How Slippery Are Modern Jotters?

I recently unearthed an old Parker jotter I had in school. I'm reminded of the stylishness of the all-steel look, and I'm pleasantly surprised that the quinkflow still flows. However, I'm also reminded about how my fingers still flow around and down that steel barrel, unless I take it in a death-grip.

I wouldn't mind an update, and I like the look of some of the newer London-themed jotters, but it won't be much good if it's another thing I can look at but not use. Does the coloured finish make much difference to the ease of gripping the pen, or is it still slippery steel? Am I better off going plastic, or with something with a thicker barrel?

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Conan the Grammarian

• Mike 59

• WarrenB

• Princeps Anglorum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have seen the London themed Jotters but not tried. For best grip, the plastic barrrels are the best, but the coloured laquer, (black, violet, orange, dark blue,) are fine for me, and really a lot better grip than the all stainless types, which can be hard to keep a grip, especially if we get any warm weather.

The new Quinkflow refills with the hybrid ink are a great deal better than the old 80s Powerpoints.

Of my Parker ballpoints, I actually prefer the Frontier, which is about 2mm thicker overall.

Thanks Mike. I've since had a look at the London jotters in a couple of supermarkets, and they at least seem lacquered compared to the stainless (flighter?) version, but I figured staff would take a dim view if I started opening boxes.

I suppose I'll just bite the bullet, for all they cost; but an FP binge is keeping me occupied at the moment.

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

I have never had a problem with fingers slipping on a jotter. But I always found the plastic barrels more to my liking than the stainless steel. I have one of the new ones but havent used it yet (not that I use any of them to write at any length).

I find the Jotters too narrow at the writing end to get a decent grip on them and, because of that, use them only for quick notes, not long-term writing.

Edited by Conan the Grammarian

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

To me the Jotter is overall, a good design, but in my opinion should have been 'scaled up' in all directions.

I bought the 'Frontier' in the last year it was made in the UK, and that design is loosely a 110% version of the Jotter.

I has the advantage of a rubber grip, and obviously uses the same cartridges.

( I 'lost' mine in a relative's car a few years ago, when I got it back it had been through a winter and summer, and the refill had leaked at the top. It took me about a week of soaking before I could get the clicker parts out and completely restore it, but I was determined to get it going again!)

In my photo, it's clear how the black Frontier is that bit 'fatter' thatn the Jotter, and makes it a comfortable writer.

post-70376-0-76843100-1523791809.jpg

I've found that Jotter or Jotter like BP generally only fit for well, jotting down something, their barrel is just too slim ; I much prefer the old style Urban BP with that contoured bulge a the area you cradle and grip

To me the Jotter is overall, a good design, but in my opinion should have been 'scaled up' in all directions.

Agreed. Parker makes good pens, including the Jotter. It is slim and fits in a notebook easily, but it tapers too much at the tip for anything other than jotting notes. Perhaps that portability was the intent behind the design. It's the sharp taper that ruins it for me.

I have a Parker IM that I've grown fond of and it's a much better gripping pen. In addition, I have an older Parker Sonnet that doesn't taper as much, so is easier to hold for extended writing.

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]