Wing Sung 698 Crack

Megaloblatta

I have just noticed a crack in the end cap of my Wing Sung 698. I haven't used it much so this is very disappointing! Hopefully these Wing Sung demonstrators aren't going to have the issues TWSBI has... If you have noticed any cracks on your Wing Sung pens please let us know.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Megaloblatta

• dan in montreal

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• FountainClogger

My one year old clear WS 698 (part of my EDC) has one very fine hairline crack each on both ends of the barrel piece (passing through the threads at both ends)

On the section end of the barrel, the crack hasn't reached beyond where the section O-ring rests, so its not creating any leakage issues yet. The crack at the other end is inconsequential as it's way beyond the ink reservoir.

Both cracks are too fine to notice unless you're looking for them. For the most part, I don't notice the cracks,and the pen takes the same beating as any other of my pens. As of now, I trust it enough to carry Noodlers black in my shirt pocket (a leak will be lethal for the shirt).

This model is pretty much perfect for me in terms of design. Easy to dismantle and clean due to a removable section, easy to upgrade to an awesome pilot nib, rock-solid piston mechanism, easy to refill and looks that I find quite pretty. it basically ticks almost all my checkboxes. It would be great to have the exact same pen with a more reliable material.

FWIW, my WS 618 also has similar cracks on the non-section end of the barrel piece.

My WS698 is in disgrace because it evaporated it's ink down to virtually nothing - a fault which earned it a good clean and a place in the drawer where the naughty pens live. It might be allowed out to play in winter. Or not. There are too many good pens to fuss with bad ones. The 3008 for example - I have three of those inked up and they all sailed through summer without a hint of drying out.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I really like the design of the WS 698, except that the cap can't be posted. The gold WS nib I bought with it is actually the smoothest and nicest nib of all the pens I have (I have about 10 ranging from a 1940's Sheaffer Valiant to a badly cracked TWSBI 580).

My WS698 is in disgrace because it evaporated it's ink down to virtually nothing - a fault which earned it a good clean and a place in the drawer where the naughty pens live. It might be allowed out to play in winter. Or not. There are too many good pens to fuss with bad ones. The 3008 for example - I have three of those inked up and they all sailed through summer without a hint of drying out.

I haven't had this problem - in fact my pen regularly sits around for two or so weeks without being used and it starts nicely every time, and the ink doesn't dry out.

I have just noticed a crack in the end cap of my Wing Sung 698. I haven't used it much so this is very disappointing! Hopefully these Wing Sung demonstrators aren't going to have the issues TWSBI has... If you have noticed any cracks on your Wing Sung pens please let us know.

Some are made of subpar, brittle plastic. On first fill, my black WS 618 developed a significant crack in the hooded section. I only noticed it when I capped the pen and saw ink on my fingers. It is now in my pen cemetary.

The pen was not harmed in any way, was not dropped, etc.

I think the name WS is now licensed to diffferent factories and all may not use the exact same plastic. Can anyone confirm this info, btw?

There are a lot of very positive reviews of recent WS products here and elsewhere. Yes, most models work well out of the box. The dubious quality of materials, unfortunately, is not apparent upon first use. Buyer beware.

Edited by dan in montreal

I have 3 WS 698: 2 clear and 1 black. Of the lot, only a clear one has developed a crack across the threads on the barrel near the section. To be honest though, I have to say that I twiddled with it a lot disassembling and reassembling it a bunch of times.

I haven't had this problem - in fact my pen regularly sits around for two or so weeks without being used and it starts nicely every time, and the ink doesn't dry out.

Same goes for me. No issues with mine, the plastic is sturdy and doesn't show a single crack. It feels sturdier and smoother than my WS 618.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

not the same pen but my wing sung 618 has a crack near the piston, not sure how but I'm thinking it cracked when I was turning it to tighten it

it's a pity since I really enjoyed the pen too but now the metal ring wont sit without coming loose, afraid it will spill ink all over if I tried using it now

My 618 been used without issue but I can see why sometime one can inevitably over tighten the piston ; this can cause the barrel to stress and crack, in fact over tightening or mis-threaded screws account for majority of barrel / section crack ( and also over tighten / push on cap )

My 618 been used without issue but I can see why sometime one can inevitably over tighten the piston ; this can cause the barrel to stress and crack, in fact over tightening or mis-threaded screws account for majority of barrel / section crack ( and also over tighten / push on cap )

In my case, the hood crack was not a result of excessive force or even disassembly-reassembly. The pen was merely flushed with water upon reception, left to dry, then inked and used for 10 days. And it cracked. The new WS models seem to be hit and miss. My 698 is still going strong after a year.

The new WS models seem to be hit and miss. My 698 is still going strong after a year.

They must have neglected the production of other models that aren't the 601 and 626, which they've manufactured in a frenzy.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

• 1 month later...

I looked up this thread because I have just noticed a series of cracks in the threaded area of the barrel, where the section screws in. They are above the o-ring, so currently don't pose a leakage threat, but I am going to have to keep an eye on it.

Of the new series of Chinese piston-filler pens I have bought (2 x WS 3008, 1 x WS 698 and 1 x Caliarts Ego), the only one I am currently happy with is the Caliarts Ego.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I looked up this thread because I have just noticed a series of cracks in the threaded area of the barrel, where the section screws in. They are above the o-ring, so currently don't pose a leakage threat, but I am going to have to keep an eye on it.

Of the new series of Chinese piston-filler pens I have bought (2 x WS 3008, 1 x WS 698 and 1 x Caliarts Ego), the only one I am currently happy with is the Caliarts Ego.

I really like my 3008s.i don't know the "Ego".