I Would Like To Know About The Penbbs 308...

I would like to know about the Penbbs 308... if we will have the first colors again, the colors that are out of sotck righ now.

I would like to boy the green marble :(

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WJM

• Miles R.

• Mech-for-i

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

you mean the dark green one or that somewhat Turquoise one ; the latter still avai. it seems and also the bright green one too

I'm afraid not likely. I wanted to get the dark green one myself but it wasn't available and one of the sellers informed me that "manufacturers have stopped production". It would seem they just made a batch of them and that's it, they don't make more.

From what I see now on eBay 308 is pretty much out of stock, at least at Chinese sellers. British ones still sell it for tripled price.

me too, I would have liked the #2 or #11 (blue versions) but no more to be found...

oh well, if they don't care for my business, I'll put my money elsewhere (not so difficult at all...)

I'm afraid not likely. I wanted to get the dark green one myself but it wasn't available and one of the sellers informed me that "manufacturers have stopped production". It would seem they just made a batch of them and that's it, they don't make more.

From what I see now on eBay 308 is pretty much out of stock, at least at Chinese sellers. British ones still sell it for tripled price.

Horrible news! I hope that the 309 won't suffer the same fate.

I wonder if that British seller ever sold anything. Their prices are absurd.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

It seems I was wrong, at least partially. I checked again today and there still are offers for Penbbs 308 from Chinese sellers. I don't understand why I didn't see them yesterday via the eBay app. Most colors are sold out, but some are still available

It seems I was wrong, at least partially. I checked again today and there still are offers for Penbbs 308 from Chinese sellers. I don't understand why I didn't see them yesterday via the eBay app. Most colors are sold out, but some are still available

. Maybe the last ones. It is imposible to find the creen marble

I believe the dark green marble ( officially named Forgiveness ) and the purplish-blue ( officially named Purle Cloud ) version were both sold out ; 308 is still available in several different finishing ( varies depend on where one go for the buy ). PenBBS do made repeated re stock but not always all the colors and sometime they just do the same pen in different finishes when replenishing the stock

• 3 weeks later...

On the basis of my experience, I don't recommend Penbbs. I got a 308, and while it is as pretty as can be, it doesn't t write worth (bleep). Won't lay down a consistent line of ink to save its life. I have owned dozens of Chinese pens and this is easily the worst writer of the lot.

On the basis of my experience, I don't recommend Penbbs. I got a 308, and while it is as pretty as can be, it doesn't t write worth (bleep). Won't lay down a consistent line of ink to save its life. I have owned dozens of Chinese pens and this is easily the worst writer of the lot.

This is the first negative comment about the PenBBS nib that I've read in this forum. Did you check the nib with a loupe for tines misalignment? Or is the nib very dry? What ink(s) have you used with it? Did you flush the nib and feed with water and a drop of soap to wash away any residual factory oil that might have hindered the ink flow?

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

This is the first negative comment about the PenBBS nib that I've read in this forum. Did you check the nib with a loupe for tines misalignment? Or is the nib very dry? What ink(s) have you used with it? Did you flush the nib and feed with water and a drop of soap to wash away any residual factory oil that might have hindered the ink flow?

I have tried Private Reserve Black Magic Blue and J. Herbin Éclat de saphire in it. Two completely different inks: same problem with both. I have dismantled the nib assembly and washed it out. Has no effect. I cannot find any misalignment in the tines of the nib, but the tip has a very peculiar shape to it in profile.

Do you use the converter which came with the pen? I had some serious flow issues with mine. Only when I took the converter out and eyedroppered the pen it started to write well and consistently.

Do you use the converter which came with the pen? I had some serious flow issues with mine. Only when I took the converter out and eyedroppered the pen it started to write well and consistently.

Unfortunately, there is no other option for me. I detest eyedropper pens because of the burping (setting aside the Opus 88, an eyedropper filler with a special mechanism that prevents burping), and in this particular case, I would not want to see ink sloshing around inside the barrel because it would spoil its looks (the barrel is nearly transparent). Since the convertor that came with the pen seems to be proprietary---at least, none of the numerous other convertors that I have in my collection will fit in its place---there is no option for replacing it. So even if the convertor is what makes the pen write so badly, I don't see any solution.

Well, short answer to some of the Q. the converter is actually pretty common, used by Chinese pens a lot and not only PenBBS, its the old wide mouth aka Parker std. yes you can put a Parker spec cartridge or converter onto them and they will work straight. Aurora ( and some say Lamy but I had not try it ) also.

As far as the nib goes, I had more that half a dozen PenBBS and all of them work fine straight for me, I do clean and flush my pens whole ( including the converter ) before even the 1st inking but that's all I did to them. The nib profile, that turned up tip is a feature to best utilize the pen for writing its intended language and yo can guess what, but I've been using them for writing other language without any fanfare.

I suspect with your issue, the nib/feed assembly might be to blame, something surely is amiss in the whole assembly either blocking or hindering ink flow, it can be simple as a blocked ink channel from plastic chipped off to grease that just would not flush out; if you do not have another nib/feed assembly then the best option is to screw the assembly off and simply pull the nib and feed off the assembly and clean all of them through, re-assemble and then put it back into the section and see if it solve the problem. That stated, PenBBS do sell extra nib/feed assembly in both the F ( same as that come with the pen ) and EF ( with a more nominal pointed straight tipping )

So even if the convertor is what makes the pen write so badly, I don't see any solution.

Maybe try Parker converter or short Parker cartridges (long ones won't fit inside the barrel)

[Deleted: wrote before seeing post by Mech-for-I above.]

Edited by Miles R.

I don't think so: PenBBS made the nipple of the grip section wider than those of other pens, so that other convertors and cartridges will not fit. Another black mark against this brand in my book.

are you sure, I just take my 308 and try my Parker convertor, it goes on without any fanfare and I can draw water in and out , vigorously shaking it produce no leak at the convertor nor the section ( but of course water fly out from the nib end ). I do not have any Parker cartridge so I cannot comment on whether they fit right or not.

Based on this logic I wouldn't suggest anyone buy a Montblanc 149, because mine came with a nib that needed a bunch of work.

Based on my experience I don't know why I didn't buy more while there was still a choice in colors. I have 3 and they are very consistent. Smooth with a nice flow, excellent weight, size and a standard no. 6 nib.

• 2 weeks later...

For last three weeks I've been using eyedroppered Penbbs 308 and I can say that while eyedroppered, mine is a superb pen. Smooth, consistent, nicely wet and I haven't had any burping or leaks.