The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Dotting The Eyes And Crossing The Teas

cursive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AidenMark

AidenMark

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:59

When writing cursive script I have tried to train my hand not to add dots and crosses until the end of the word as this seems to be faster than lifting the pen mid-word

Of course dotting and crossing can take almost as long as writing the word in the first place, especially in European latin alphabets which use acents, umlaut characters and cedillas to add to a plethora of dots and dashes.

German latin cursive has one trick up its sleeve which I haven't seen in modern English cursive - writing a lower case "t" without needing to go back and cross it.

fpn_1523505450__screen_shot_2018-04-12_a

You can see Julie Turrie forming the letter at 6:10 in this video

Does anyone have any tricks to reduce the number of dots and crosses in their cursive writing?

Edited by AidenMark, 12 April 2018 - 11:40.

Less is More   - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

Sponsored Content

#2 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 14:06

Interesting. I e not seen that form for a lower “t” before. By itself it looks to me like a capital “A” but would probably be clearer in the context of a word.

I don’t have any tricks for reducing dots and crosses. I actually enjoy the act of dotting and crossing. It makes me feel like I’ve completed something, I suppose. If I had to think about it. I guess I find dotting more burdensome than crossing as it can take slightly longer to find the “i” in a word than a “t”.

Now I’m going to play around and see if I can come up with something that looks good and works for me.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cursive

Sponsored Content

|