What Country For Dryden Designs?

pitonyak

I purchased a Dryden Designs pen and I am in the processing of evaluating for review. I am a bit unclear where to post this review. And no, this company is not listed as a known company.

https://www.dryden.design/

My initial thought was that as a company based in the USA, it is a USA pen. This is what I know about them.

1. All of their pens are designed by them in the USA.
  2. Materials for the pens are sourced from 5 different countries of which the USA is one.
  3. All of their nibs are made in Germany.
  4. Finally assembly is done in their warehouse in China

So, when I am finished, should I post to the USA forum because the company is designed and based in the USA, or China because they are assembled in China, or Europe since the reality is that the NIB makes the pen and those are all made in Germany? I am inclined to post in the USA forum. Also, should this company be added to our list of known pen companies?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pitonyak

• amberleadavis

• Karmachanic

• sciumbasci

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you tell me why you think that these are simply Jinhao pens? Do they look like a Jinhao model that already exists?

They might be Jinhao pens, but, Dryden claims that they design the pen in the USA, so, it is their design. This may mean that they work off an existing design and change certain details, but, all of their pens use German made pens. More specifically, from the head of the company:

All our nibs, in fact, are German made. We have an almost exclusive contract with a German nib supplier who makes for us Iridium type nibs.

So the claim is not just that it is using Iridium, which says nothing about the nib except the tipping material, but that it is actually manufactured there. No guessing as to what "almost exclusive" means.

I don't think that Jinhao uses German nibs in general, but I could be mistaken. Also, I have only tested the lower end Jinhao pens. I ordered a 750 to test because I heard that those are pretty good, but the pens that I am testing now are a mixed bag.

The Dryden pen that I received has worked pretty flawlessly so far.

I asked about swapping out the nib and was told that some of their more creative customers have managed to do this and that they are working on a design that would make this easier to do. If someone believes that this is a slightly modified Jinhao (or exactly the same as an existing) - because "designed" could mean that they chose the colors I suppose - could you tell me which model because I want to look for a "disassembly" video, which I can probably find for a specific Jinhao, but not likely for a Dryden Designs pen (or at least it has alluded me so far).

I really appreciate your input / feedback.

Oh, and finally, the company told me that:

We source the different materials for our pens from 5 different countries including Germany, USA, Taiwan, Hong Kong and China.

Wow, their website is impossible to use because of all the pop ups.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Wow, their website is impossible to use because of all the pop ups.

Are you sure you don't want a discount? How about giving us your email? Yeah, their web site is annoying, well, it is if you do not say "yes". I did not say yes.

LOL

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Top two on right of screen look like Jinhaos. The grip and clip . Also the imitation Parker Sonnet. And the price is like X-Fountain pens price.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Well. I went back for another look. I discovered:

"Over the years, Dryden has continued to demonstrate expertise in the fine art of pen making, constantly refining the processes to remain at the cutting edge of craftsmanship capabilities.

The chiselling process

The pen is chiselled to create intricate and beautiful designs providing a tactile experience when writing with the pen."

Went for a poke about on the net and haven't been able to find evidence of one of those pens made with a chisel from years ago. Hmmm. :unsure: Doesn't mean they don't exist. Which German nib maker stamps their nibs "Genuine German Iridium"? Very well may be genuine German iridium, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a German nib.

I'll stick with a $3 x750 Jinhao if in search of an inexpensive, well made pen, and forgo the Dryden price premium.

Add lightness and simplicate.