Verdigris Comparison

senzen

I loved Verdigris since I got it, but haven't used it as much because its Sonnet always evaporating quickly and it came a lot darker. It finally dawned on me to use it with my new m205.

Row 1 of other colours: Ama Iro, Kon Peki, Équinoxe 6, Souten, Tsuyu Kusa, Asa Gao, Myosotis, Ajisai.

Row 2: Chiku Rin, Vert Empire, Verde Muschiato, Ina Ho, Inti, Lie de Thé, Yama Guri, Perle Noire.

Row 3: Mandarin, Fuyu Gaki, Orange Indien, Ancient Copper, Rouge Hematite, Poppy Red, Perle Noire.

fpn_1523643420__verdigris_comparison.jpg

I never thought I'd like a grey ink but there you have it, part of the switch to the m205 came about as I realized it's one of my favorites, and I have to confess I don't really care for Myosotis in its regular pale self, but with that pen it's inevitable it will get darker, which I actually quite like.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• minddance

• pgcauk

• lapis

Nice display again. I love these comparisons including dissimilar colours. My R & K Verdigris has a lot more green in it -- I'd like to say it's not a blue-black, but teal-black. In any case, mine is also very dark, always was, and it hasn't evaporated at all.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Nice display again. I love these comparisons including dissimilar colours. My R & K Verdigris has a lot more green in it -- I'd like to say it's not a blue-black, but teal-black. In any case, mine is also very dark, always was, and it hasn't evaporated at all.

Thank you!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Hi pseudo88!

I am interested in Verdigris but haven't parted with my money yet because I don't know if it's a dark blue, dark teal or dark green...

If it's a teal, is it more green or more blue?

Hi pseudo88!

I am interested in Verdigris but haven't parted with my money yet because I don't know if it's a dark blue, dark teal or dark green...

For me it does what it says on the tin: it's a grey ink with greenish tones. I've used green, blue and teal inks in pens that evaporate a lot, they never achieve this particular colour...

Since it's already dark, best use it with a dry pen, otherwise you really need to use it next to black to realize it's grey...

I just went through yet another rotation to see if Kon Peki does better in the m205, and Verdigris ended up in a Metropolitan; it looks just like in that picture I took.

B. Russell

Hi pseudo88!

I had a bottle a few years ago. To my eyes it was a dark blue *unless* I put it next to a true blue in which case the green in the Verdigris became apparent. It's a teal that is so blue I wouldn't bother calling it teal any more. It's far more blue, and less green, than Diamine Twilight for example.

I had a bottle a few years ago. To my eyes it was a dark blue *unless* I put it next to a true blue in which case the green in the Verdigris became apparent. It's a teal that is so blue I wouldn't bother calling it teal any more. It's far more blue, and less green, than Diamine Twilight for example.

It also depends on the light, i.e. sunlight vs indoors lights, translating from French to English (greenish grey vs greyish green), and maybe even a question of semantics; I've been trying not to call it a dark slate colour, lest it muddy the waters even more. In the end it doesn't matter much what we call it; it's like wine: I may not know all the châteaux, but I do know what I like, and I sure like Verdigris, a lot.

B. Russell

• 9 months later...

What this thread did to me is that I ended up with a bottle of Verdigris.

I have just received it and inked it only in my Platinum 3776 SF.

To my eyes, it writes greenish but dries to a dark blue/blue black. Is it just my eyes or ia it what it is? I don't pick up ant green in it.

I have yet to try this ink in other (wetter/broader) nibs. Does the green show up only if ink pools?

This is what it currently looks like, same m205 but with a bit of cellophane between the nib and feed to make it come out lighter; next to Perle Noire, on Fabriano Traccia.

http://i67.tinypic.com/9r25wi.jpg

B. Russell

Thank you Pseudo88: this is quite close to what I get. I must say the flow and legibility is excellent for use in even my fine and dry pens.

thanks for showing us this ink.

A beautiful ink, in appearance and behavior. I write with purple ink, unless I'm doing kana calligraphy with a brush, but Verdigris is the ink I typically give to friends whose favorite color is green.

When Hisoku and Bleu Austral go darker, because of wet pens and / or because they evaporate in the pen, they are really close to Verdigris. As much as I like it, I don't want the same ink in three different pens, so I'm going to great lengths to keep them looking lighter: Hisoku in a fine Pelikan m600, Bleu Austral in an extra fine Faber Castell Ambition by keeping it stored when not in use and refreshing the ink. An example of what a more expensive pen brings to the table...

B. Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this post! I got my bottle last week and I hope put in a pen this weekend! Looks very very nice. For my eyes its green towards teal which I love.

Javier

• 1 month later...

The latter scan is the ink I recognize, I call it a teal-black, but I really like the range of colors in the first scan, so thanks for that!

I was setting up a new pen the other day, and wanted to try some of my Birmingham Pens' Blues, but the pen was persnickety, so I switched to Verdigris, which I knew I could trust, and was able to sort out all my problems!

When it's at its wettest=blackest I'm not so keen, but suddenly it was writing lighter and just gorgeous!

There's a bottle glass quality to this one that I really like!

Hmmm, I do really like the Rohrer & Klingner palette. I need to spend more time with Salix, but every time I use it, I think how lovely it is. I don't have Konigsblau, but would like to see how those three blues work as a trilogy (as the greens: Smargardsgrun/Verdura/AltGoldGrun). Scabiosa is my first love. AltGoldGrun is gorgeous. Sepia is it a wonderful thing. Fernambuk and Helianthus are both indispensable for for me (math teacher!) - so yay, R&K!

Verdigris in this blue m205 is one of those perfect combinations that make me appreciate what it's all about, in spite of the cellophane hack. I'm already thinking of getting an additional bottle.

B. Russell

I like to believe that pens and inks can form life partnerships (or at least find moments of perfect relationship) just like humans!

Some inks just don't work until they find "the one". Some inks I adore, until I try them in another pen and realize it wasn't the ink at all, it was the combination!

I find I have moved from endless "tasting", to a core palette, each with an assigned core pens, and a reserve of pens for seasonal options and experiments - and I am happy with this!
Congratulations to your happy couple!

I like to believe that pens and inks can form life partnerships (or at least find moments of perfect relationship) just like humans!

Some inks just don't work until they find "the one". Some inks I adore, until I try them in another pen and realize it wasn't the ink at all, it was the combination!

I find I have moved from endless "tasting", to a core palette, each with an assigned core pens, and a reserve of pens for seasonal options and experiments - and I am happy with this!

Congratulations to your happy couple!

Thanks, it's a good analogy; I wish I'd understood it before, it took me a very long time to find these matches. Perhaps we should start a thread on the best ones, although that Kon Peki found it looks good in three different pens; a mormon ink?

B. Russell

To a certain extent this will always be personal, so always a bit of polyamory in there; pen, ink, nib, paper, light conditions and user preferences all knocking into each other . . . .

However, I certainly think there is a space for personal anecdotes (I fell in love with De Atramentis' Umber in a red 78g with a BB stub nib, but now that is the only pen I can enjoy that ink in - anything else brings out the brown rather than the green-gold quality!), but there also could be a table that might be helpful especially for newbies, Great Inks for; Fine Pens, Broad Italics, Wet Writers, Dry Writers, Cheap Papers, Fussy Inks, General Purpose Inks etc. Oh, if those were the rows while the columns were by color family this could really be a great resource!?!

In my story above I switched to Verdigris when setting up a new pen because I knew that ruled out the ink being a problem. However I also know I prefer this ink in a pen that is not too wet to push it to black, and maybe broad enough to bring out some bottle-blue/green shading!

More art than science, but that doesn't mean data tables aren't handy for reference?