Is Paper Something I Should Pay Attention To, Or Not?

Cassotto

Basically, to make your own paper you need a source of pulp or rag (the actual paper fibers), a frame, suitable sizing, and space to dry it. It’s not a very high tech process.

Historically the best papers are from rice, hemp, linen and cotton, depending on your culture and which plant was the most common. The next step up is animal skin like vellum and parchment. The next step down is cellulose from other sources, which usually degraded faster due to impurities. Mostly tannic acid.

A lot of artist grade papers are still made in this way. Most cheaper paper is made in a process that uses machines to handle a frame that is bigger than humans can, but they can still use the nicest fibers if they want.

I am even more curious now. Where can I find more information? I am still thinking it would be difficult to get it smooth and thin.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cassotto

• Olya

• DrSam

• johnboz

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to know that paper making isn't that hard, thought it would be more complicated..

Am I not the only one who has thought it might be worth having a go at it? All my experiments end up in disaster, but I always like to try.

The only problem is that I've read more about the process after reading Torrilin's post, and it does look very complicated to me!

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (Oscar Wilde)

I'm glad to see a few other people writing blogs and strongly interested in paper! I collected paper more than pens when I started, looking for a perfect paper for me. I think I have finally found it, but I keep looking...

As for the difference good paper will make- it will make your writing look a lot crisper, the ink will look different, and the nib will (typically) feel a lot smoother when you write. If you want to see some examples of what differences paper can make to how your writing looks, check my first blog post where I review a range of fountain pen papers: https://fountainpenfriendlyblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/23/first-blog-post/

One last question, any suggestion for writing paper with some sort of ornament? I haven't used that since I was a child and had lots of sets with teddy bears, sailing boats on a blue sea...

I really like Life Writing Paper and a lot of it has some sort of ornament. You can see a good example on the JetPens product page. While it may be a little outrageous for some, I enjoy using one sheet of this to start a letter and then switching to blank paper for the remainder.

I've got a blog!

Fountain Pen Love

I'm glad to see a few other people writing blogs and strongly interested in paper! I collected paper more than pens when I started, looking for a perfect paper for me. I think I have finally found it, but I keep looking...

As for the difference good paper will make- it will make your writing look a lot crisper, the ink will look different, and the nib will (typically) feel a lot smoother when you write. If you want to see some examples of what differences paper can make to how your writing looks, check my first blog post where I review a range of fountain pen papers: https://fountainpenfriendlyblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/23/first-blog-post/

Wow! Thanks! This requires being read slowly and carefully, and that's exacty what I'll do.

I really like Life Writing Paper and a lot of it has some sort of ornament. You can see a good example on the JetPens product page. While it may be a little outrageous for some, I enjoy using one sheet of this to start a letter and then switching to blank paper for the remainder.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to figure out whether it can be found over here.

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (Oscar Wilde)

Of course you should!

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill