Your Most Beautiful Pen(S)

senzen

​Hard to decide which is "most" but these two stand-out.

fpn_1523499489__2_ms_crop.jpg

M250 Levenger, M320 Green-striated

That m320 is really tiny, I thought you were comparing an m1000 and an m400 at first. I already think my m205 and m600 (old style) are quite small.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• jar

• mitto

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps my Pelikan M200 Brown Marbled or Platinum 3776 Century Borgogne.

38457636774_aecb58a79c_b.jpg20171219_101740 by Brad Merrill, on Flickr

Brown Marbled third from the right. Don't have a photo of the 3776 handy.

It's a Pelikan invasion! Only after taking the shot did it occur to me... Pelikan, Faber Castell, Lamy... Those darned Germans! But the fact that three of them are impractical Germans probably says something.

fpn_1523546191__m600_m205.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

All my pens are beautiful.

Pics or we can't tell!

B. Russell

My top picks:

post-5351-0-87499000-1523592981_thumb.jpg

Visconti Ti LE Skelton

post-5351-0-91486400-1523593137.jpg

Namiki Custom 72

post-5351-0-28340000-1523593609_thumb.jpg

Newton custom Pelikan M1000 in Blue Lizzard

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Only one of my 10 pens might be considered 'beautiful', and that is a Visconti van Gogh 'Pollard Willows'. It's the only pen that I bought for its looks, I just had to have it. Thankfully it also has the best steel nib I've ever used and writes beautifully.

Another design that I adore is my #1 pen, which is always in my shirt pocket, everywhere: a Kaweco AL Sport Stonewashed Blue. If I use it to take notes in a meeting then I'm in trouble, because I keep looking at the pen and thinking how pretty it is :-).

I applaud Diplomat for making the Aero. I have the orange one. It's a striking balance of classic and modern designs. I wouldn't call it beautiful, but I would certainly call it art. It's my only pen that draws the attention of others. Nobody gives a fig about any of my other pens :-).

My favourite writer is my most boring-looking plastic pen and many would not give it the time of day: my black cigar-shaped Sailor Professional Gear Slim. But at least the nib is beautifully adorned.

However, the winner might be something that isn't even a pen at the moment. It needs serious repair work before it becomes a pen again. It's a little 70+ year old fountain pen labeled 'Boston' that I got from my mother in law. It was her school pen and she used it most of her life. You can see the nib in my avatar. The texture of the cap and the barrel is astounding - they don't make 'em like that anymore.

post-141326-0-06456200-1523602524_thumb.jpeg

post-141326-0-09503800-1523602556_thumb.jpeg

post-141326-0-93842000-1523602729_thumb.jpeg

Ls,

Started 2 years ago with “new” pens. Omas, Pelikan, MB, etc. (1980 – 2017).

Then grew into the oldies/fifties, especially German.

This one stole - Osmia 884 - my heart and hard to say why.

It’s the combination of: size, weight, looks and so solid made. And off course nib.

(by the way: I don’t like “special editions’, too much “jewellery” and paintings on a pen like maki-e (they should be on a wall) / anyway taste is not a subject for discussion 😊)

Greetings,

kdv

post-139053-0-40136300-1523623506.jpg

post-139053-0-85686800-1523625377.jpg

Edited by kdv

My 2 most beautiful pens. Standout combination of shape, style, size, proportion, finish, nib, performance and beauty.

Parker 75 Cisele and Parker Duofold Centennial Pearl and Black

Can't post photos but you know what I mean.

Ls,

Started 2 years ago with “new” pens. Omas, Pelikan, MB, etc. (1980 – 2017).

Then grew into the oldies/fifties, especially German.

This one stole - Osmia 884 - my heart and hard to say why.

It’s the combination of: size, weight, looks and so solid made. And off course nib.

(by the way: I don’t like “special editions’, too much “jewellery” and paintings on a pen like maki-e (they should be on a wall) / anyway taste is not a subject for discussion )

Greetings,

kdv

attachicon.gif osmia.jpg

Lucky you! I only have a black Osmia 884 and it's one of the best writers on the face of the Earth. The celluloid version is even more rare and sought after than the black version because of its stunning looks. This Osmia 552 from the 50s is made of the same celluloid and is one of my lets say 30 most beautiful pens in my collection. Increadible full flex nib! :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lucky you! I only have a black Osmia 884 and it's one of the best writers on the face of the Earth. The celluloid version is even more rare and sought after than the black version because of its stunning looks. This Osmia 552 from the 50s is made of the same celluloid and is one of my lets say 30 most beautiful pens in my collection. Increadible full flex nib! :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's really good looking, and goes perfectly with the Ancient Copper ink bottle.

B. Russell

Supra nib?

If so is a maxi-semi-flex....I have some in gold and the equally good steel.

I also have the semi-flex Diamond nib, that are also =steel & gold.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That's really good looking, and goes perfectly with the Ancient Copper ink bottle.

Thanks and I totally agree. Unfortunately, neither mine nor kdv's pictures really capture the beauty of this celluloid material. It's very difficult to photograph this material right and I didn't spend much time on it. Anyway, it has this indescribably chatoyant look changing between green and silver-gray. Somehow, I like to ink my pens with like colours, so I fancy to use this one with Waterman Harmonious Green usually. :)

Supra nib?

If so is a maxi-semi-flex....I have some in gold and the equally good steel.

I also have the semi-flex Diamond nib, that are also =steel & gold.

Nope, this 552 is not labeled as Supra but my 884 is. Of the few Supras I have, all are very flexible and I'm inclined to consider them full flex. Of the many more non-Supras (just the diamond and number), like the above one (#2), perhaps half is as flexible as the Supras and the rest is a very supple semi-flex. But that's a different topic not connected to beauty and aesthetics as discussed here.

Knives? why not add watches as well? Stamps, models, bird houses?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

""Of the few Supras I have, all are very flexible and I'm inclined to consider them full flex. Of the many more non-Supras (just the diamond and number), like the above one (#2), perhaps half is as flexible as the Supras and the rest is a very supple semi-flex. But that's a different topic not connected to beauty and aesthetics as discussed here."" :(

True, but I don't consider Supra's full flex....but maxi-semi-flex because the nib seems to limit at 3X tine spread rather than 5-6X of may superflex.....Diamond nib is semi-flex.

Slightly different view of my Osmia-Faber-Castell 540.

A decade ago, we were going to go to our first flea market to sell things. A hand full of inherited fountain pens sat in the dark of the drawer for 15 years.

My wife asked, what to charge.....I said E-5 for the pretty one, 1 Euro for the others...............after all they were just obsolete fountain pens.....and my wife had locked my P-75 set up in her jewelry prison long before.

She ordered, "Go look it up." :angry:

Started at 20:00 and at 02:00 I had a fountain pen collection.

Pre depression, the 540 was worth $250 :yikes: :yikes:. My P-75, $225, :o (cost me $22 in real silver money, my 'new' Esterbrook... :rolleyes: $15, which tells you how long a decade can be. Back in 2008, the advice to all noobies was get an Esterbrook first.

Now the price has doubled or tripled, and Chinese pens have came in, along with that cheap Japanese pen.......Esterbrook is not The Pen for noobies to start with.

Yep.....it was better in the Old Days. :P

It was after I got my 140 and 'discovered' semi-flex was as impressive as all said, did I find out the 540 was too.....Although originally I'd just thought it only wrote in the 'wet' line demanded by 'noobies' back then.

Outside of vintage Pelikans few spoke of semi-flex....and that not as detailed as I now do.

It was even later I invented the term maxi-semi-flex, from a Rupp nib (still most flexible maxi I have) and discovered all my Supra nibs were maxi.

I do have a system of flex rates that I developed that works for me.....

I'm sure I'd never had many hours of fountain pen discussions, had Thomas (Kaweco) bought my 5 Euro fancy fountain pen. I'd had more of the single malts I once 'collected'. Perhaps drifted into the wonderful world of aged Apple Brandy.....that I've not reached yet. :(

;) In the end all one has is empty bottles too big to put ink in.

ndEYUCd.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.