Namisu Ixion Midnight Blue

visvamitra

Ixion is Namisu seventh Kickstarter Project, launched in June 2017. The pens were offered in three materials - aluminium, brass and titanium. Aluminium was cheapest version, titanium most expensive. The design is quite unique, as the pen features a faceted, clipless cap, and a cylindrical barrel. Of course, it's not entirely new - it may be considered as slightly inspired by Kaweco Sport series. I opted for the Blue Aluminium version, with stainless steel finials and grip, alongside with a medium titanium nib.

fpn_1523169785__ixion_g_8.jpg

fpn_1523169774__ixion_g_7.jpg

In theory, the pen was supposed to arrive to backers in October 2017, but because of few delays I received it in march 2018. I don't really mind as I have plenty of pens to write. Also, compared to a book that I once backed, five months is nothing. The book was delayed three years.

The Pen came in a plastic bag and it contains a Namisu branded nylon pen sleeve that allows to carry the pen safely.

The Namisu Ixion has a clean design and the only branding is the Namisu logo printed onto the faceted cap. The cap is a screw type. It can be posted rather safely on the body of the pen. The Ixion aluminium is made of aircraft-grade aluminium with a brushed stainless steel grip section and finials. The anodising process is supposed to protect the pen from scratches. The aluminium version was available in three colors: Comet Grey, Midnight Blue and Satin Black.

fpn_1523169860__ixion_g_4.jpg

fpn_1523169873__ixion_g_3.jpg

fpn_1523169900__ixion_g_1.jpg

Nib

fpn_1523169916__ixion_g_5.jpg

fpn_1523170146__ixion_18.jpg

fpn_1523170180__ixion_16.jpg

I got the pen with Bock titanium M nib and it's a joy to use. It's extremely wet, allows to get some line variation. It's a fantastic, well tuned nib.

Dimensions

fpn_1523169943__ixion_g_9.jpg

fpn_1523169963__ixion_g_6.jpg

Length - 135 mm capped, 128 mm uncapped

Weight - 42g, for me it's a perfect weight. The pen feels hefty but not too much.

Namisu approach to customer service

The pen is great. Namisu Customer Service isn't. I have no problem with delays but as a customer I expect clear and honest communication from a seller. Everyone can be busy but dropping a line on kickstarter won't take you all day. There's nothing worse than lack of communication from a seller, especially when customers actively look for the feedback but receive none.

Summary

Overall, I think it's a great, well made, well balanced and cool pen. Especially with titanium nib that's a pleasure to use. While I consider Namisu Nova to be much nicer pen (I wish I had backed Nova kickstarter project), Ixion became my new favorite workhorse. It's not for everyone but I love the feel of the metal and the weight is perfect for me.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Jamerelbe

• migo984

• RocketRyan

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review, i have the brass version with a titan nib, its a great pen which i use an awful lot. I really enjoy the titan nibs, they seem to suit my writing style.

I ordered the same pen (blue aluminum with chrome coloured grip section and finials) - only with a stainless steel EF nib. I agree, the pen is great - unfortunately my original nib was damaged on arrival! They replaced it for me fairly promptly though, and I'm really enjoying it. Just such a shame that they couldn't get their act together with updates and handling complaints...

I bought two, both with steel nibs. Pens are just ok but the nibs are a complete disaster. First 2 were only fit for scrap. Unusable and unfixable. After several attempts to contact them, Namisu finally promised to replace them but it took over 7 weeks for them to do so (I’m in the U.K.) and after MANY ignored emails direct to their business email address. Eventually replacements turned up. Unbelievably they were even worse, if that’s possible. If these are Bock first quality nibs then Bock have a real problem, or Namisu have been putting sub standard nibs on these Kickstarter pens.

I can’t be bothered to try to get these nibs replaced. I’ve given up with Namisu. Worst communications and customer service I’ve ever experienced and I won’t buy from them again. I’ll be getting rid of my pens.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I bought two, both with steel nibs. Pens are just ok but the nibs are a complete disaster.

Unpleasant thing. I got some steel nib, but I haven't even tried it. I've been using it with titanium nib since the beginning. Judging by my latest experience with Kaweco nibs, it seems Bock no longer cares.

Unpleasant thing. I got some steel nib, but I haven't even tried it. I've been using it with titanium nib since the beginning. Judging by my latest experience with Kaweco nibs, it seems Bock no longer cares.

I read somewhere that getting nibs delivered by Bock were a big part of the delay with this project - and I've seen a high volume of complaints about their quality (my replacement nib was misaligned, but not as badly as the original, and easy to fix). It's the first time I've had problems with Bock nibs - but it's created an impression for me that Bock's QC went out the window for this latest batch. A real shame! [Like you, Vis, I've never had problems with Bock's titanium nibs - I now own 3, and they're all great writers!]

I got the blue with copper finials. The nib is ok but had to tune it manually. The delay was bad and the lack of communication made it worse. I would not back any other project from Namisu again. Ever.

• 6 months later...

Dear Visvamitra and Jamerelbe

Do you have any ideas/suggestions for a clip on the Ixion? Even i had picked up the titanium and the blue aluminum one.

The titanium one is my regular desk pen. Would be great to have a clip so the cap doesn't roll off the table. Am always worried the pen will roll and fall off.

I even tried the Kaweco clip, but that doesn't work.

Any help leads would be great.