The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Do You Store Your Inks In The Original Boxes Or Without It?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 sdbruder

sdbruder

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:32

So I ended up having a huge amount of inks (at least to me, that does not have the space to store it) and Im contemplating the idea to make a glass shelf on the wall above my desk to store all pen related stuff, inks, pens, etcetera.

So.. do you guys always store your inks closed in the boxes? Or do you show off your inks bottles?

IMG_4187-1.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:18

Yes in the box as it protects from potential fading from light. Also in a cool, dry location is preferred by me.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#3 AmandaW

AmandaW

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:20

I prefer to keep ink in the dark to slow down the change in colour. Those that are to tall too to fit in the drawer stay in their orignal boxes on a shelf. It is a little disapointing because the bottles are pretty.

It's all about the greys...

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:24

I keep all of my inks in their original boxes if they come in boxes.

I would be very careful about a glass shelf, as it will need to withstand a heavy weight of ink bottles.  :huh:

I once had a glass table that I kept some cacti and succulents on. One day I came home and the glass had broken leaving a terrible mess.  :(

#5 catbert

catbert

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:44

I keep my inks in their original boxes, if any, for ease of stacking and to keep them out of the light. I can always appreciate the bottles when I fill a pen.

#6 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 16:40

I didn't originally use boxes. But, now I do. They are easier to stack and are much more protected this way. Yes, the bottles can be pretty. I find that as I use an ink over and over, I do end up wearing out the box, so perhaps the boxes will disappear on some inks.

One bad thing I do is store the inks on the main floor of my house. I get extremely hot summers here, and I know heat isn't good for them. 

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#7 Princeps Anglorum

Princeps Anglorum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Location:Leicester, England (former home of the Wyvern Pen Co)
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 17:08

I keep my inks in a large box in a cupboard to prolong their life and gaurd against excessive light and heat. I used to keep the bottles in their original packaging but then discarded them when I needed to make more room in the storage box. I regret ding that now. Will do so in future.

#8 trdsf

trdsf

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 17:22

Yup, original boxes.  At the very least, they're a lot easier to stack.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."
--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
My Flickr, if you're interested

#9 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 21:57

A combination of both for me.  I appreciate the bottles that are interesting to me & have them "front & center" on a shelf with the lesser interesting (& used) inks in their boxes, stacked on a shelf behind the "pretties."

I decided to follow in the footsteps of our fearless Leader, Ms Amberlea Davis & brought my inks out of the hidden away protective spaces & into a glass dooored cupboard of five shelves.  It worked well, for a time, but this winter I had to "expand!"  I reconfigured a built in storage cabinet with 8 shelves in a hallway.  Because it has a solid wooden door, I only see these inks when opening the door.  But I also appreciate my "excess" is not as obvious to visitors, who may be less enthusiastic about my sickness.  (No reason to inspire commentary, if avoidable!)

I have no concern about the preservation of my inks; I doubt I will live long enough to notice any changes & having already witnessed a few bottles of a US Boutique ink, turn foul in their boxes, without their even being opened, I use Phenol in inks I have concern for & hope for the best, for the remainder.

#10 DrSam

DrSam

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:38

In boxes in a drawer at the house, and a few out of boxes on a shelf at the office, with 3 out of the box on the desk that I use for regular refilling of the pens. If it would fade in the next 100 years, I would not own it in the first place.

#11 Cassotto

Cassotto

Peppermint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:29

I always keep all the bottles in boxes inside a drawer. In that way they are better protected, and I can stack them more easily (or at least, I will stack them more easily if I ever need to do so - at present, I haven't got so many ink bottles, and anyway my drawer doesn't allow any stacking).

The only exceptions are bottles that came without a box (30 ml Diamine bottles and Pelikan M205 Duo Highlighter ink). I'd like to find suitable boxes for those, but I haven't been lucky yet.

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

#12 Moonshae

Moonshae

Extremely Rare

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:39

I guess I'm the odd one out...I don't use the boxes, but I do store all my ink in a drawer. The boxes are often too tall for the drawer, and limit how many bottles I can fit inside due to the extra space they take up. I don't think I can squeeze in another bottle, so I don't plan to buy new inks any time soon. If I particularly like a color and buy more than one bottle, I do keep the extra bottles in their boxes and sealed until it's time to begin using them. I suppose I could store those elsewhere to make room for more open bottles...

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

#13 gmathio

gmathio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:43

In their original boxes, inside a drawer by my desk. Easier for me to pick the one I want to fill my fountain pen.

#14 inotrym

inotrym

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:00

For lack of space and money, they are neatly stacked (in their original boxes) in two plastic bins and then tucked away in a cupboard. I just keep one or two bottles out for refilling (no boxes). Hopefully, I will be able to display them someday.

#15 xxXTheGodfatherXxx

xxXTheGodfatherXxx

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 14:42

I usually don't store them in original boxes, but I do have a box for inks and I put all of them in it. The box is opaque and it's always in my drawer

#16 inotrym

inotrym

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 888 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 15:37

A little offtopic, but what are those inks in the black boxes? And the little bottles in the front that kind of look like small Diamine's?

I've never seen that package before.

#17 webgeckos

webgeckos

The Goodest Twin

• Member - Gold

• 2,620 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:19

I store mine in their original boxes and then inside an antique secretary desk. Some are in the top three shelves, the rest are in deep drawers in the base.

I have to fight off radical temp changes, elevation, and a seven month old kitten.

#18 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:44

In the original boxes, and those boxes are inside sturdy cardboard boxes. Not a good system for ease of access, but it is what it is.

#19 catbert

catbert

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:30

A little offtopic, but what are those inks in the black boxes? And the little bottles in the front that kind of look like small Diamine's?

I've never seen that package before.

The small bottles at the front look like Birmingham ink. No idea about the black boxes at the back.

#20 inotrym

inotrym

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 888 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 15:29

Thank you! Very nice line. Some of the colors look very interesting and the bottles/labels look elegant.

Prices are also fairly good. I like how they offer a full set of samples; a very good deal.

Sponsored Content

|