Platinum 3776, What Do You Think?

fiatboy

I'm going to go with a Japanese pen. Several people have recommended the Platinum 3776. Do these come with a converter? I'll order a fine-nib. Any comments, please. Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• fiatboy

• Runnin_Ute

• LizEF

Hi Fiatboy,

I love both of mine.

But I have medium and broad nibs... no fines... what is a F or EF nib anyway? :unsure:

As far as the converter goes... read the description carefully... I think Platinum is getting cheap... they used to be included, but I don't think they are anymore.

Enjoy. :)

- Anthony

They are decent pens. Be aware that a fine 3776 will be extremely fine. The nibs have quite a bit of feedback (a bit too much for me, but your preferences may be different).

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

I'm going to go with a Japanese pen. Several people have recommended the Platinum 3776. Do these come with a converter? I'll order a fine-nib. Any comments, please. Thanks

No, no converter (at least not when I bought mine - soft fine - a few months back). As Anthony recommended - read the description carefully.

But I have medium and broad nibs... no fines... what is a F or EF nib anyway? :unsure:

- Anthony

Oh! :crybaby: Dagger to the heart! (Next time you plan to stab me, please use an EF nib to do it - maybe in a Decimo - that way I have a chance of stopping you before you ruin the nib and making off with the pen!)

The issue is more where you buy than model or even company dependent. I have found that if bought through a Japanese seller there is often no converter but if bought through a US based site there will be a converter.

My Website

Great pen. I agree with Jar above: US sellers tend to include them; the Japanese sellers do not. But, with what you can save purchasing from Japan, you could buy quite a few converters!

The fine nib is great. Ive had some issues with soft fines in the past, but all my fines have been excellent. They are VERY fine, but not scratchy. Its a good idea to give the section a flush or two before writing with a little ammonia and water solution. Such a well-balanced pen with the cap posted. Enjoy!!

Hi all,

The thing is, they used to be included for the cheaper Japanese market pens, too. Both of mine are from Japan... the first one had it; the second one didn't.

But like Jezza says, considering the money saved... who cares?... :D ...but just make sure you know what's included or you'll probably be stuck with cartridge use only. :o

Be well all. :)

- Anthony

...Oh! :crybaby: Dagger to the heart! (Next time you plan to stab me, please use an EF nib to do it - maybe in a Decimo - that way I have a chance of stopping you before you ruin the nib and making off with the pen!)

Sorry, Liz... :( ...that's always been a bad habit of mine... :( :( ... but fear not... next time I'll use a Pilot Decimo. :thumbup:

:D

- Anthony

When I bought mine in late 2016 (a 3776 Century Borgogne with B nib) I had to buy the converter separate. All in I paid around $80 from a Japanese seller on Amazon. But it has become one of my most used and almost always inked pens.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Never tried it, have long had it in my sights, looks like a more than decent pen; never seen it in the US with a converter, unless explicitly stated. It's a shame I don't like gold accents and the silver accented ones trade for a lot more than the others. There are gold and silver trim converters too.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sorry, Liz... :( ...that's always been a bad habit of mine... :( :( ... but fear not... next time I'll use a Pilot Decimo. :thumbup:

:D

- Anthony

:lol:

Thank you! Looking forward to it!

I have 5 3776s (5 Lakes of Mt Fuji), and my son has a 3776. Outstanding pen, exceptional nib, and always reliable. The slip n' seal cap is outstanding, and I love the feedback on the Platinum nib. The Japanese big 3 (Platinum, Sailor, and Pilot) make fine examples of functional to exquisite fountain pens.

Buzz

I have a soft fine in red and a medium in blue. Neither came with converters. They are both excellent pens. As has been said, if you've not experienced a Japanese fine then be aware that they are really fine. Lovely, don't get me wrong, but very very fine.

Yet another Sarah.

Many people like the 3776. I don't.

Just sold mine and bought a Pilot 91 which I find to be a lot smoother. And it doesn't have the 3776's gaudy gold trim.

But like I said, many people like the 3776.

Love mine, it is a fine point and yes very fine (just like I like them!) Mine came with a converter.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

They are decent pens. Be aware that a fine 3776 will be extremely fine. The nibs have quite a bit of feedback (a bit too much for me, but your preferences may be different).

I haven’t tried a Century yet, but with Platinum’s lower priced pens, the feedback disappears with some inks. Perhaps notably, with Platinum’s own inks. Tho I definitely have found others that do the trick too. If you’ve got some very set favorite inks, maybe test in a cheap Platinum pen before springing for a 3776.

The cartridges are about the same size as Pilot cartridges, and they can be a touch tricky to tell apart by feel.

A fine Pilot or Platinum nib will run about the same width as a typical German XF. It won’t be your finest nib unless you’re a broad nib only sort. The xf and ultra extra fine and other specialty nibs can get really fine and may be noticeably fine even if you’re a fan of the skinny nibs.

You can get a 3776 Century on Amazon for under $80. A gold nib pen for under $80! I have three of them - two mediums and a soft fine. The slip n seal cap never dries out. My only issue with Platinum is the nib feedback. I prefer Pilot nibs. I’ve smoothed my Platinums with micro mesh and am very happy with them. Great value and a gold nib to boot!

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Does a gentle rub over micro mesh remove the feedback?

I prefer smooth, quiet pens but am reluctant to micro mesh a lovely nib. How many figures 8s should I try?

Does a gentle rub over micro mesh remove the feedback?

I prefer smooth, quiet pens but am reluctant to micro mesh a lovely nib. How many figures 8s should I try?

Usually, yes. Feedback from the texture of the tipping can be smoothed with micro mesh. The more polished the tipping, the smoother it should be -- if the tines are aligned.

Impossible to answer your last question. Too many variables. "Smoothness" is a subjective thing and how quickly the micro mesh gets you to that point depends on the micro mesh's condition, how hard you press when smoothing the nib, how rough the nib was to begin with, etc. I usually take it one figure 8 at a time if I'm looking for very small improvements. Other nibs were so bad I just wrote my signature with normal writing pressure to get it to where I wanted it...

I have a Borgogne fitted with a fine nib, bought in Australia without a convertor. When I first bought it I did not think much of it but after a while I have really grown to love this pen. It is now an every day writer filled witb Diamine Sepia.

The nib is the finest nib I own, even finer than some of my extra fines. The extra fine and EEF would have to come with warnings of the possibility of needle stick injuries. When giving my pen it's preuse clean I accidentally jabbed my finger with the nib, did that hurt!

It writes beautifully, never has a hard start and feels very comfortable in hand. The one thing I look at ever time I use it is the width of the nib, to me it is slightly disproportionately to the size of the pen.

Overall, for the price, a good buy.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures