The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wing Sung 601 Vac: Easy To Clean And Maintain Or Pita?

wing sung vacumatic cleaning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rollerboy

rollerboy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 13:06

Two questions:

1. How do you flush and clean ink from a pen with this sort of filler? I use a pen for a few weeks then clean it and put it away for months before it sees use again. I'm concerned this filler isn't appropriate for that usage pattern.

2. Longevity of diaphragm. Any estimates on that?  What's ages a diaphragm most: pumps, inks, or simply time.

Sponsored Content

#2 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 22:26

No long-term experience for the 2nd question but I've flushed my pen a couple of times and good luck getting the ink and then the water out of the barrel by simply operating the vac.
Both ink and water get trapped in the barrel easily, either because the vacuum isn't strong enough or because the breather tube is long and crooked and they can't reach it and so exit through the nib.
I had to pull out the nib and feed unit both times I flushed the pen. Be careful during this operation because if you put the feed unit back in the wrong way, you'll screw the hood in the wrong way too, always, no matter how you start to screw the hood onto the feed unit. So somehow mark the position of your nib before you pull it out.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#3 hood

hood

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 23:03

The key thing about emptying a vacumatic: to push air out (as when filling), push the plunger in quickly; to push liquid out, push the plunger in slowly.

#4 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:03

I thought you could just unscrew the section and then dry it with a paper towel?

#5 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,606 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:08

I thought you could just unscrew the section and then dry it with a paper towel?

Maybe you're thinking about the Wing Sung 618, piston filler. The 601 has a hood that unscrews and the nib/feed unit is friction fit. 

And I'd tried flushing it without the hood on, and couldn't get a good amount of water out of the barrel. Since I didn't want to pump the water into the next ink bottle, I pulled off the feed unit entirely.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#6 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:03

Though I do not think its needed, its still far easier to remove the piston and/or the vacumatic mechanism from barrel end and juts flush the barrel down with water  and let the water run through and out of the nib side. Personally I have no issue juts nominally cleaning and flushing. Its out getting the hang of it. 

#7 rollerboy

rollerboy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 13:44

On balance, I don't think the replies assuage my concerns but my curiosity is stronger than my caution so I've gone ahead and ordered a 601 anyway.

#8 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2018 - 13:15

Today I flushed my piston version of the 601 and it was much easier than I had expected. If you pump quickly to draw in ink or water and pump slowly to expel, you can get all the ink and water out of the pen quite quickly. The whole process took me less than 5 minutes. Of course, there will still be a couple tiny water droplets in the ink chamber after cleaning, but you'd get that with any piston filler as well, so long as you don't use a Q-tip or something to swab out the inside of the pen. Even the collector cleaned out easily; it just needed a few good flicks while wrapped in a paper tower to get the remaining water out. So don't be afraid to get one of these due to cleaning issues; at least the draw-piston version works marvelously. I would probably avoid using crazy saturated bulletproof inks in it though. I think I'll buy at least one more. 

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wing sung, vacumatic, cleaning

Sponsored Content

|