The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook Historical Map

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 20:36

I've started to put together a Google Map with the various known sites related to Esterbrook's history. It's not complete, but I thought some might find it interesting as is. 

I've identified a second Camden site they used for manufacturing fountain pens. Not sure exactly what they did there vs. the main factory, but it was used from 1951 through 1964 when Esterbrook moved all of their production from Camden to Cherry Hill. There was a third site used for storage, and even a possible fourth site in North Camden (the source for that is from 2005, so not contemporary). 

I've also identified where the English works were located. It's now a student dorm, but was formerly the John Mitchell works. Esterbrook first used Mitchell to make his steel pens under contract for the European market, then Esterbrook purchased John Mitchell outright. It's probably a fair guess to think they made their early gold nibs for the Conway Stewart and other early English fountain pens there. In 1948 they started to make the Esterbrook J pens and others in the same building in which they had made the steel pens. 

I would love to find out where in Brazil, Columbia, Canada, and Mexico City they had factories. I haven't even begun that research. 

I've also found a few of their New York offices, at least the address, as well as their original Philadelphia address on Arch St.  It can give you an idea of how much they moved around, and how well bunched most of them are along John St. 

And I've thrown in a few of the homes lived in by Richard Sr. and Jr.. I've also include the homes of three guys I think may well be original pen makers for Esterbrook. At least one, John Turner, was British and came in 1860. I can't confirm they worked for Esterbrook, but they were pen makers in Camden, living just a couple of blocks from the Factory at a time when no other steel pen makers were in Camden. It's pretty likely. 

Anyway, I'll update the map as I gather more. If you have more to add or corrections, let me know, with sources and I'll add it. 

Andrew

Check out my Steel Pen Blog. https://thesteelpen.com/ . 

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

#2 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

"Federalist Frank".....(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,694 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:29

A lot of great info Andrew!

Thanks for looking into all of this!

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,132 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:26

You might want to include the two known Esterbrook black holes on your map.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 2,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:42

You might want to include the two known Esterbrook black holes on your map.

Care to elaborate? Would those be like Bermuda triangles for Esterbrook pens?

-Montaigne

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,132 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:45

44.288099,-88.4673033 is a known hole and 37.5985877,-122.4172856 is a suspect hole.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#6 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 2,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:34

I think you were slightly off with the first one. It’s actually closer to (44.2622182,-88.4054536)

Still have to investigate the second.

I was right. These are like the Bermuda Triangle. Many Esterbrook’s go in, few ever come out.

-Montaigne

#7 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 2,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 20:32

I've started adding in more than Esterbrook onto the map. I've added addresses for Washington Medallion, Harrison & Bradford, and Turner & Harrison. Each grouping has its own layer so you can show or hide layers as you'd like. But it's interesting to see the clumping of offices in certain areas of NYC. 

I'll add more and go further back as well as I get the opportunity. It will turn into "The Steel Pen" map of history.  :)

-Montaigne

#8 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 2,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:03

I've also added the locations of Richard Sr. and Richard Jr.'s graves, at least the cemetery. If anyone knows where in the cemetery they're buried, I can move the marker. 

I've also added the ancestral home in Cornwall based on the info from the Jean Esterbrook thread above.

Edited by AAAndrew, 15 April 2018 - 01:06.

-Montaigne

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,132 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 14:34

I think you were slightly off with the first one. It’s actually closer to (44.2622182,-88.4054536)

Still have to investigate the second.

I was right. These are like the Bermuda Triangle. Many Esterbrook’s go in, few ever come out.

Rumor has it two Js and a pencil got sucked in this week...

#10 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 21:36

Thank you Andrew   I certainly appreciate you willingness to share   not to mention valuing all your hard work.

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#11 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 2,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 23:15

I’m happy to share. I’m just glad someone else finds it interesting.

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

|