The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Do You Store Your Inks In The Original Boxes Or Without It?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:51

I use to toss the boxes. As my ink supply grew, I found that ink in boxes stacks nicely and the bottles don’t clank as they jostle along side each other. The inks I want available for everyday use are in a couple drawers of a cabinet in my bedroom(where a lot of my pens are in cases).
The rest of the inks stay in boxes and are stored by brand in a series of shoe boxes that I keep in the spare bedroom.

Sponsored Content

#42 gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:01

I keep mine in the boxes, and then I keep everything in a bigger box (some inks come without boxes, and this helps protect them)...

#43 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2018 - 15:50

Most of mine never came in boxes. My Take-Sumi Black did and I treasured it for a while until, predictably, I ruined it.

#44 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

nibulous

• Member - Gold

• 1,911 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 16:43

Boxes. I don't have many inks, but I live in a small space and boxes allow for stacking, and therefore maximization of storage space.

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#45 AlohaLani787

AlohaLani787

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2018 - 00:14

I keep mine in their original boxes. The only time they're out is when I'm inking. Glass bottles and tile floors make me nervous.

#46 ParramattaPaul

ParramattaPaul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2018 - 00:51

In the box, in a desk drawer.

#47 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:49

In their boxes if they have a box .  Top right drawer of my Nam era US Army field desk . I keep Pens and fly tying materials in the lower drawers and paper in the top left .

Eddie

Edited by EdwardSouthgate, 24 October 2018 - 02:52.

#48 Astron

Astron

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2018 - 17:21

I store the inks bottles in a closet. And the flattened boxes in a drawer.

#49 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:55

In the box and in the display case for the Parker Quink. I must update my photo, the display is full.

#50 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,384 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2018 - 19:25

I am addicted to ink bottles!  I love them, and would hate to have to put them in a dark place!  And I never store them in the boxes they come in, but I often put  the bottle ON TOP of the box, as with Noodler's. 

I like to think of myself as a collector of ink bottles.  Both with and without ink in them! ------ They are scattered all around the "back room," which is my "writing room."   

Am I crazy?  Am I a disgrace to the pen/ink hobby? 

"Looking at, and admiring my empty ink bottles" and looking forward to the day when all ink is used in certain bottles, so I can move them to the "empty bottle" display! 

Not that I am going to waste bottled ink just so that I can move the empty bottle over to the other empty bottles! I am not wasteful.  Just have my own thoughts about things.  

C. S.

#51 Astron

Astron

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2018 - 20:17

Am I crazy?  Am I a disgrace to the pen/ink hobby? 

I don't think so. Everyone has his own preferences. I think it is dogmatic to tell someone how he or she has to collect one's collection. One may discuss storing conditions of precious goods, but not the set-up of the collection. ;)

#52 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:10

fpn_1541938185__img_4692.jpg

fpn_1541938199__img_4691.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#53 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,564 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 16:40

I keep ink bottles in their boxes if and when they help me stack the bottles neatly and safely to conserve space, and discard the boxes if and when they take up more space that is worth the 'benefit' of making the bottles stackable. All my inks are being kept on shelf space that is behind opaque doors, so my consideration is rarely whether I like the look of the boxes.

With the Monteverde Gemstone ink collection and Noir ink collection gift sets, I went halfway: the black cardboard 'gift boxes' (which Monteverde made a point of stating that they are reusable) have been flattened, but I'm storing the ink bottles in their flimsy clear plastic boxes.

fpn_1546642924__folio_of_monteverde_gems

The cheap Daiso zippered folio allowed me to store the ink bottles upright, just where I wanted to slot the lot in the shelf space under my desk (with about 1cm to spare both height-wise and thickness-wise), in a way that those 'gift' boxes wouldn't. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable standing the bottles on top of each other inside the folio, though, without the plastic boxes as spacers/partitioning.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 04 January 2019 - 23:05.

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. I believe we're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but no shared values and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking', we're friends

'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

#54 nibtip

nibtip

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 19:14

One picture says it all. i know exactly which is which.

Attached Images

• 1.jpg

#55 phonelady61

phonelady61

a very confused woman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Location:south carolina now thank God nothing finer than carolina
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 21:32

i use a curio cabinet to keep my inks in i have three curio cabinets on the wall in my office and everyone who comes in here oohs and awes at my cabinets . 

Cathy :bunny01: 

:happyberet: 

#56 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2019 - 21:48

I keep most of the boxes - not all.  It depends on the color of the bottle that the ink comes in - whether clear or darkened - and if the box is nice or not.  For example, I received a new bottle of ink that is in a darkened glass bottle.  The box was flimsy so I threw it out. 

I have converted an antique lingerie chest into my pen and ink chest.

fpn_1529263352__pen_cabinet_1_of_1.jpg

All of my inks, except my boxed Pilot Iroshizuku's, GvFC, Stipula and Montblanc inks, go into the chest.  The boxed inks are stacked on my bookshelf.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#57 uceroy

uceroy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 20:51

Ooh, gorgeous chest DrPenfection! 😍

I used to keep the boxes, until my ink didn't fit in my drawers anymore.. Tossed most packaging of both pens and inks about two weeks ago 😅
(Kept a few of the plastic TWSBI eco cases for cartridges and tools and grease)

I've only kept the boxes on the Noodler's inks as they take hardly more space that the bottle and it was easy to write in top of them. And the box of a 'vintage' Gimborn washable blue. 20190107_213303-1154x1156.jpg

20190107_213229-1154x1302_zps8hkqsgpp.jp

20190107_213140-1154x1154_zpsjqxip012.jp

#58 MyPenAndI

MyPenAndI

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:42

My friends over at goulet just did a review of the new Lamy Crystal ink series today. The only place where the ink color is listed is on the box. The (nice) bottles, rather triangular, have narrow bands just below the cap to give an idea of the colors but they are not precise, and some are really close to one another in color. 

My (all unboxed) inks are in a closed drawer behind my desk to protect from sunlight and humidity. I turn them every week, probably for my own sense of responsible ink ownership. I've got more ink than I will probably use in my lifetime now. (Fear not, more coming.)

Edited by MyPenAndI, 08 January 2019 - 02:46.

Writing is FUN!

Bud Fields

Follow My Writing Adventures!

#59 uceroy

uceroy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:23

My friends over at goulet just did a review of the new Lamy Crystal ink series today. The only place where the ink color is listed is on the box. The (nice) bottles, rather triangular, have narrow bands just below the cap to give an idea of the colors but they are not precise, and some are really close to one another in color. 

True, I used my label writer for those 😂

#60 KyleClapton

KyleClapton

Still Young

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:37

You have so nice organized drawers. I keep my bottles in one bigger box but without original box.

Ooh, gorgeous chest DrPenfection!

I used to keep the boxes, until my ink didn't fit in my drawers anymore.. Tossed most packaging of both pens and inks about two weeks ago
(Kept a few of the plastic TWSBI eco cases for cartridges and tools and grease)

I've only kept the boxes on the Noodler's inks as they take hardly more space that the bottle and it was easy to write in top of them. And the box of a 'vintage' Gimborn washable blue. attachicon.gif 20190107_213303-1154x1156.jpg

20190107_213229-1154x1302_zps8hkqsgpp.jp

20190107_213140-1154x1154_zpsjqxip012.jp

:D Nice to meet you  :D

Sponsored Content

|