Fat Pens

Precise

Hi All,

I haven't posted for a long time, but I write and tinker with my pens every day.

This post is not intended to offer recommendations, but rather to encourage discussion.

I've long preferred fat pens. I'm less fatigued writing with fat pens. But some fat pens have thin sections, and for me that's not much better than an ordinary pen.

Here are some of my fat pens which have adequate section diameter.

Numbers are capped length, max body diameter, diameter at the middle of section

Dolcevita Frederico 140 mm, 14.4 mm, 13.3 mm
Montblanc-149 146, 14.8, 13.2
Sailor King of Pen 152, 15.3, 12.8
Bexley Prometheus 141, 14.6, 12.5
Rosetta Coronado 148, 15.5, 11.3
Laban Mento 148, 15.1, 12.4
Bexley Poseidon 138, 14.5, 11.9

I've also mentioned in a prior post that my grip is happier with pens which have some flare at the end of the section. Even slight flare is enough for me.

Best regards,

Alan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Precise

• Mew

• ingolf

• twin63

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the info, Alan.

Fat pens are comfortable in the hand usually.

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Very helpful info. The pen I've found to be most comfortable to me for long periods of time is a Conid Kingsize.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Namiki Emperor (or Urushi #50) might be worth checking for you. It has that slight flare at the end of the section which you prefer.

Edited by Mew

I prefer light, wider pen. Right now, the pens that I can write the longest with are my Delta Horsepower and Franklin Christoph Panther 40. Lamy Safari, Al-Star and Aion also work.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Pens with large sections:

Delta Dolcevita Federico, Montblanc 149, Sailor King of Pen (woodgrain ebonite), Bexley Prometheus, Laban Mento

post-125012-0-94387700-1523662932_thumb.jpg

Edited by Precise

Namiki Emperor (or Urushi #50) might be worth checking for you. It has that slight flare at the end of the section which you prefer.

It looks like what I like. But the cheapest one I could find is $1,600. Do you have any suggestions?

Alan

I used to think that fat-bottomed pens make the rockin world go round, but the more I write the more I am becoming with moderate sized pens. Skinny pens are still out as are short pens.

Hey Alan - Can you tell me about the Rosetta Coronado? I would like to try a larger pen and like the looks of this one.

Hey Alan - Can you tell me about the Rosetta Coronado? I would like to try a larger pen and like the looks of this one.

It's an excellent pen. I forgot to include it in the group photo, because I was writing with it at the time. It's just as good as much more expensive pens. It's well made and weighs 34 grams capped and only 15 grams capless. Many fat pens are heavier. The price is a bargain at $60.

Another large pen bargain is Bexley. The owner offers pens on ebay which go for about $90. I have many.

I've written that my moderately priced pens are less trouble than my high end luxuries. And stiff steel nibs are smoother than flexible or slightly flexible gold nibs, which tend to dig in.

Alan

I have found the Delta Stantuffo body to fit my hand best. I'm glad Bryant (Chatterley/Pentime) was offering small batches in various colors/materials so I can have some variety beyond the mass produced DolceVita orange. I must have ten or so, included a couple over-sized ones. I also have a Roma Imperial, but it may be too substantial in size. And I bought a ProGear KOP, but since I have yet to send it off to Mike to grind it down to my preferred EEF, I have yet to write with it.

I, too, prefer the flare at the end of the section. I've pondered this a bit. My finger tips are never so far down the grip to touch the flare, so it must be a purely visual preference. The section on the Roma, while generously sized, lacks the flared end, and I find that its absence actually bothers me.

I agree. I rarely touch the flare, yet I want it. Sorry to read that the Roma lacks flare. I was intrigued by the large size.

It looks like what I like. But the cheapest one I could find is $1,600. Do you have any suggestions?

Alan

That's what it costs, unless you buy it used. They don't come up for sale often and there won't be much of a bargain in those.

Here is a picture with MB 149:

http://i.imgur.com/jkW1LU8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5AKWnch.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nsUlC5N.jpg

There is fat and there is long. My Pilot Custom 823 is as long capped as my Pelikan M1000 and Sailor KoP Pro Gear but it is not fat. My M1000 is my fattest feeling pen... I believe its narrowest point on the section is 12.1mm and my King of Pen is 11.8mm at its narrowest point, even though the KoP barrel diameter eclipses the M1000 and I think the barrel side of the KoP section is wider than the M1000 (so more ergonomic and dynamic flaring in the section). Unposted the M1000 is much longer than my KoP, but because it has brass mechanicals further up that long barrel it does not feel nearly as balanced or comfortable as my Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear, which has heavy converter metal bits attached at the section. The Sailor fits like a glove in my larger than medium sized man-hands but the M1000 feels like I'm holding onto a stick of wood. My hands tend to cramp with thinner sections.

40546683685_fdd8edf5a1_k.jpg

Alan- thanks for your post and for the pictures you posted. I am forced to use fatter pens, because of having suffered multiple strokes. I am about to actually hold a fatter penm and write with it without suffering hand fatigue, etc. And I too use some of the pens you mention.

MB 149 fp, the Delta Dolce Vita Oversize, the Bexley Prometheus ( not the new version of the pen), but, I have one of the ones that was sold around 2002 or so, and the Edison Huron Grande fp.

Edited by Wolverine1

Mmhhh ... I think THAT is a fat pen :yikes:.

IMG_3931.jpg

The pen next is a Montblanc Meisterstueck 149 and looks pretty small :D .

I hope you don't mind the joke.

Regards, Ingolf.

What's that big pen called and where can I get one?

Nobody has posted a pic of an ebonite giant from India. I've seen a couple of those, but they looked pretty crude. They might be eyedropper filled, which is something I've never tried.

Alan