Colors Of Ink Likely To Fade, And Those Not --

Charles Skinner

I'm not sure if this is the one you were referring to or not Amber, but here we go. This a book I have that belonged to my maternal grandfather who passed away April 15, 1959. The publication date on the book is 1923. LaSalle Extension University. He would have signed this not long after the publication date. Probably an iron gall ink, but I don't know that for certain given the time period. Which means this signature is approximately 95 years old. I got the books when my grandma passed in October 1994. At least one other of the books has his signature as well, and might be as late as 1935. As this is one of the earlier volumes in a set of 18. Given their age, they are in remarkable shape.

27612326608_0db04404ba_b.jpgCWT by Brad Merrill, on Flickr

And a photo of the books in question on the shelf.

post-95773-0-50248400-1523836617_thumb.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Corona688

• Morphling27

• Astronymus

Thank you for updating. Bummer about Photobucket.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

From the respective volumes:

Vol 7 Industrial Organization and Management

Volume 12: Advertising

Volume 1: Personal Efficiency and Selling

The signature in red is simply red pencil.

The previous post was in Volume 2: Business Psychology.

There are other notations in various places throughout the different volumes. I don't have them marked though. As these were all in the front flyleaf it wasn't to difficult to locate.

post-95773-0-14069600-1523838116_thumb.jpg

post-95773-0-08909200-1523838157_thumb.jpg

post-95773-0-46046000-1523838189_thumb.jpg

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Charles, check out the fade tests. I recently posted a series of links.

As a generalization, BSB fades the fastest followed by the vintage skip inks and anything washable independent of color.

Black often fades much slower than blue, but most blues fade quite quickly and oranges/yellows (with a few exceptions fade first).

These are generalizations. One of the posts has an explanation about why fade tests will tell you information about the longevity of ink -- because it is just speeding up the process.

If you want your journals to outlast the paper and the cockroaches - use KTC.

Is KTC his most permanent ink he makes? I know it was pretty immovable when reading about it back in the day. Now that I can get the more manageable but completely too much 3oz bottle I may take the plunge if it's the bees knees on never going anywhere ink.

Morph, other inks have stood up in the fade tests too. We used KTC at our plant nursery. It outlasted the paint, the paper, the signs and some of the plastic pots. It is sun, sand and waterproof.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Morph, other inks have stood up in the fade tests too. We used KTC at our plant nursery. It outlasted the paint, the paper, the signs and some of the plastic pots. It is sun, sand and waterproof.

Thank you for that - I know your fade and light and heat resistance tests come from one of the few cities/places comparable to Phoenix. I have a TWISBI eco I keep around to put inks more likely to stain or whatever as it has permanently some pinkish/reddish/blue from some ink that never scrubbed out.

Additionally - you know the humor in buying something like outside patio furniture that claims to 'never fade'. Sure, in 2 summers it will look just as bleached as anything else.

If you want your journals to outlast the paper and the cockroaches - use KTC.

For the record of other confused people, KTC is Noodler's Kung Te Cheng.

Thank you for that - I know your fade and light and heat resistance tests come from one of the few cities/places comparable to Phoenix. I have a TWISBI eco I keep around to put inks more likely to stain or whatever as it has permanently some pinkish/reddish/blue from some ink that never scrubbed out.

Additionally - you know the humor in buying something like outside patio furniture that claims to 'never fade'. Sure, in 2 summers it will look just as bleached as anything else.

I have a picture of UNLV 's building that was really faded.

This may be a hard question to answer. I am concerned, somewhat, about my journals " standing the test of time," so to speak. I should not even worry about it, because I am fairly sure my decedents a hundred years from now will care very little about my life and the world I lived in.

Still, I want to give them that opportunity. My journals will never be exposed to sunlight, which as I understand it, is a big trouble maker when it comes to causing inks to fade. They will always be closed ---- except when being read ---- and likely will be in a dark area.

Now, I like to mix inks and see what I come up with. Today the mixture turned out to be a light golden brown. Nice color, but certainly does not jump off of the page! ---- It is "light," for want of a better word. ---- So, is it more or less likely to fade, or will it make very little difference? Twenty years from now, if half a page is written in a "light color," and the other half written with a dark blue ink, will one fade more than the other? It seems to me ---- unscientific man that I am ---- seems to me that the dark blue would stand the test of time better even if not exposed to sunlight.

Your thoughts, please. Excuse mistakes, if any.

"A fool can ask more questions that a wise man can answer!"

C. S.

Charles, your ink might last a hundred years or more, but your paper might not. I did some reading through court documents written 1857 and 1866. The black ink was easy to read, and so was a document in bright blue, but the paper was fragile. It was legal size folded into thirds, stitched together at the top. Most of the stirtching ribbons had fragmented, and the paper -- heavy stuff and with a coating like nothing I've seen before -- had dried out on the folds. They had to be unfolded delicately, and I tried not to read them a second time. Dust.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight