Is It Counterfeit? A Yard-O-Led On Ebay

Kelly G

I'm not an expert or even a minor authority on Yard-o-Led pens by any stretch. But I do have a Grand Barley and this pen being sold as a Grand Barley is different than mine. (See listing 222389888157 ) In particular, mine has a sterling section and the nib is either white gold or gold with a silver colored (palladium?) plating. Also the nib is labeled differently on my pen.

So, is this a fake or did Y-o-L pens once come with two tone nibs and plastic or rubber sections?

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kelly G

• Barkingpig

• MikeW

• PAKMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yours is probably a Victorian this one seems to be a Viceroy.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

It looks like it was swapped with one from an Imperial

post-855-0-88283000-1523304910_thumb.jpeg

Edited by MikeW

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Yours is probably a Victorian this one seems to be a Viceroy.

Nope. Mine is a Viceroy Grand Barley, of that I am positive. The Victorian is a decidedly different finish. As far as I can surmise from their website, The Y-o-L fountain pens come in three sizes: Grand, Standard, and Pocket. They come in three finishes: Victorian, Barley, and Plain; the Plain only comes in the standard size; Victorian and Barley come in all three sizes. The label Viceroy seems to be a style designation for pens. There are several styles of pencils but only the Viceroy for fountain pens.

But, there are no fountain pens that are not all Sterling; sections, barrels, and caps. There are no plastic/rubber sections to be seen on the web site. I'm thinking there used to be some additional styles of fountain pens in years past. But I'm also thinking that the Y-o-L company went through some financial difficulty and is not the same company it used to be. Thus my original question as to the veracity of the ebay pen, which purports to be a "YARD O LED VICEROY BARLEY STERLING SILVER 925 VERMEIL BOXED **MINT CONDITION**" I also thought that Y-o-L only made solid Sterling pens. But, like I said, I'm no expert.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Here is some clarifying information. The short version is, the Y-o-L pens, pre-sometime in the 1990's used to come with a black section and were available in vermeil as well as Sterling.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/92643-yard-o-led-experts-question-for-you/

I remember watching Stephen Brown's review of his first YoL pen, the Retro Grand, a black bodied & capped pen with a sterling silver section just before I purchased my Astoria Grand pen from Fahrneys in Washington DC, 6-9-2014, when it was being discontinued. Mine is also an acrylic body & cap with sterling section, so I know there were pens made & sold that were not entirely made of Sterling silver until mid year 2014.

It is a shame that so many of the interesting variants of the Yard-o-Led pens are no longer made. They are such high quality pens.

It is a shame that so many of the interesting variants of the Yard-o-Led pens are no longer made. They are such high quality pens.

True - I just spent too much on an Astoria because, much as I admire YoL "normal" pens, I'm much more attracted to the Astoria look and finish

True - I just spent too much on an Astoria because, much as I admire YoL "normal" pens, I'm much more attracted to the Astoria look and finish

I understand your feeling about the Astoria; I appreciated the "normal" pens but didn't want one. My Astoria had their style but was more appealing to me & I have never been sorry for my choice for the only YoL pen I intended to purchase.