M800 Or M400 Suggestions For Next Purschase

m_osman

Hi All,

I am looking to add one more pelikan to my collection, my pelicans are usually my workhorse pens. In rotation and always daily writers. My current pelikans are a green marble m200 and a green m600 stripe.

The size and weight of the m600 is perfect for me, I find the m200 a little bit on the smaller side and lighter side. I never experienced any bigger/thicker/ heavier pens except for the pilot custom 823, it was heavy for me and I didn't like the balance of it and had to return it.

I am looking into the M400 in brown tortoiseshell / Stresemann OR the M800 Stresemann.

I like the Stresemann and brown tortoiseshell so much, one more on the vibrant warm side and the other sleek simple modern side.

Size

Which route should I go M400 or M800? Will the M800 be too heavy/big , Will the M400 be exactly like the M200? is the experience of the M600 closer to the M200/M400 or M800?

Color

If M400 which color ?

Please help

**Edit Update: Now I am considering the M600 Turquoise since I am very comfortable with the m600 size , weight and comfort

Edited by m_osman

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• m_osman

• Bo Bo Olson

• BillH

• DrCodfish

Pelikan 600 =11g body only

Pilot 823 = 19g body only

Pelikan 200/400 = 9g body only

Pelikan 800 = 21g body only

I suggest you buy the colour you like! :)

Add lightness and simplicate.

I would suggest the M805 Stresemann... I completely love mine. The M400 will be the same size as the M200 pens. And my first M600 made me think that was my perfect size, but I've grown to love the M800's more. Good luck to you, and let us know what you decide!

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Tale of the tape:

M600 perfect = 11g

M200 too light = 9g

Custom 823 too heavy = 19g

M800 = 21g

M400=M200= 9g

Sounds like you need another M600.

I personally appreciate varied sizes and weights depending on my mood and conditions, but historically favor bigger, beefier pens. With that said, I just ordered the M120 Iconic Blue which will be my lightest pen, so will see how I get along with it. It is just awesome looking and I wanted a pocket pen.

Pelikan 600 =11g body only

Pilot 823 = 19g body only

Pelikan 200/400 = 9g body only

Pelikan 800 = 21g body only

I suggest you buy the colour you like! :)

Very informative , Thank you !

I would suggest the M805 Stresemann... I completely love mine. The M400 will be the same size as the M200 pens. And my first M600 made me think that was my perfect size, but I've grown to love the M800's more. Good luck to you, and let us know what you decide!

Do you have small or big hands?

Tale of the tape:

M600 perfect = 11g

M200 too light = 9g

Custom 823 too heavy = 19g

M800 = 21g

M400=M200= 9g

Sounds like you need another M600.

I personally appreciate varied sizes and weights depending on my mood and conditions, but historically favor bigger, beefier pens. With that said, I just ordered the M120 Iconic Blue which will be my lightest pen, so will see how I get along with it. It is just awesome looking and I wanted a pocket pen.

hahaha I was thinking the same, another M600 but I can't find a color that I like !

If you find the M200 too light, the M400 may not work for you. The M400 is essentially the same pen with a gold nib and slightly better trim/material/finishing.

Best to try a M800/M805 in person, if you can. The removable piston mechanism also helps maintain the pen (you don't necessarily need it, but it's there to help in case you do) if you plan to use the pen frequently, perhaps even with many different inks.

Edited by alwayssunnyalwaysreal

Selling part of my pen and ink collection: https://alwayssunnyalwaysreal.wordpress.com/for-sale/

Aurora Optima Mare | Diplomat Aero (SOLD) | Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (SOLD) | Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Translucent Bronze (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Antique Glass (SOLD)

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Grenadilla (SOLD) | Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Black/Rosé (SOLD) | Karas Kustoms Ink Red Aluminum (SOLD) | Lamy 2000 (SOLD) | Lamy AL-star CopperOrange | Lamy Scala Dark Violet | Lamy Scala Glacier | Montegrappa Fortuna Mosaico Marrakech (SOLD) | Omas Ogiva Alba Green

Parker IM Midnight Astral | Pelikan Classic M120 Iconic Blue | Pelikan Classic M200 Demonstrator | Pelikan Classic M200 Green-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Classic M205 Blue-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Green/Black-Red/Tortoiseshell-White (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Tortsoiseshell-White | Pelikan Souverän M405 Black-Blue-Silver (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M600 Violet-White | Pelikan Souverän M605 Solid Dark Blue | Pelikan Souverän M805 Stresemann (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green (SOLD) | Pilot Falcon Black/Rhodium (SOLD)

Pilot Vanishing Point Blue Carbonesque (SOLD) | Platinum 3776 Century Nice Pur | Sailor 1911L Anchor Gray/Fresca Blue/Key Lime/Royal Tangerine/Stormy Sea (SOLD) | Sailor 1911S Color Blue (SOLD) | Sailor Professional Gear Slim Four Seasons Yukitsubaki Snow Camellia (SOLD) | TWSBI ECO Transparent Green | TWSBI ECO Transparent Yellow | TWSBI Diamond 580AL Blue/Lava Orange (SOLD) | TWSBI Vac 700 (SOLD) | Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi (SOLD) | Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers (SOLD) | Waterman Carène Ombres et Lumières | AND MORE!

Exploring new worlds is fun, exploring the world of Pelikan M800 pens is pretty expensive. I agree with two suggestions you have already been given:

Try-before-you-buy is good advice

when it comes to the M800. Selling your slightly used M800 could be harder and more cost than it was to buy it new.

Second, If the M800 turns out of be too big of a bite then by all means get another example of the best pen Pelikan makes, that would be the M600. You will have to join my letter writing campaign to Hanover for us to get the best of the best-a M600 tortoise (no bias here, just stating the facts).

Not sure your color preferences but there are lots of variants available.

If you did not like the Pilot 823 you are not going to like the M800. They are very similar in feel with the Pelikan being a little more back weighted. I suggest you stick with the M60x models you like best.

Have you seen the all dark blue M600? It is not that dark, almost the color of the Iconic blue 120.

If you find the M200 too light, the M400 may not work for you. The M400 is essentially the same pen with a gold nib and slightly better trim/material/finishing.

Best to try a M800/M805 in person, if you can. The removable piston mechanism also helps maintain the pen (you don't necessarily need it, but it's there to help in case you do) if you plan to use the pen frequently, perhaps even with many different inks.

Exploring new worlds is fun, exploring the world of Pelikan M800 pens is pretty expensive. I agree with two suggestions you have already been given:

Try-before-you-buy is good advice

when it comes to the M800. Selling your slightly used M800 could be harder and more cost than it was to buy it new.

Second, If the M800 turns out of be too big of a bite then by all means get another example of the best pen Pelikan makes, that would be the M600. You will have to join my letter writing campaign to Hanover for us to get the best of the best-a M600 tortoise (no bias here, just stating the facts).

Not sure your color preferences but there are lots of variants available.

I am thinking best bet is m600

If you did not like the Pilot 823 you are not going to like the M800. They are very similar in feel with the Pelikan being a little more back weighted. I suggest you stick with the M60x models you like best.

I feel so as well , I have small-medium sized hands and I find the 823 very big for my taste. Thinking m600 Turquoise

Have you seen the all dark blue M600? It is not that dark, almost the color of the Iconic blue 120.

Not Really, I am thinking now the M600 Turquoise

I think the M600 Turquoise is a great idea for you. If I had the money I would be really tempted by it.

As it happens I posted a pic of the all blue m605 on the thread about the iconic blue 120 just yesterday.

If you are into tortoise you might appreciate the m620 SE Berlin for sale now at fivestar pens.com. Beautiful, I would buy I myself but I think the CFO would probably not approve the expenditure and I really don't want to spend another fortnight out in the dog house.

I think a M600 would be a good decision. Personally, I think I could go "up" to that size, but have no desire to go beyond it. I am a proud owner of three M200's (Cognac, Blue Marbled old style, and Brown Marbled) and could remain happy with Pelikan's of that size. (M200 & M400) The turquoise is a beautiful pen.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The M400 will be small and light, like your M200. The M800 will be bigger, thicker, and heavier, like your Pilot 823. Neither seem to fit your taste in size. If the M600 is more to your taste, than you'd be well served to look there for your next pen unless you have the opportunity to try out an M800 prior to purchasing. Its a big purchase to regret later. The Turquoise is a great pen so long as you don't mind white.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

400nn, thin like your 200....medium long like your 600, semi-flex nib, that can be used in your 600 or 200. Took me a couple of years to decide the 400nn had a tad better balance than the 400(200).

Back when I had only five pens in my top five best balanced pens, it was number 4. Now I have at least 10 pens in my top 5. :P

It like your 200 and 600 has best balance when posted.

Somehow holds more ink than any other Pelikan. 1.97cl.

149 holds 1.60; the same amount as the large Sheaffer cartridge. :lticaptd:

1000 holds 1.47 about as much as a 146.

600/800 holds 1.37

200/400 1.27.

If you decide to get one, buy in German Ebay. The seller has to take pay pal, and ship to the states, there are idiots that won't.

A 400nn tortoise can be had if you look for E100-120. It may take a week or three, but the Hunt is actually half the fun. Set your budget, bid no more than 10% over it, and bid only once or snipe. Don't get in a stupid ego nickle and dime bidding war with an rich idiot.

If you push the "Buy Now Idiot' button, you can pay nearly as much as in the States.

Personally, I'd never sell a pen in Germany when I can have those generous folks :unsure: in the States pay twice as much as I can get in Germany.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Finally I narrowed it down to M400 or M600 , M800 is out of the game , too heavy and uncomfortable to me.

I only order from Cultpens.

The options I have now that are available are M400 brown tortoiseshell / Stresemann OR M600 Turquoise

Honestly I love the 3 colors and can't decide :(

Finally I narrowed it down to M400 or M600 , M800 is out of the game , too heavy and uncomfortable to me.

I only order from Cultpens.

The options I have now that are available are M400 brown tortoiseshell / Stresemann OR M600 Turquoise

Honestly I love the 3 colors and can't decide :(

Well, you can't really go wrong with either option!

Even though you've already made your decision, I want to throw in my two cents as well to try and convince you to try an 800 in the future!

I've been carrying around a blue M600 (fine nib) for the past half decade and use it almost every day. It works great for me either posted or unposted and the girth is just perfect. Like you, I tried out the Pilot C823 and absolutely despised it. Partly because of the comparatively dry and inconsistent flow (even with the valve opened), but mostly due to the weight. My problem with the 823 was that the weight was distributed in the centre of the body due to the metal vacuum rod. I found the M800, while heavier, to be much more comfortable because most of its weight resided in the brass piston at the end, so I could adjust my grip accordingly. I don't post the M800 but it feels like one of the most comfortable pens I own. I just hope you don't completely abandon the M800 just by its weight and will give it a chance in the future!

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

I agree with Songyi. Love the M800. I use it unposted. It writes wonderfully. It is a great writer, but my favorite modern Pelikan is the M600. Posted, it feels and writes perfectly. All day writing is a breeze. I must note, however, that my nib is a Pendleton Brown CI.