I Need A New Pen

BKCooper

I'm still sort of a newbie so far as fp go. I have a pilot metro med and a platinum plasir fine. Sure to funds I will such to the low end of the price spectrum. What other good poems are out there? I know about preppys and pereras but have no clue about other major brands or not so major. I could go for a fine or med nib. Something clean and nice looking that's writes smooth out of the box that takes cartridges. I plan on refilling them with my own ink as I go. So suggest away, and thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BKCooper

• sandy101

• OCArt

• Astronymus

$5 range - Jinhao X-750

$20 range - PenBBS 308 or 323

$100 range - Pilot Custom 74 or Platinum 3776

Do a google search on those pens to see what they look like.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Lower end say $30 or so. And I like the feel of my metro. Now what size that is I'm not sure. Would like to up grade a bit but price is prohibitive.

Do order a Jinhao 750 and a Jinhao 159. Throw on a Baoer 338 and get all three from eBay for less than $10. total. Each are good pens with lots of reviews online and each is a different size and appearance. Also buy a good 10X loupe and watch some YouTube videos on how to align tines-- an easy and very valuable skill for every fountain pen user.

Edited by OCArt

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Lamy Safari is a nice pen in your range.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I was eyeballing a kaweco sport but it had no clip for my front pocket. I like the look of the jinhao 750 and the penbbs. Things lamy, at least at jet pens, is a bit higher than I wanted to go but I might talk myself into it. Need some other things too.

The Chinese make a aluminum bodied pen inspired by the Lamy Alstar-- they are not as well built but they offer very pretty colors and for only $1.50 each

fpn_1522997511__safari_colors.png

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I would recommend Sheaffer VFM I had it for years without any problems. It is lightweight slim aluminium pen, but it accepts only short international cartridges. Pilot metropolitan or MR pop. Lamy Safari Is bit too big and clunky in my opinion. Kaweco sport is great pen, if you look for portability and fun to use, but converters for them are less then worthy of your time. So you will have to reuse ink cartridges, if you want to use bottled ink with sport plastic one can be converted to eyedropper though. Hope this help.

Cheers Milan

If you win over your own stupidity then are you winner or loser? In any case it means something good.

A good old vintage Parker 45 may come to you in the '$30 or so' range. And it may arrive equipped with a 14k nib. Happy hunting.

Khan M. Ilyas

I was eyeballing a kaweco sport but it had no clip for my front pocket.

The Sport can be fitted with an optional clip.

I don't mean to hijack the topic, but what's your favorite 10x loupe?

Please don't encourage me to obtain any more pens. :)

I use a pitman 12x Lol! I'm a printer by trade we Use a glass, loupe, all the time. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Found a couple that really caught my eye. The twsbi eco especially. Have a few more to look up after I get some sleep. Keep it coming yall.

In the under $50 bracket in addition to what you have:

• TWSBI Eco ~$30
  • Lamy Al Star
  • Lamy Safari - with the Al Star (aluminum) and Safari (plastic) you will need to buy a converter. Usually $5, so $30-35 and about $10 more for the Al Star including converter.
  • The downside of the Kaweco Ice Sport for example is its size. Capped it is about the size of a golf pencil. Short cartridges.
  • Parker 45 /45 Flighter - I have paid from $15-$30 - even for a all stainless steel Flighter model. Sometimes with 14k nib. Try and get one that already has a converter. Parker converters are about $7 if you have to buy one. (I need to pick up two or three) Any 45 will be pre-owned. I only paid about $30 for my desk set. And the base is oak.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Another Metro? :D I like my Lamy Vistas but the Metro has a better nib. The Muji aluminium is also nice.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Highly recommend the Eco as well for your price range, but for a pen more like your Metro (metal body, torpedo shape, cartridge/converter): Id recommend a Jinhao x450/x750 with a replacement #6 nib from Goulet Pens, nibs.com or Nemosine. Pen will be under $10, nib for $15 and youll have a great pen.

Good luck!

~AK

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Faber Castell Loom comes with a lovely, smooth writing nib and is within your price range. So I'd put that in the hat for consideration. I have a fine and broad one - both nice writers.

The Parker 45 is also a good suggestion. You should be able to get one with a 14K gold nib. However, not all P45s came with gold nibs - some had steel, or gold coloured steel nibs and not all e-bay sellers will know which one is in the pen. I have a fine and medium - and actually the fine is a nice writer - not buttery smooth, but it gives a nice consistent line. The medium is a smoother writer.

Another option might be a second hand Waterman Hemisphere.