M800 Or M400 Suggestions For Next Purschase

m_osman

I really don't care for the new 400's nibs. Does Cult Pens sell vintage?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• m_osman

• Bo Bo Olson

• BillH

• DrCodfish

I really don't care for the new 400's nibs. Does Cult Pens sell vintage?

No, as far as I know they only sell new.

Well, you can't really go wrong with either option!

Even though you've already made your decision, I want to throw in my two cents as well to try and convince you to try an 800 in the future!

I've been carrying around a blue M600 (fine nib) for the past half decade and use it almost every day. It works great for me either posted or unposted and the girth is just perfect. Like you, I tried out the Pilot C823 and absolutely despised it. Partly because of the comparatively dry and inconsistent flow (even with the valve opened), but mostly due to the weight. My problem with the 823 was that the weight was distributed in the centre of the body due to the metal vacuum rod. I found the M800, while heavier, to be much more comfortable because most of its weight resided in the brass piston at the end, so I could adjust my grip accordingly. I don't post the M800 but it feels like one of the most comfortable pens I own. I just hope you don't completely abandon the M800 just by its weight and will give it a chance in the future!

Finally someone who didn't have the C823 work for them like me . I thought the problem was in my hands :D. What concerns me is the girth of section + weight of the m800 not just the weight. Where I live I don't have the luxury to try it first so its a hit or miss.

So I ordered the M400 Brown tortoiseshell :D , but now I am craving to make another buy next to it a Black M800 or a M600 turquoise. Give or take they are the same price. Those pelikans beauties are driving me nuts :yikes:

Do think about semi-flex '50-65 400 or 400nn pens.

There is such a huge world of difference with line variation on demand.

Those vintage semi-flex nibs, and the semi-vintage regular flex ('82-97) have a nice clean line, that is missing in modern.

The like regular flex are in a 3 X tine spread set. You do have to mash the regular flex to get 3 X, semi-flex takes half that pressure to get 3 X tine spread.....that you don't want to do all the time anyway. It gives you that old fashioned fountain pen flair with out having to do anything.

The modern 400/600 are semi-nails that when mashed will give 2 X. They are double kugal/ball nibs with a fatter tip................so that folks that refuse to learn how to hold a fountain pen can write holding it like a ball point. Made stiffer to prevent so many bent nibs from being returned for repair.

At least see about buying a semi-flex nib for your 400/600's. I had a '54 semi-flex B on my 605 :puddle:.

I agree there are so, so many beautiful 600's.............. :lol: I of course have enough 400 semi and maxi-semi-flex nibs, I could put one on any of the 600's and have a near perfect pen.

Don't care for the boring modern post '97 nibs**....outside the springy 200 which has remained regular flex with the semi-vintage and vintage width.

The modern nib is more butter smooth....and has more chance to be baby bottomed than the older nibs....if butter smooth is all you want......do stay away from slick paper.

** They do make for a good stubbed or CI nib. Either will take away boring.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

So I ordered the M400 Brown tortoiseshell :D , but now I am craving to make another buy next to it a Black M800 or a M600 turquoise. Give or take they are the same price. Those pelikans beauties are driving me nuts :yikes:

Then I change my statement from getting both to getting all three. M800 Stresemann and M600 turquoise. Pelikans hold up value pretty well in second hand market (~ -30% of new price) and they move fast. You can then find out whichever you like and start spending thousands on collecting that model. Its all very simple in the Pelikan land, you see...

Congrats on the brown tortoise. Its a really, realy nice pen.

Edited by invisuu

Do think about semi-flex '50-65 400 or 400nn pens.

There is such a huge world of difference with line variation on demand.

Those vintage semi-flex nibs, and the semi-vintage regular flex ('82-97) have a nice clean line, that is missing in modern.

The like regular flex are in a 3 X tine spread set. You do have to mash the regular flex to get 3 X, semi-flex takes half that pressure to get 3 X tine spread.....that you don't want to do all the time anyway. It gives you that old fashioned fountain pen flair with out having to do anything.

The modern 400/600 are semi-nails that when mashed will give 2 X. They are double kugal/ball nibs with a fatter tip................so that folks that refuse to learn how to hold a fountain pen can write holding it like a ball point. Made stiffer to prevent so many bent nibs from being returned for repair.

At least see about buying a semi-flex nib for your 400/600's. I had a '54 semi-flex B on my 605 :puddle:.

I agree there are so, so many beautiful 600's.............. :lol: I of course have enough 400 semi and maxi-semi-flex nibs, I could put one on any of the 600's and have a near perfect pen.

Don't care for the boring modern post '97 nibs**....outside the springy 200 which has remained regular flex with the semi-vintage and vintage width.

The modern nib is more butter smooth....and has more chance to be baby bottomed than the older nibs....if butter smooth is all you want......do stay away from slick paper.

** They do make for a good stubbed or CI nib. Either will take away boring.

Thank you Bo Bo for your detailed information. I like more the modern pelikan bodies but definitely I appreciate vintage flex nibs. I will add some vintage flex down the road for sure, it has always been on my mind.

Then I change my statement from getting both to getting all three. M800 Stresemann and M600 turquoise. Pelikans hold up value pretty well in second hand market (~ -30% of new price) and they move fast. You can then find out whichever you like and start spending thousands on collecting that model. Its all very simple in the Pelikan land, you see...

Congrats on the brown tortoise. Its a really, realy nice pen.

Thank you ! with your new statement my wallet will not start to like you. :D

...snip

Thank you ! with your new statement my wallet will not start to like you. :D

:lol: You haven't seen anything yet... Pelikans are the rabbits of fountain pens. Go ahead and buy a 10 or 12 pen case now, you'll probably need it. Welcome to the obsession!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Finally someone who didn't have the C823 work for them like me . I thought the problem was in my hands :D. What concerns me is the girth of section + weight of the m800 not just the weight. Where I live I don't have the luxury to try it first so its a hit or miss.

I also don't care much for the Pilot 823 and will eventually sell mine. The section, if I'm not mistaken (it's been 2 years since I last used it), is noticeably thinner than the section on the M800s . The M800's, on the other hand, are perfect for me. Maybe that is the reason I have "a few" of them ;) . BillH is totally right!

:lol: You haven't seen anything yet... Pelikans are the rabbits of fountain pens. Go ahead and buy a 10 or 12 pen case now, you'll probably need it. Welcome to the obsession!

:lticaptd:

Funny, but so very true!

I also don't care much for the Pilot 823 and will eventually sell mine. The section, if I'm not mistaken (it's been 2 years since I last used it), is noticeably thinner than the section on the M800s . The M800's, on the other hand, are perfect for me. Maybe that is the reason I have "a few" of them ;) . BillH is totally right!

:lticaptd:

Funny, but so very true!

but to give some credit to the c823, the nib is very nice. I only noticed that it has a small sweet spot but nothing serious but maybe because it was fine.

I did already order a 12 pen case just a couple of hours before BillH said that ! :rolleyes:

I hope BillH doesn't say I need an M1000 in this pen case. :D

Edited by m_osman

Indeed, the C823 has a very nice nib (mine is F too). That is the only reason I didn't sell mine yet.

But, after two years without using the pen, I think it is safe to let it go.

Honestly I love the 3 colors and can't decide :(

I can well empathize with your quandary as I had this problem concerning the red- and blue-striated M400s - both so beautiful but which one to buy first. So I hadn't bought either because I couldn't decide. Ending up finding good deals on both on the very same day and, fortunately, I was flush at the time. :)

The three you've selected are all beauties. If 'twere me, I'd go with the brown tortoise because the Stresseman is part of the current line-up (so easily obtainable) and the turquoise 600, while LE, should be available for a while. The brown tortoise, on the other hand, is gone so finding one will just get harder as time goes on.

Edited by chromantic

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

not vintage flex :rolleyes: ....if you mean superflex, there you have to go into the '30's though my post war 100n is first stage superflex; easy full flex with a 5 X a light down stroke tine spread.

Semi-flex is no more a "flex" nib than a regular flex,

The 3 X tine set is, regular flex, semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex....don't press the nib more than 3 X or you will spring the nib.

Regular flex which when well mashed will go to 3 X a light down stroke.

The vintage school pen 120, semi-vintage '82-97 400, '85 to now 200.

Unfortunately, my CN war nib is only regular flex. Some lucky folks get at least semi-flex and others perhaps maxi....according to the raves I've read.

Semi-flex takes half the regular flex pressure. Maxi-semi-flex half of that or 1/4th the pressure needed to go 3 X with a regular flex.

Those on the whole would be post WW2, '50-65 for the 140, 400-400n-400NN. I do have a maxi in a post war Ibis.My 500 OBBB & 400NN OF are also maxi's....that don't mean yours will be. Be at least semi-flex.

The 1000 has a semi-flex nib.

My WOG; in I have 16 maxi's, is 1 in 5; in I have to discount the Osmia/Osmia-Faber-Castel pens, in they are the only nibs marked to which flex it actually has. Diamond nib for semi-flex, Supra nib for maxi.

Nail like the modern 800 = 1X only....no tine spread.

(The '88-90 has that great W.Germany slightly springier regular flex nib, like the '82-90 400's or the '85-90 200. I think the 800 like the 400 and 200 all had the Germany a slight tad less springy nibs. I think the 800 went over to nail, the same time in '98 the 400/600 became semi-nail.

Semi-nail is a well mashed 2 X. Modern 400/600.

One of the few regular flex nibs left in the world is the nice springy 200........in no one ever chimes in to brag their modern regular flex.

There is also ...but not made by Pelikan, the 'Springy' nib, very good tine bend, but only 2 X tine spread like the Falcon, modern MB or the grand 'Springy' nib of the new Lamy Imporium.....the best of the 'Springy' nibs I've tried by far.

For me to just say....'Flex' is like....Yep, that car has a big motor.....so the question is, 4 cylinder, 6, 8 or 12.....and a Porsche has a big 4 cylinder motor.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

...snip

I did already order a 12 pen case just a couple of hours before BillH said that ! :rolleyes:

I hope BillH doesn't say I need an M1000 in this pen case. :D

Far be it from me, to tell another user what he needs in his pen case :)

But I wanted to try one once, so I bought it. Then I liked it so I bought the other color. Now the dilemma is they look silly by themselves with all the smaller birds, so when the 1005 comes out I will surely buy it, to even it out, dontcha know.

Reminds me of the story about the guy who goes into the jazz bar, orders a beer, and the pianist is striking only one note, over and over. After a time of this he goes over to the piano and says to the guy,

"Hey man, why are you only using one note? All the other musicians use all 88 notes."

The jazzman stops, then looks up at him and says,

"All those guys are still looking for it... I found it!"

Until I "find it" I will always have more than one. :thumbup:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso