A Fp-Friendly, Cheap Lined Paper?

ParkerDuofold

PD, how do you like the ones that you bought? Do you use both sides?

I have super cheap pads of paper that I can use fps with, but they all bleedthrough like crazy, so I just use one side. The feathering is ok, but the ink color hues tend to distort b/c the paper absorbs the inks in weird ways.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dip n Scratch

• ParkerDuofold

• bluebellrose

• Honeybadgers

The best bang for your buck paper I've found has been the Fauxdori inserts I found at Michael's (usually located near the stamps and scrapbooking supplies.)

$2-3 each for a fair number of pages with a paper that is very reminiscent of genuine Travelers Notebook inserts. I keep at least one on my desk for quick notes that I need longer than jotting it on my whiteboard.

Are there any British people that have read this?

I see suggestions of products that are said to be good, but they are not available in the UK.

I am using a Europa A5 notebook (by Clairfontaine). With my Herbin Larmes de Cassis I am getting show-through. Parker Quink Permanent Blue is OK, as is Hero 234. I don't know the paper weight. I was just looking to see if there is a paper that is good with any of the inks I use. I also have a green blend I have named Vert d' Aquarium. I am sure that is going to be problematic when I use it.

Cheap? Try paper made in India. At the dollar store. For one dollar. (And the India 3x5 cards aren't bad either).

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

This years batch of Mead composition books is entirely acceptable, at least with my lefty friendly ink collection. Probably not double sided capable unless you really dont mind show through or are using narrow nibs.

post-42152-0-46421400-1523888876_thumb.jpegpost-42152-0-42148800-1523888889_thumb.jpegpost-42152-0-18721000-1523889250_thumb.jpegpost-42152-0-49908800-1523889301_thumb.jpeg

More reliably available but not as cheap, Maruman. Mine are blank, but they make 7mm (aka college rule) and graph rule.post-42152-0-31203800-1523889517_thumb.jpegpost-42152-0-97269300-1523889524_thumb.jpeg

Regular price on these is about $6, for 80 pages of B5 that is usable on both sides.

Lol made in Vietnam, a traditonal tributary state within the Sino sphere of influence whom have been making paper for centuries. That's why they are acceptable for fountain pen inks. Anything made in USA isn't fp friendly at all. It feathered even worse than newsprint

You're about 4 months early to be asking that question. The annual back to school sale hasn't even started yet!

I did discovered that I have some cheap fp friendly paper in my room that I got for 9 cents a package. Or ahem 10 cents per notebook 80 sheets. They are a store brand, not the brand name Hilroy/mead or rebranded Hilroy paper you find at staples.

:) I got them from Loblaws or out in the west Real Canadian superstore.

Edited by bluebellrose

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

I had to chuckle at this question -- as I was asking it myself until I took some advice from one of the fellow (I guess retired budget) "cheapskates" here on FPN. And I will happily reshare his advice and add my findings. This is Practice Paper -- but solid.

Advice --0 See if you have a nearby Dollar General" store. (I could not find tis in any of its competitors.) Look in the School, stationary and art section (sorta moves around in various Dollar General locations -- cast your eyes (generally) upon the lowest shelves, closest to the floor. You will see 3 hole ruled small and wide ruled filler paper and some notebooks of the same paper. 10.5 x 8 inches in size. I usually get the wide ruled. Look for the label (small, often near the price bars) MADE IN INDONESIA and their DOLGENCORP, LLC Tennessee street address.

The other labeled brands do not have the qualities this stuff does. Frinstance it does not feather, even with my Heart of Darkness. Using X Feather it does not bleed through UNLESS one of my eyedropper pens burps OR I hold the pen in one spot of the paper too long rather than lifting it. A fast second run over the lines just made WILL bleed, too.

The good part -- $1.00 per 125 sheets -- 250 pages. That brinbgs it to a whole $5 per ream.

Yes, it is reminiscent of my old school days, but this is PRACTICE PAPER.

I save my Rhodia and stantionary grades for real work.

I had to chuckle at this question -- as I was asking it myself until I took some advice from one of the fellow (I guess retired budget) "cheapskates" here on FPN. And I will happily reshare his advice and add my findings. This is Practice Paper -- but solid.

Advice --0 See if you have a nearby Dollar General" store. (I could not find tis in any of its competitors.) Look in the School, stationary and art section (sorta moves around in various Dollar General locations -- cast your eyes (generally) upon the lowest shelves, closest to the floor. You will see 3 hole ruled small and wide ruled filler paper and some notebooks of the same paper. 10.5 x 8 inches in size. I usually get the wide ruled. Look for the label (small, often near the price bars) MADE IN INDONESIA and their DOLGENCORP, LLC Tennessee street address.

The other labeled brands do not have the qualities this stuff does. Frinstance it does not feather, even with my Heart of Darkness. Using X Feather it does not bleed through UNLESS one of my eyedropper pens burps OR I hold the pen in one spot of the paper too long rather than lifting it. A fast second run over the lines just made WILL bleed, too.

The good part -- $1.00 per 125 sheets -- 250 pages. That brinbgs it to a whole $5 per ream.

Yes, it is reminiscent of my old school days, but this is PRACTICE PAPER.

I save my Rhodia and stantionary grades for real work.

Grins, why would I spend 1 dollar for 125 sheets? When I can get 150 sheets for 25 to 10 cents a package that's fp friendly? Beat ya to cheaper fp friendly paper.

Alternatively check out your local Daiso as well. I found Kokuko Campus Notebooks there. They are fountain pen friendly. At least I hope JetPens aint lying!

Or you could do this. Buy any old paper you can find for sale cheaply and buy Platinum Black ink and use in your pens on the cheap paper. Sooner or later you'll come across a batch that is fp friendly to all inks.

Edited by bluebellrose