Your Most Beautiful Pen(S)

senzen

I have long followed a utilitarian approach to fountain pens, which ultimately serve as the vehicle for inks, with a collection mainly of Lamy Vistas and Mujis; but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a good looking pen, even if many of those are way out of my budget. I have better pens in terms of their nibs or ergonomics, but with the arrival of an m205 it made me think about design, as I find this pen mesmerizing, so here are my four finalists: Pelikan m205, Faber Castell Ambition in pearwood, Lamy Studio in Imperial Blue and Black. Which are yours? Pictures please!

fpn_1523473203__m205_ambition_studios.jp

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• jar

• mitto

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These two:

Pelikan 101N. Love the design (esp. post war 100N/101N), love how they write and especially, love this color scheme. Honey/Light Tortoise/MoP might be even better but... hens teeth and all that (with a price to match). :D

13173039_10154294525144063_6124768000446

Featured here with Heimo Roselli's UHC (Ultra High Carbon = Wootz) wilderness knife/puukko (Eräpuukko).

Next...

rOtring 600 (first gen.) a with Cold Steel Peace Keeper I (Sanmai blade).

13123356_10154294524854063_1297203787175

These embody that something which is at the same time elegant but also very much engineered so that it looks like it was engineered, very industrial (designer) looking. These are not the most pleasant pens to use for prolonged times aside from the mechanical pencils (which are superb for drafting). But yeah, they sure are beautiful (in the same special way an A-10 Thunderbolt II is beautiful), they just look and feel great (like precision tools).

Plenty of other pens out there that I love and admire but do not (yet) have.... ;)

Well, I should have mileage left for several decades on this planet of ours so I think more happy encounters are ahead and waiting to happen. :)

Edited by mana

I can't answer this. It's like asking which is my favorite child.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

A quick glance around my desktop and my eye is drawn to my Graf von Faber Castell, Platinum plated Classic - EF nib :wub:

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_gvfc_classic_salamander_ef_nib.jpg

My most beautiful pen is easy; The Danitrio Fellowship Pen. I don't have a picture of mine at hand but here is a picture Siv posted several years ago:

www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/231236-some-danitrio-love/

see post #12 . The Fellowship pen is at the top. You can search for it around these forums and find several examples.

My next candidates are less clear. I've two other urushi Danitrio pens, a Densho in Aka Tamenuri and a Mikado in Tame-Midori. They are both beautiful in their own right.

A different sort of beauty is my Grandfather's Sheaffer Sentinel Deluxe and my Father's Sentinel Deluxe that was his High School Graduation present.

Edited by Kelly G

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I have a number of beautiful pens. But not all in the same way. Not sure I could pick just one.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have a number of beautiful pens. But not all in the same way. Not sure I could pick just one.

Go on . . . what was the first pen that you thought of?

(you can always change your mind and show us another . . . :rolleyes:)

I can't answer this. It's like asking which is my favorite child.

Well... I also think that but if I absolutely had to choose it would be based on the ink, so Tsuyu Kusa which looks spectacular out of a Sailor Professional Gear; even though I find the m205 stunning.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

These two:

Pelikan 101N. Love the design (esp. post war 100N/101N), love how they write and especially, love this color scheme. Honey/Light Tortoise/MoP might be even better but... hens teeth and all that (with a price to match). :D

Next...

rOtring 600 (first gen.) a with Cold Steel Peace Keeper I (Sanmai blade).

Interesting, I'd never seen that design in a Pelikan; I have a soft spot for the Rotring 600, I had the mechanical pencil which I managed to lose, I still look for them regularly.

B. Russell

How about your top three? Five?

B. Russell

My Pelikan M200:

attachicon.gif JapanesePaperWeightandPelikanM200Web.jpg

The small cast bronze paper weight from Iwate Prefecture, Japan reminds me of the Pelikan logo.

Yeah, that is quite a match! For some reason the marble finish in Pelikans doesn't do it for me; my loss!

B. Russell

A quick glance around my desktop and my eye is drawn to my Graf von Faber Castell, Platinum plated Classic - EF nib :wub:

That nib is so outlandishly beautiful!

B. Russell

​Hard to decide which is "most" but these two stand-out.

fpn_1523499489__2_ms_crop.jpg

M250 Levenger, M320 Green-striated

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Go on . . . what was the first pen that you thought of?

(you can always change your mind and show us another . . . :rolleyes:)

Perhaps my Pelikan M200 Brown Marbled or Platinum 3776 Century Borgogne.

38457636774_aecb58a79c_b.jpg20171219_101740 by Brad Merrill, on Flickr

Brown Marbled third from the right. Don't have a photo of the 3776 handy.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

On the "this was the first to come to mind" basis, the S T Dupont "Cheval" Neo-classique:

fpn_1523501322__cheval.jpg

Its appearance, all gold leaf and chinese lacquer, makes it easy to come to mind. In reality it has strong competitors among my pens, both vintage and modern.

X

That nib is so outlandishly beautiful!

I know . . . it sings too. The last of my pens to still do so :)

Don't have a picture of my Finnish knifes...One don't have a name on it, has a wood grouse on the sheath. I wasn't turned on by the then stylish black top/spine of the blade, but the handle is burl :notworthy1: :notworthy1: , four blood grip thumb groves sawn into the handle :thumbup:, with a deerhorn cap.

Very sharp 8cm/3.1" blade. Well balanced little hunting or caping knife.

I have a J.Martiini 15 1/2cm/6 inch fish fillet knife I've had for 40 years. That was back when Finnish fillet knives dominated the market, in being best and very affordable. Would recommend one.

Finnish knives are affordable top quality, and with very good steel. :thumbup:

And a Jokkmokk 10cm/3.9 inch birch handled one with a slight finger guard and thin brass cap I've had for twenty years. Got it at Ikea. Had grown up with hunting knives with at least a small finger guard. I don't know what happened my first hunting knife, (I'd had since I was 11-12,) to my Case mdl 39, (a sleek upswept skinner, with grooved thumb rest on the top of the blade.) but it was a very fine 'little' knife. ...I was such a foolish little boy wishing it a Bowie....but Pop knew more about knives then me.) Don't remember how long the blade was, but then it was considered just about dainty. It might get looked down now for being 'big'. :lticaptd:

Not that I need it, but if I ever go back to the States would look for one for the hell of it. Unfortunately it's not made any more.

That sawn thumb hold on the unnamed Finnish knife, let me pick that with out fearing clumsiness.

Very, very good 'working' knives at a 'cheap' price.

I gave up my Marine K-Bar 7 inch (The AF 5 inch model is the much more handy K-bar. Throws better too.) and Buck 120 7 inch General Bowie. Both have no weak points as a Bowie. How ever I'm not going hunting Grizzly or need a night knife for 'prowlers' any more. :)

For Arkansas toothpick....if I ever hit the lottery I'd pick up the Randell # 1 set with matching Bowie....and leave drool spots on them. My father had a 7 inch 'Orlando' Randell # 3 hunting knife :puddle: . But that was back in the '50's and he'd learned as a kid, one needed such a sword for hunting. He learned later it was not so. I do pity the bear that knife ran into.

xxxxxxxxxxx

A couple of my pretties pens I never took a (good) picture of like an Italian Columbus '50's piston pen.

I have 5 or 6 other real pretty pens too....My MB Woolf has a real pretty, with my eyes only bling nib, that I might show later in this thread. Like my pre'war Boehler full tortoise.

My extreme sleek classy inlaid nib black and gold Geha 725 is one of the prettiest best balanced pens made, but I Have to Take a Picture of it's clip :notworthy1: , where two slightly curved lines in it adds so much class. :headsmack: Been saying that for half a decade. :wallbash:

I have the same Fendomatic, Milan made '30's superflex Safety Pen a tad different chased, than this one, with permission of Penboard.de. They make a much better picture than me.

UPQpECd.jpg

BCHR Boehler pens, right after he split the Osmia company with his brother in 1938.

RfIkpTy.jpg

Austrian Rusewe from the mid '50's still cork. Both NOS.

hslHzkC.jpg

rkQUdjI.jpg

Tiny cracked ice Rusewe

iyftakH.jpg

6Cdx0LR.jpg

The same problem with the ball points that was common in the '50's, don't retract well on one, the other the clicker is a tad offset and really I can't do what I did in third grade in class, which was take out my pocket knife and shave it straight.............Today parents would end up doing 99 years, for giving their kid a Boy Scout or Remington pocket knife....Back of nowhere Texas, different era.

Ball points use to develop an ink 'ring' at the ball junction. It was more messy back then, and the ink never came off of hand nor cloths.

'50-51 Osmia-Faber-Castel 540 with a grand steel Supra, maxi-semi-flex M.

3qPLO3y.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

BCHR Boehler pens, right after he split the Osmia company with his brother in 1938.

RfIkpTy.jpg

:drool:

B. Russell