitting all night.

I just got done using an eightball for a few months (probably since coming back after New Year's). Worked great, only needed a prime if I was out of the office a few days. Refilled a little more often than once a week, Noodlers black.

I swapped it for a Sheaffers Dolphin TD. No reason other than variety, I'll rotate back to an Esterbrook at some point.

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I've decided to ink mine up and do a short experiment for this. It's probably you I'm doing it for, too. I find that after a couple hours, it does take a few seconds to prime the nib again, but that's really it. Not really much longer than it takes to click open that ballpoint. I'll see how it does in the morning after sitting all night.

Indeed it’s me. Love your pens. Thanks for going the extra mile.

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

I just got done using an eightball for a few months (probably since coming back after New Year's). Worked great, only needed a prime if I was out of the office a few days. Refilled a little more often than once a week, Noodlers black.

I swapped it for a Sheaffers Dolphin TD. No reason other than variety, I'll rotate back to an Esterbrook at some point.

That’s better than I would have thought possible. Amazing. Thanks for that report!

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

How about a 444 Dip-less Pen? Takes a lot longer to dry out. Holds a ton of ink and always ready to write.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

How about a 444 Dip-less Pen? Takes a lot longer to dry out. Holds a ton of ink and always ready to write.

Because inexperienced coworkers having access to my desk would all but guarantee that the ink well would wind up being spilled even if they aren't supposed to be touching my things anyway. Human nature has free reign in my experience and i'm always on the lookout. And I'd almost certainly use india ink or iron gall. Do not want to see what that does to the desk or carpet. I imagine about as fun as spilling bad belted kingfisher, which i currently have in my "skunk" J.

But should an opportunity come to buy one from Gary, it'd be on my favorites list, if not in my Etsy cart, immediately.

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

I can understand the reticence. I will say that 444's are practically spill-proof. Unless someone picks it up off the table and turns it over, ink will not come out.

Of course, if you co-workers are that "handsy" then you may well be best off without one. But it's something to think about, and they're very easy to "restore" and fairly inexpensive on the "Bay" if you look around. I've restored a few. Here are a couple.

fpn_1487966315__window2.jpg

Edited by AAAndrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Nice!

I believe they could sit through an earthquake (just not some humans). I guess I could always put a note on the base that says "do not tip over" or perhaps "touch it and die!", but it would ruin the look for me. However, I just remembered that I will eventually be moved into a more private office which would mean i would only have to lecture educate perhaps a few souls and trust that nothing untoward would ever happen to my dipless pen or it's base. That's a comforting thought.

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

My test is done. Even when sitting overnight, it only took a few seconds to prime the nib.

Sold! :D

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

I agree with Gary about the desk pen. Mine has a 9461 nib [from Gary] and it writes with a simple prime of scribble after not being used since last Thursday.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Bought it the other day. Gary is putting a #9461 into it. Very familiar with #9460 as my first, and most prized, J has one in it; and has been used to write on carbonless forms without a hitch. Can't wait to see how the #9461 compares.

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Pen is amazing, and is working out beautifully. Only issue is the 20 pound copy paper we use for scratch paper. It's free so I'm not going to complain, but it was so absorbent, the fibers were causing a huge amount of feathering and the line looked closer to a fat medium than a true fine. I went through so much ink I had to refill it after only one day. Unheard of!

Easy solution was to unscrew the 9461 nib, and replace it with the 9550 nib that was residing in my ever handy skunk J. That 9550 always was a dry writer, so it was a win win. I get a nice fine line for note taking, and the Noodler's Kiowa Pecan in my J now looks fantastic. And now both my EDC Js have manifold nibs!

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

• 4 months later...

So glad someone else is finding these inkwells both useful and a real hoot. I still can recall them (dimly) in post offices. I find them really handy for correcting my collegecstudents lab reports. This way, I can keep blue, green, and red ink at hand.

Many inks will withstand a bit of dilution with water to help fill the stand; I do this (within reason) mainly to replace the volume lost by evaporation. I keep the added water down to 10 - 15% of estimated total original volume at most, added over a week or two without degradation in the quality of the image or performance of the ink (Pilot blue, red, or black ink in the BIG bottle -is very economical). I've experimented with my wells, and found evaporation does occur.

Always use distilled water, and boil and cool it just before adding it to be sure you are not adding fungus or bacteria. Many people think distilled water is sterile, but that is only true for freshly distilled water captured in a sterile container, or perhaps poured from a freshly opened container. Just add it by the small dropperful. This all sounds complicated; it's not.

To prepare the water, I just wash a coffee cup (or use a disposable one), filled to the near the brim with tap water, bring it to a boil in the microwave for at least ten seconds, and let it sit for several minutes. Then dump out this water. This container is then suitable for boiling your distilled water in, following a similar procedure only letting the distilled water fully cool. Be sure to keep it covered.

Periodically, clean the inkwell by thoroughly washing it with a mild dish detergent and letting it air dry. This and the mold inhibitor in the ink should keep your ink contamination free. Thorough washing and rinsing will remove almost all contaminants. You can use Dawn antibacterial if you wish for added cleansing, especially the first time you use the well.

Brian