Compare And Contrast: Pelikan 800 And Minimalistica

Karmachanic

For those that own both of these pens please share the advantages/disadvantages, things you do/don't like and so forth. If you could only have one which would it be and why. Ignore price difference. If you do not own both I request you please try to refrain from adding noise to signal.

I was seriously considering a Pelikan until I discovered the Conid Minimalistica a few days ago. Now I'm not so sure about the Pelikan. I already have a small cache of #6 nibs. I have a modest pension. It's one or the other. Both isn't going to happen. Might even be neither, if I'm being practical. But if I was really that practical I wouldn't use fountain pens!

Minimalistica

Body length = 126mm

Posted = 160mm

Weight 26 g

Pelikan 800

Body length = 127mm

Posted = 166mm

Weight = 29g

Thank you!

Edited by kd3

Add lightness and simplicate.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• Jezza

• katerchen

• Mulrich

I have both pens and find I use the Pelikan much, much more. I cant give a specific reason, but I have purchased another three 800s.

Ive got two Caisos and they are only rarely used.

Other peoples opinions would be valued!

Ive tried editing but cant get the apostrophe in an abbreviation (using iPhone), can anyone help?

Edited by landrover

I used to have a Conid. The "regular" one (I'm being informal here ... not sure what the exact name was. It was before the Minimalistica came about and it was their base model at the time)

I ended up re-selling it. Came to me already pre-loved (the previous owner took very good care of the pen) so other than shipping cost I didn't lose money and got to try out one of the iconic pens of our time.

It's an engineering marvel. But for some reason it did't click with me. Between the M80x and the Conid, almost always I'd reach for the Pelikan. In part it's the classic beauty of the pen but also the fact that I came to dislike Titanium nibs. They are too mushy for me. (That's fixable with money if you go for a 14K/18K nib but then the cost starts to add way up)

An M800 can be had right now for #230 from Cult pens with no wait. Excluding VAT, not sure if you guys as a "sovereign state" are subject to VAT or not ...

That amount won't buy you a gold-nibbed Minimalistica, so that's something to keep in mind.

I had a pre-owned Conid minimalistica in great shape. It was nice and well made, but its gone and the Pelikans remain. The M800/805 is not perfect. I loathe the trim ring, for example. But, its just a solid writer with a low-fuss filling mechanism. The Conids filler worked, and it held a lot of ink, but I just couldn't get it to feel comfortable. Also, youre really paying a lot for a filling mechanism and a basic nib.

It's an engineering marvel. But for some reason it did't click with me. Between the M80x and the Conid, almost always I'd reach for the Pelikan. In part it's the classic beauty of the pen but also the fact that I came to dislike Titanium nibs. They are too mushy for me. (That's fixable with money if you go for a 14K/18K nib but then the cost starts to add way up)

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Would it be correct to say that your preference for the Pelican is due to esthetics and the nib? The Pelikan is a classic beauty, which I too find attractive.

I find the Minimalistica to have an austere functional beauty that calls no attention to itself (having only seen it online). Stealth, if you will, and I appreciate that very much. As for nibs, to me a gold nail and a steel nail are equally nails.

With the cost of additonal nibs I think the Minimalistica will cost less than the Pelikan in the long run, and that is a factor I must consider.

Thanks again for your input. I look forward, with great interest, to what others might have to say before I make up my mind.

I had a pre-owned Conid minimalistica in great shape. It was nice and well made, but its gone and the Pelikans remain. The M800/805 is not perfect. I loathe the trim ring, for example. But, its just a solid writer with a low-fuss filling mechanism. The Conids filler worked, and it held a lot of ink, but I just couldn't get it to feel comfortable. Also, youre really paying a lot for a filling mechanism and a basic nib.

Care to expand upon that? Because that may be the deciding factor in the end. Of course I understand this to be completely subjective, but I'd still like hear, if you feel inclined.

Edited by kd3

I have both pens and find I use the Pelikan much, much more. I cant give a specific reason, but I have purchased another three 800s.

Ive got two Caisos and they are only rarely used.

Other peoples opinions would be valued!

Ive tried editing but cant get the apostrophe in an abbreviation (using iPhone), can anyone help?

Tap the 123 icon bottom left of the keyboard?

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Would it be correct to say that your preference for the Pelican is due to esthetics and the nib?

Short answer : yes.

Also, you are right that a steel nib would serve better than a Titanium upgrade.

-k

Care to expand upon that? Because that may be the deciding factor in the end. Of course I understand this to be completely subjective, but I'd still like hear, if you feel inclined.

You're right: it's not really very specific to say the Conid was just uncomfortable. I suppose it was a combination of a few things. The pen is back heavy, like the M800, but it's also longer. I prefer the balance of the M800, which is good with the cap unposted.

I was also uncomfortable with the pen in terms of where it fit in my accumulation. The overall design is very similar to the Lamy 2000, but with an open nib. As I already have the Lamy 2000 in multiple versions, the Conid really didn't offer me anything extra beyond a more complicated filling mechanism.

Similarly, in terms of demonstrator pens, I already had a Pilot 823, which holds nearly as much ink and a much better #15 nib in 14K for a significantly lower price. Ultimately, the Conid just didn't get used. However, just because it didn't fit into my collection doesn't mean it wouldn't fit into yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both and like both a lot so I think either will be a good purchase. The M800 is one of my all-time favorite pens and my first high-end pen so I have some sentimental bias.

The M800 is definitely flashier (although some of the trims are more subtle). This is a pro or a con for me depending on the situation. The M800 cap has a tendency to loosen if left unattended in a pocket which has led to me investing in various stain-removers. In part because of my experience with the M800 caps, I've come to appreciate snap caps (or similar) a lot. The Minimalistica uses a slip cap (not as secure as a snap) but I've never had a problem with it coming lose unintentionally.

Both are well made but Conid's manufacturing is a step above. If you do run into problems, Pelikan's are very common and can be repaired by most pen repair people. Conid's probably have to go back to Belgium but the company is really good on warranty issues. That said, both will likely last a couple lifetimes without any problems.

The Conid's derlin has a nicer feel than the M800's plastic. A plastic/acrylic Conid is good but probably not as good as the M800.

I don't have much experience with Conid's gold nibs, but I enjoy their titanium nibs a lot. M800s are generally dependable writers but usually stiff. Conid gives a lot more option on nibs (and can be compatible with most nib brands) which can be a plus. An M800 nib unit is a lot easier to swap than a Conid nib but those nib units are expensive and limited in options.

Conid has an advantage in pen maintenance. M800s are easier to clean than most piston pens (the removable nib unit helps a lot) but the bulkfiller is still quicker and easier to flush. I rotate inks so this matters a lot to me.

Buying new, I think the Conid is probably more expensive but the opposite is probably true in the secondary market (Conids seem to hold value a lot better).

I don't think you can go wrong with either so the decision may come down to aesthetics.

Thank you for your insights Mulrich.

I'm inclined towards the Delrin as a more classic finish. I suspect 'demonstrator' to be a passing fad. As one who likes nib variety I think the Minimalistica will work out as the less expensive in the long run, which is a large factor for me. I have a #5 Ti nib, and in all likelyhood, would aquire a #6 for a Minimalistica.

So for me it looks like three considerations. Aesthetics, as you mentioned, and overall cost, to include additional nibs.

I sense a package from Belgium in my future!

Thank you for your insights Mulrich.

I'm inclined towards the Delrin as a more classic finish. I suspect 'demonstrator' to be a passing fad. As one who likes nib variety I think the Minimalistica will work out as the less expensive in the long run, which is a large factor for me. I have a #5 Ti nib, and in all likelyhood, would aquire a #6 for a Minimalistica.

So for me it looks like three considerations. Aesthetics, as you mentioned, and overall cost, to include additional nibs.

I sense a package from Belgium in my future!

I like the Delrin finish a lot but sometimes find myself wishing I had a demonstrator so I could show people how the pen works. Either way, the pen is great and will serve you well.

"Alea iacta est". "Wheels have been set in motion". Six weeks.

Edited by kd3