Buying A Heritage 1912

chemophilic

What ink are you going to use in your new pen?

I'm planning to start with the Toffee Brown first, but my backup ink will be the Kobe #38 or the Diamine 1864 Blue Black. I am going to use this as my daily writer (has been the Lamy 2000 for the past few years to write all my lecture notes, journals, etc.) so want a slightly more conservative ink.

Best tip for collecting your new pen is to also check out the 149s, you know it is going to happen...

I actually have a hand-me-down 144 that I like very much but is with a nib-grinder right now. I was also gifted a Meisteruck Solitaire Tribute to the Mont Blanc Rollerball a few years ago, so the collection is growing...

Do tell us all about your Boutique adventure, please.

And I just talked with the MB boutique and they confirmed with me that the pen is arriving tomorrow, so I am really looking forward to that. I will try to report back tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• chemophilic

• Pro-forma

• Dcharles

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ask them to gift you a nice bottle of midnight blue.

They will .... if you ask.

Edited by meiers

If you're looking for a more conservative ink I would also recommend MB Oyster Grey.

Midnight Blue is a staple color for the 1912. Particularly the older versions which appears even more faded.

I am afraid Oyster Grey wont provide much functionality unless you have a nice rich OBB or BB nib

Congratulations!

I just came back from the MB boutique but unfortunately, today's not the day. The pen they showed me, which they just ordered from elsewhere, looked very used out of the box, with ink stain on the nib and from the feed, and also the "ring rub" on the section where the cap touched the pen. I didn't quite handle the pen much, but I like the weight and the feel of the pen. They said they will order another one to arrive next week. So slightly disappointed, but hopefully, second time's the charm.

Just bought a second 1912 Heritage, Broad nib, from Appelboom. First one was a medium, I really think broad will be my nib size of choice now. Excellent service from Appelboom.

I just came back from the MB boutique but unfortunately, today's not the day. The pen they showed me, which they just ordered from elsewhere, looked very used out of the box, with ink stain on the nib and from the feed, and also the "ring rub" on the section where the cap touched the pen. I didn't quite handle the pen much, but I like the weight and the feel of the pen. They said they will order another one to arrive next week. So slightly disappointed, but hopefully, second time's the charm.

That certainly is uncharacteristic for a Boutique buying experience. Seems like a major faux-pas to present a pen in that condition. That being said, I have the 1912 and concur that it is an exceptional pen.

The pen they showed me, which they just ordered from elsewhere, looked very used out of the box, with ink stain on the nib and from the feed, and also the "ring rub" on the section where the cap touched the pen....

That is completely unacceptable. What are they thinking?!?

That is completely unacceptable. What are they thinking?!?

Just bought a second 1912 Heritage, Broad nib, from Appelboom. First one was a medium, I really think broad will be my nib size of choice now. Excellent service from Appelboom.

I agree. I'd have thought that they would at least inspect the pen and let me know in advance if something's amiss. I had a good experience last time browsing the store and had a good chat with the people there, so I am going to give this boutique one more shot. If it doesn't work out, I think I will be ordering from the Fountain Pen Hospital or Appelboom.

Hi,

Greetings from Hong Kong.

For some reason I couldn't use the quote function so I am just going to post my reply directly.

I have been using fountain pen for more than 3 years and therefore I have actually been wandering on this website for a LONG LONG time but this is my first post because

WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!!

I ALSO happen to have something worthy to commemorate in my career that happened in April 2018.

More importantly, I ALSO commemorated it by purchasing a MontBlanc HERITAGE 1912. (The nib on this pen was a OM, though.)

When I was in the boutique, it came down to two pens: Heritage 1912 and Rouge Et Noir. The customer services here in Hong Kong MontBlanc boutiques is very well. (Although it's only reasonable considering how much you are paying for a MontBlanc Pen.) As I had been using a 149 prior to this visit, I think that I won't be as comfortable writing with the Rouge Et Noir which comes with such a thin barrel. Therefore, I brought home the Heritage 1912.

It had been a great joy to write with the Heritage 1912 since. However as I was writing I started wondering if I would actually prefer writing with a 146 over writing with a 149, especially in lengthy writing sessions. Although you get to try out the pens in the boutique, you don't really get to write for more than 2 hours in the boutique.

And the next problem to me would be whether I should get a 146 or another 149 (I have already decided the nib to be OB, though). I will take some time to feel about the pens before making the next move.

Best Regards

That should not happen in a MB boutique. If they had offered you a big discount then this might be an option ... otherwise not.

I got my Heritage new and never used on a sale on eBay. This was real luck. I prefer a broad nib and it is one of the best nibs I've ever written with. Even a MB 149 (with 18C broad nib) is not as good as the Heritage.

I hope you will get your beautiful Heritage soon. And be aware not to cap the pen. Furthermore you will get some "rings" around the position of the cap. It is a little design drawback of the Heritage but nevertheless it is a perfect pen.

Regards, Ingolf.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

Hi, Greetings from Hong Kong. For some reason I couldn't use the quote function so I am just going to post my reply directly. I have been using fountain pen for more than 3 years and therefore I have actually been wandering on this website for a LONG LONG time but this is my first post because WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!! I ALSO happen to have something worthy to commemorate in my career that happened in April 2018. More importantly, I ALSO commemorated it by purchasing a MontBlanc HERITAGE 1912. (The nib on this pen was a OM, though.) When I was in the boutique, it came down to two pens: Heritage 1912 and Rouge Et Noir. The customer services here in Hong Kong MontBlanc boutiques is very well. [.....]

Well, even more is that I also came from Hong Kong, and I was also deciding between the 1912 and the Rouge Et Noir! At the end, just like you, I don't think I can hold the thin barrel comfortably and thus pick the 1912. Thanks for sharing your experience; I am more convinced to go with the 1912, now I just need to find one!

That should not happen in a MB boutique. If they had offered you a big discount then this might be an option ... otherwise not.

[....]

Thanks Ingolf. The gentleman at the store told me that won't be able to give me a discount despite the signs of use. Moreover, maybe I am a bit vain, but I would prefer my first MB purchase to be as new (or new-ish) as possible...

Wow,

What a coincidence, maybe we are working in the same industry as well!

One thing that made me hesitate about getting a 1912 was the little ink storage. At the end I still decided to go with it because in my collection I am lack of such a classical pen that operates like a safety pen. Furthermore, as this pen serves as a trophy (at least to myself), what it symbolises came before its practical value.

Good luck to your search

Thats exactly how my journey to a Broad 1912 happened, the Medium was good but the Broad is just perfect in this pen.

One thing that made me hesitate about getting a 1912 was the little ink storage. At the end I still decided to go with it because in my collection I am lack of such a classical pen that operates like a safety pen.

I agree, the Heritage holds not as much ink as a MB149 or a Pelikan Souveraen M1000/1005. But to my experience it works well for several days. And in cases of emergency I use a little ink tube normally used for ink samples to keep the Heritage working.

post-121236-0-79246000-1523624881_thumb.jpg

... currently filled with the beautiful "Presidential Blue" by Diamine :rolleyes:

Edited by ingolf

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

Thank you for the support!

Visit our webstore www.appelboompennen.nl

We ship worldwide!

I agree, the Heritage holds not as much ink as a MB149 or a Pelikan Souveraen M1000/1005. But to my experience it works well for several days. And in cases of emergency I use a little ink tube normally used for ink samples to keep the Heritage working.

IMG_3913.jpg

... currently filled with the beautiful "Presidential Blue" by Diamine :rolleyes:

I am getting obsessed with talking to other Fountain Pen lovers, starting to regret that I hadnt started posting sooner.

Would you mind sharing about the nib on your 1912?

What do you think about m, b, om and ob nib?

On this pen and on other montblanc pens?

Thank you in advance

Edited by Pro-forma