How To Use Microchamber/zeolite Paper

siamackz

Taking the advice of our pro members here, I have purchased some microchamber paper to keep my vintage pens young forever!

My questions are:

1. How do I use it? Should I cut the paper in strips and place it in each slot of the slotted trays that I store my pens in? See my display https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/332600-making-my-pen-display/

2. How often should I replace the paper?

Thanks!

Edited by siamackz

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seney724

• inkstainedruth

• siamackz

• Texas42

3 hours ago, Texas42 said:

Hi! How did you end up using the micro chamber paper?

I line the bottom of the pen tray with a sheet and set the pens on top of it.  I rotate the position of the pen in the tray at least once per month. 

Only one pen to a tray (small) for the couple of pens I gauge to be high risk. 

For those at high risk I also put a small, rolled up piece of the paper into the cap and barrel of the pens. 

So far, so good!!

I would like to know how often the paper should be changed.

And, if there are any "downsides" to its use.

Okay, I'll bite.  What is micro chamber paper and how is it used?  And where do you get it?  And is it more important to use when you've got a display case that has glass (to let light in), vs. one that keeps the pens out of the light?  Because I had been assuming that getting the flocked trays for the drawers in the antique dental cabinet I bought would be good enough.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Initially, I cut the paper and put the pieces in each slot of a slotted tray. Later when I changed my display to a larger display cabinet, I just put the paper on the sides and top of the cabinet. Now I just have a dehumidifier cabinet (because it’s very humid where I live) and I don’t use the paper anymore, 

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

6 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Okay, I'll bite.  What is micro chamber paper and how is it used?  And where do you get it?  And is it more important to use when you've got a display case that has glass (to let light in), vs. one that keeps the pens out of the light?  Because I had been assuming that getting the flocked trays for the drawers in the antique dental cabinet I bought would be good enough.

From David Nishimura:

https://vintagepensblog.blogspot.com/2016/06/celluloid-storage-and-acid-absorption.html

"For pen storage, the best choice seems to be SPZ-grade zeolite, and in particular, MicroChamber papers. These papers are impregnated with high-absorption zeolite with an alkaline buffer, and can be used to line pen storage areas or to wrap individual pens. Standard-sized interleaving paper costs under $0.25 per 6.5 x 10.125 inch sheet, and can be bought through Amazon or directly from the manufacturer. Studies going back over twenty years show that these acid-trapping papers outperform calcium carbonate dramatically, both in thoroughness of acid capture and neutralization, and in retaining the ability to trap and hold acids and other atmospheric pollutants over time (see Siegfried Rempel, "Zeolite Molecular Traps And Their Use In Preventative Conservation" (Western Association for Art Conservation Newsletter, January 1996), Getty Conservation Institute, "Performance of Pollutant Adsorbents (2001-2003)", and the Conservation Resources website). I now have MicroChamber paper lining most of my pen and parts storage areas, supplemented by silica gel canisters to absorb excess humidity. Though standard-sized paper is what I have, 14-inch paper is required if you want to pleat it around the dividing ridges of a standard 12-pen slotter box. Finally, I have no financial stake in any of these products -- I am using them because all the sources I could find indicate that they offer the best protection option (noting that activated carbon filters are of comparable merit, though much bulkier)."

Thanks.  I will look into this.  

Sometimes it's humid where I live (although not like the southeastern US), but not all the time.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Glad to help Ruth.

What I am hoping to find out is if anyone has had a long enough experience with the Micro Chamber papers to have discovered any "down side" to their use.

For example, if a pen sits on the paper for a long time without being turned is there any discoloration of the celluloid as one compares the portion of the pen which has rested directly on the paper versus that which was not lying on it.  I've never seen or heard of any reports of this but I'd be very reassured to hear from someone who has used it for years and has not noted any problems or long term effects.

I'd also like to know how long the paper can be kept in use before it becomes so saturated with the acids and other pollutants it absorbs that it is no longer effective?  Should it be changed every 6 months, every year, etc., etc.

We now know there are some very "high risk" celluloids for which there are many reports of deterioration due to off-gassing.  It would be nice to know there is an effective strategy for pro-actively protecting these "at risk" pens.