Pelikan M800 Nib Collar Setting

zepp

Hello all,

I've recently reset a Pelikan M800 nib (aligning feed/nib, adjusting ink flow etc.) and everything is in order. The nib writes smoothly and wonderfully.

Now there's one thing. From the pictures I saw all over the internet, it seems like the collar is set so that 1 fin appears from the end.

See https://www.nibs.com/sites/default/files/product_images/nibs/nib_display/pelikan-M800.jpg

except the 2 nibs in

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/27472-have-you-used-om-ob-obb/

However... by doing so I find the nib to be somewhat dorky and dumb looking when I put the nib back in so I dared not pushing the collar as far down, here's the result: (mind that the pen cap screws on the pen without the nib bottoming out in the cap.

So I wonder... what's the actual depth the collar should be? Is there any... scientic reason why it should be further down etc etc? I did the same thing on my Pelikan 400 nibs from the 1950's to fit in the M600 and the nibs felt so much softer.

Thanks!

(nib is bleeding some r&k salix)

7zut2wY.jpg

VZixtXD.jpg

fv3OBqx.jpg

Edited by zepp

Careful when buying a bird.. you'll end up with a flock before you know it.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zepp

• zaddick

• ralfstc

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

Your nib and feed are much farther out than factory spec.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Hello Zaddick,

Indeed, but for some reason I find it to be more aesthetically pleasant (proportion wise, length/width vs pen etc) and the writing experience is without issue. I am just trying to see if anyone knows something is definitely going to be affected if I don't set it as per factory spec, the risks involved etc. Otherwise, I would like to keep it that way :P

I would guess the only risk is a distortion of the feed, but this is not too likely if you are not pressing hard. If it makes you happy and the flow is fine, I say enjoy it.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

+1

Your nib and feed are much farther out than factory spec.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hi Zepp,

I think if it works as you want it to, then go for it. The only risk I can think of is that the nib gains its stability from the length that is inside the collar. Setting it up the way you have increases the "up" leverage ahead of the collar and reduces the "down" leverage inside the collar. This *might* make some nibs prone to move slightly or even potentially crack at the collar. But these M800 nibs are pretty solid pieces of kit, and as long as you don't go wild, I'd expect it would last decades without damage.

It's interesting to learn that the nib can come forward that much without hitting the inner cap!

Ralf

Hi Zepp,

I think if it works as you want it to, then go for it. The only risk I can think of is that the nib gains its stability from the length that is inside the collar. Setting it up the way you have increases the "up" leverage ahead of the collar and reduces the "down" leverage inside the collar. This *might* make some nibs prone to move slightly or even potentially crack at the collar. But these M800 nibs are pretty solid pieces of kit, and as long as you don't go wild, I'd expect it would last decades without damage.

It's interesting to learn that the nib can come forward that much without hitting the inner cap!

Ralf

This post covers it perfectly. The nib may also be ever so slightly 'wetter' as the retracted collar will allow the nib to seperate from the feed more easily with pressure because the of the added leverage and reduced stability. But for normal use with a light hand the pen I wouldn't be concerned.

Another thing to keep an eye out for is the ink flow - with this collar setting, the feed doesn't go as far into the barrel as the 'stock' nib unit would which theoretically could affect the ink flow because the air delivery into the barrel could be hampered.

Having the nib bottom out on the cap would be my biggest concern. Ive seen it happen. Provided that you can clear that, I echo the sentiments of the others here about the altered nib characteristics.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I actually performed the exact opposite operation. My M800 came with only a 3-4 mm clearance between the tipping and the end of the feed. I reseated it to be slightly in the opposite direction (more of the feed in the grip and more exposure of the underside of the nib). Again, this was purely aesthetic but nothing bad happened in my case. Be careful, but you should be fine barring any capping issues.

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

Thank you everyone for your input!

In fact, the ink flow wasn't too much affected by what I did, it wasn't too wet (though I did notice the change in one of my 400 nib.) and it still wrote nicely. As a safety precaution I pushed the collar just a tad in for the leverage and stability concern.

Guess I just like the nice proportions... :P