Lamy Swift And Pentel Energel Refill

I have been trying to scourge information if Pentel Energel refill will fit Lamy Swift body.

I have found out that it will fit Pilot G2 refill if you modify the refill by cutting it from the end. According to this epic chart if G2 refill fits then Energel refill will most likely fit. Many other pens that take G2 will also take Energel refill like Retro 51 Tornado.

I have found however 2 comments that Energel refill does not fit Swift. One from reddit and one from a blog where the guy says G2 fits, but it is complete mystery why Energel does not fit.

Has anyone tried this combination? What could be the probem? I do not have G2 refill in my hand so I can't directly compare them, but judging from pictures there is a different after gel reservoir. G2 has a longer, I don't know what to call it. Thick part? That problem should be fixable with o-ring spacers like you would have to do for Lamy 2000 rollerball and Jetstream combo.

Am I missing something obvious here? I don't really see any reason why Energel would not fit Swift.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• ssg-

• RNHC

• usk15

Top Posters In This Topic

Pentel Energel does fit Lamy Swift. The problem is when you press the clicker, it won't catch - that is the tip won't stay extended.

As for Pilot G2, there is no need to cut the end. Just pop off the end cap and it will fit Lamy Swift (and will work). The only minor issue is that the tip doesn't extend as fully as it would in Pilot G2 body.

Why G2 will work and Energel won't, I couldn't figure it out? Thinking it may be have to do something with spring, I've tried swapping out the springs of various length to no avail. I am thinking now, maybe it has to do with shape of clicker end and how it fits the end of the refill?

The problem is when you press the clicker, it won't catch - that is the tip won't stay extended.

While I did my research I came up with another pen and refill combination that had the same problem. I can't find it again so I do not remember what refill it was and what pen. I remember however that the solution was to put 2 springs and then it worked.

I am really tempted to get Swift and try out to figure fix for this. Seems like an very interesting mechanical puzzle.

Edited by ssg-

I've seen Lamy Swift go as low as $31 new on eBay. If you figure it out, please let me know. IMHO, Energel is the best refill among the big three gel refills - G2, Signo, and Energel - and I'd love to use it in a decent pen body.

I have a Lamy Swift graphite with Lamy M66 refill and several Eneregel pens and refills.

1. Energel refills will work, but they are too long and need to trimmed by 3-4 mm, please measure and cut accordingly.

2. Lamy M66 refill has a slimmer end cap which probably fit the internal mechanism of Lamy Swiwt, that is the reason you need to cut and adjust the Energel refill.

3. The tip of Lamy M66 refill is thicker than Energel's tip, resulting a slight movement of Energel refill into Lamy Swift pen!

I have a Lamy Swift graphite with Lamy M66 refill and several Eneregel pens and refills.

1. Energel refills will work, but they are too long and need to trimmed by 3-4 mm, please measure and cut accordingly.

2. Lamy M66 refill has a slimmer end cap which probably fit the internal mechanism of Lamy Swiwt, that is the reason you need to cut and adjust the Energel refill.

3. The tip of Lamy M66 refill is thicker than Energel's tip, resulting a slight movement of Energel refill into Lamy Swift pen!

I've found a good way to alleviate the movement, using a little bit of aluminum tape on the refill. When placed on the right spot, it will work. In some cases it won't work symmetrically, as 1 or 2 full wrappings is too much or too little. Sometimes you need to do just 180 degrees coverage.

I've been using the EnerGel XLRN3, and it's wonderfully extra fine (0.3mm). A tiny bit toothy, depending upon the paper. I was curious to see what the XLRN5 is like (0.5mm) and it looks pretty much like double the thickness. No tooth and very nice flow. You can pick up a box of 10 for like $11 USD (Amazon), which is a seriously good deal.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I ordered Swift and 12 pack of 0.7mm Energel refills.

I will let you know when it arrives if I was able to get it work!

I've found a good way to alleviate the movement, using a little bit of aluminum tape on the refill. When placed on the right spot, it will work. In some cases it won't work symmetrically, as 1 or 2 full wrappings is too much or too little. Sometimes you need to do just 180 degrees coverage.

I've done that based on your recommendation from another post, but sometimes the aluminium tape gets caught in the spring, tearing off leading to a mess. Still a good and valid tip just need more practice!

I've done that based on your recommendation from another post, but sometimes the aluminium tape gets caught in the spring, tearing off leading to a mess. Still a good and valid tip just need more practice!

If you apply it smoothly enough and the spring isn't tight around the shaft, it should work fine. So far I've used this trick in 2 pens with success. You can sometimes swap springs. I often cannibalize springs from disposable pens that have run out of ink or are damaged in some way. There's often a pretty wide range of workable spring lengths and diameters for a given pen.

Didn't work for me. The clicker works - it seems to lock and hold (!) but the refill won't extend far enough out. The tip seems to fall short by about 3-4mm. :D Did you swap out the spring? It's maddening.

I've just made a short video:

http://i65.tinypic.com/200wbab.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/zui88p.jpg

^ At one point I bought a box of Pentel refills with a long plastic shaft on the back end. It can be easily trimmed to fit a variety of pens, as long as the front tip goes through the nose cone. In some cases, the refill doesn't quite work. As you demonstrated in the video, you have to unscrew the nosecone a bit first. Once the tip is locked in place, you screw the nosecone back down and write. To retract, you unscrew the nosecone a little. In one sense it might seem like a pain, but I consider it like a safety switch. For pocket carry, you can't accidentally extend the tip and then have the tip ride on the inside of your pocket trickling ink.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Swift and refills today.

The above trick works, but I am not a fan of always screwing the tip to get the pen writing.

I did some super quick preliminary testing.

I found out that cutting 2mm at the end of the energel refill will make the clicker mechanic work. This will however leave the tip quite much inside the pen and it causes a little sideways movement when writing. Nothing that will get in the way of writing but as I am a perfectionist I wanted to test out if I can make it better just by cutting different amount.

I used sandpaper to gradually shorten the end of the refill.I found out that about 1.8mm is required to make the clicker mechanic work. The tip is still a bit inside the pen, but there is no sideways movement anymore. The difference isn't huge but it makes all the difference visually for me. Looks much nicer this way.

I noticed that Lamy refill tapers gradually towards the tip, Energel is flat and then thin instantly. Once I get my hands on some smaller o-rings I will try if I can make the tip stick out a bit more out of the pen so it sits perfectly.

Here are some pictures I took.

2mm piece and how the tip looks with that cut

http://i65.tinypic.com/vglbh2.jpg

Difference between 2mm and minium fit cut.

http://i64.tinypic.com/nyfn5u.jpg

Difference of the tip between these two cuts.

http://i68.tinypic.com/wt8580.png

^ Nice work, ssg - and thanks for the details. Great photos too!

If the tip is set back slightly inside the pen but not enough to leave a gap, that should work. I have a rather uncommon PILOT Hi-Tecpoint all stainless steel pen where PILOT unfortunately discontinued the refill. A very nice 0.25mm gel type. The pen has such a nifty innovative mechanism with a double-door system in the tip to seal off the tip when stowed, to ward off drying out. I was determined to find a way to modify an existing refill to revive the usefulness of the pen. And it worked. The tip doesn't fully extend, but it's pretty much the same situation you cite with the LAMY Swift using the EnerGel refill.

I was SO CLOSE to getting an EnerGel refill working in that Hi-Tecpoint... as it had just the right shape in the front end. But the diameter of the tube is just a touch too narrow to accept the refill. Something like 0.5mm. Thankfully I could get a BRFN-30EF to work, which provides a seriously nice fine line. Also, a LAMY M22 works.

PILOT_Hi-_Tecpoint_LHT-300_S_mod1.jpg

Pilot_Hi-_Tecpoint_open-close.jpg

PILOT_Hi-_Tecpoint_LHT-300_S_mod2.jpg

Using the LAMY M-22 refill works a little better. But I prefer the BRFN-30 ink.

Pilot_Hi-_Tecpoint_pens-01.jpg

Pilot_Hi-_Tecpoint_refill-mods.jpg

This is the original refill:

Pilot_Hi-_Tecpoint_pen_03.jpg

• 9 months later...

PILOT_Hi-_Tecpoint_LHT-300_S_mod1.jpg

PILOT_Hi-_Tecpoint_LHT-300_S_mod2.jpg

Using the LAMY M-22 refill works a little better. But I prefer the BRFN-30 ink.

Pilot_Hi-_Tecpoint_pens-01.jpg

This is the original refill:

I'm late to the party here, but which Pilot metal pens are these in the pictures below? I tried googling Pilot LHT 300s but couldn't find anything. Are these still currently available?

Thanks

James

Edited by MrPacman

I'm late to the party here, but which Pilot metal pens are these in the pictures below? I tried googling Pilot LHT 300s but couldn't find anything. Are these still currently available?

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Thanks for your interest in these Pilot Hi-Tecpoint metal pens. They are unfortunately discontinued. PILOT also made the "mistake" (in my opinion) of changing the refill such that the new Hi-Tecpoint plastic pens (V5 and V7) have refills that are not compatible with the older Hi-Tecpoint. Hence, my efforts to modify a few different refills to fit.

I got mine from Japan. There are a few different variations:

Ze9V03L.jpg

tc3KRiI.jpg

ZSrpDtK.jpg

7XDF02s.jpg

I haven't seen any on eBay as yet...